Is this a good deal? (Andertons / Marshall content)

What's Hot
LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ricorico Frets: 1220
    Never really played one in anger but I still use my DSL 401 albeit with a few choice mods and I really like the clean channel for use with pedals. 

The main difference I guess are the output valves and dual reverbs and half power option. 

There is one for sale in the classifieds. 
  • There is one of these in the classifieds described as mint and in the original box for £380. Might be worth a look if you are considering buying one.

http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/110315/fs-virtually-new-mint-marshall-dsl-40c#latest
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • bazxkrbazxkr Frets: 610
    edited August 2017
    I have had one for about 15 months and rate it highly. A lot of flexibility with the two settings on each channel too plus the EQ/reverb etc. Also has the dual power setting on the rear (I'd sooner it be on the front) so you can tame it down at home if need be. It is a large and heavy unit though for a 1 x 12 compared to normal so check those specs out. Has FX loop. Pretty much all you need. Have read some reports that putting a different speaker in there makes it even better but I'm happy with it as it is. Cleans are much nicer than I would normally maybe expect out of a Marshall too. And if you wanna get down & dirty it will get brutal once you engage that red light LOL
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30273
    I think Marshalls are an acquired taste that, with a few exceptions, I've never managed to acquire.
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2873
    edited August 2017
    They're good amps but not with the stock speaker imo. Even a G12-T75 improves the sound massively. Green crunch does the low gain 800 ish thing well and red does that big modded marshall sound too. Just gotta keep treble and presence right down and don't go overboard with the gain. 
  • DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 7069
    There is one of these in the classifieds described as mint and in the original box for £380. Might be worth a look if you are considering buying one.

http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/110315/fs-virtually-new-mint-marshall-dsl-40c#latest
    Thanks KD , that's mine :-)
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2296
    I'm sure the video says they got 90 of them? Probably for a VERY low price. The Andertons deals are nowhere near as good as they used to be a few years back.
  • IMC1980IMC1980 Frets: 141
    I have owned a DSL40C for over a year, I would agree with the comments about the speaker; I always play mine through an Orange closed back 1x12 loaded with a v30 and it slays the stock 70/80. I will swap it out for a Creamback soon and use the 1x12 as a kind of mini stack.

As for the amp itself, I love it. It is pretty versatile with the 4 modes, the green channel takes overdrive pedals well and there is plenty of gain on tap via the red channel.

You can run it at just under 2 on the red channel and get some good tones at bedroom(ish) volume. I don't bother with the 20w mode, it has a spongy sound to it to my ears.

I paid 600 for mine last year and I am still very happy with it, if you like the Marshall sound then go for it.
  • I seem to remember a deal maybe last year where the price dropped on these to £399 for a short time. Did I imagine that or did it really happen?
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6807
    I've always wondered why these aren't as successful or ubiquitous as the Fender Hot Rod Deluxe?
  • zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
    I seem to remember a deal maybe last year where the price dropped on these to £399 for a short time. Did I imagine that or did it really happen?
    I think you're right but it was for the vintage style ones not the classic Marshall logo ones.
    Tomorrow will be a good day.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71950
    Chalky said:
    I've always wondered why these aren't as successful or ubiquitous as the Fender Hot Rod Deluxe?
    I would guess it's because the previous model (DSL401) was not as loud, not as reliable and not as pedal-friendly, and that has - somewhat unfairly, since they're a lot better - tarred the new one with the same brush.

A large part of the not-as-loud bit is down (once again) to the shitty speaker that Marshall chose, which affects the volume and projection as well as the tone. The one in the Fender isn't even brilliant, but at least it's efficient and punchy.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4718
    I put a Classic Lead 80 (100db) in my 401DSL..huge difference in tonal quality, bottom end, clarity and noticeably more volume.
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    Voxman said:
    I put a Classic Lead 80 (100db) in my 401DSL..huge difference in tonal quality, bottom end, clarity and noticeably more volume.
    Exactly. While I know very well what the reason is - penny-pinching - it *still* baffles me why amp companies do it, since for a small reduction in parts cost they absolutely cripple the sound of the amp.

Surely it must cost them in sales, when almost any amp with something like a V30 or a CL80 will thrash any similar-powered amp with a 70/80 (or worse) if you put them side by side in a shop. Marshall also seem to have a habit of using 'custom design' Celestions which are, without exception in my experience, worse-sounding than the tried and tested classics, or any of the new premium models.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

• VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4718
    Baffles me too @ICBM .. I think even the Fender Mustang 3 comes with a Celestion G12T-100 which is a pretty decent speaker for a budget amp ...my Laney VC30-210 has two Jensen C10Q16's that are pretty good speakers. If they can do it, why can't Marshall and others? 
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2873
    edited August 2017
    I'm not sure why it happens either. We have a random DSL40C with a t75 in it and even that sounds much better so at least somebody in r&d agrees that the stock one is shit. Really annoys me as well, nothing worse than an amp being held back by a crap speaker!
  • When Harley Benton can put a vintage12 in their budget cab...

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    TTBZ said:
    I'm not sure why it happens either. We have a random DSL40C with a t75 in it and even that sounds much better so at least somebody in r&d agrees that the stock one is shit. Really annoys me as well, nothing worse than an amp being held back by a crap speaker!
    The most laughable one for me was the DSL201. Stock, with the 'tin frisbee' G12E-50 speaker, the clean channel is bland and the dirty channel is thin and buzzy - and to get the two channels to sound like they even belong in the same amp, the EQ needs to be set radically differently on each channel. I thought the amp was just badly-voiced, until I tried a G12M-25 Greenback in one. Instantly, both channels sounded great and like different-gain versions of the same amp with all the controls set at noon. (And about twice as loud - and that's not even a super-efficient speaker.)

I would take a small bet that R&D prototyped it with the Greenback, and then some twerp from Accounts told them they couldn't do that because it would cost too much, and imposed the cheap piece of crap on it, without revoicing the amp.

• IMC1980IMC1980 Frets: 141
    zepp76 said:
    I seem to remember a deal maybe last year where the price dropped on these to £399 for a short time. Did I imagine that or did it really happen?
    I think you're right but it was for the vintage style ones not the classic Marshall logo ones.
    Yes, the white tolex and "stealth" ones were also about £399 at the same time. Great price.