Is this LP Jr tailpiece issue solvable?

What's Hot
paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3044
edited August 2017 in Making & Modding
I got this LP Jr from Grahame @GSPBASSES ages ago and assembled and finished it myself, the bridge stud holes were predrilled, but the wraparound has always bugged me, note how the strings come over the bridge at an angle, I had to file small slots in the raised intonation bars to keep the strings in line with the pickup and neck, is it the bridge that is wrong or possibly the stud holes slightly off? (Unlikely as Grahames work is spot on) It all works, but bugs me every time I look at it....

http://i.imgur.com/m2cknS9.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/OX85pV7.jpg

Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• john_rjohn_r Frets: 123
    I think the problem is you have fitted a modern compensated bridge which is meant for studs that are not offset, or not offset so far. Probably a traditional style wraparound would work better.
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3044
    I did wonder if that might be the case John.......I'm clueless, more used to Fender types!....strangely it intonates ok....
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• ICBMICBM Frets: 71963
    I don't think a traditional wraparound will work because the strings will be too far to the treble side - where they would be here if you hadn't notched the saddle ridge. The reason this one does is because you can force them over into the correct position.

The problem is that the guitar has been built slightly wrong - the studs are offset lengthwise, but symetrical laterally. If you look at a Gibson with offset studs, they're also further over to the bass side exactly for this reason. Thread duplication I know! - but for anyone who hasn't read the other one, here's an original 50s Special...

https://www.vintageandrare.com/uploads/products/29914/154879/original.jpg

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3044
    Thanks folks! It would appear I have some plugging and redrilling to do....

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14324
    I have posted a very similar answer in the other thread on this exact same topic.

Last year, a friend and I spent an eternity, staring at LPJ DC blueprint .pdfs and scratching our heads - not because we did not understand the need for these offsets but because there were so many different variations on the scale length and, hence, so many fractionally different blueprint drawings to choose between. 
    Be seeing you.
  • sawyersawyer Frets: 732
    edited August 2017
    Don't redrill!Graham has put the bridge holes exactly right. You need a vintage plain wraparound Faber bridge available from Amber guitars. You'll be suprised how close the intonation is! I have one of these on my GSBASSES build. Have a look at my avatar pic.