Wudtone finish

What's Hot
Just put the 5th coat of amber wudtone on a lovely ash Strat body from Guitarbuild.  It looks lovely and what a piece of cake to apply.  I've done a few partscasters in the past but never been happy with my aerosol painting skills, love this stuff :)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Pics!
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775

That's after 4 coats, looking a bit deeper now, going to go for a couple more before the top-coat, even though I want to bolt it all together :)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Great colour scheme, looks good.  I think I have the same bridge on my partscaster.  I've never actually used it as a trem, I run it flat with 5 springs, but it feels nice under the hand.
    Yes, nice solid  and weighty bridge, will probably use mine flat too
  • sawyersawyer Frets: 732
    Sweet! I've built one nearly identical! Did mine with Tru-oil. Got a uncovered Irongear Blues engine. Great minds ha!
  • daveyhdaveyh Frets: 682
    I've been using Wudtone 'Black Magic Woman' to do a Guitarbuild ash strat. Nowhere near black, came out more mahogany coloured. Had to buy extra black and mix it with the clear top coat at Wudtones advice. Still more brown than black.
  • daveyh said:
    I've been using Wudtone 'Black Magic Woman' to do a Guitarbuild ash strat. Nowhere near black, came out more mahogany coloured. Had to buy extra black and mix it with the clear top coat at Wudtones advice. Still more brown than black.

You've got to dab it on heavily to get a solid finish, but then you'll end up with an orange peel look. I did a body in white and it was a disappointment. Hard work, slow and crappy looking, so it's coming off soon.
  • 4114Effects4114Effects Frets: 3131
    tFB Trader
    I tried it a couple of times. Always came out "I guess that'll do" rather than "yeah I really like that". No substitute for proper prep and a good sprayed finish at all. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Probably not a substitute for a good sprayed finish, but mine certainly looks better than anything I've ever done with aerosols and made a lot less mess too
  • John_A said:
    Probably not a substitute for a good sprayed finish, but mine certainly looks better than anything I've ever done with aerosols and made a lot less mess too

The 'rub on' translucent finishes look good I think; it's just the solid ones that are disappointing, in that they're not like the finishes shown on the Wudtone page. The process isn't simply a case of rubbing on the product (like Tru Oil), but rather a lengthy dabbing process that is tricky to do and ends up looking (in my case) less than average.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Never tried to do a solid finish, but the pics on the site look good and have obviously been done with Wudtone.  I think patience is the key, the solid finishes maybe need 20+ coats
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27435
    daveyh said:
    I've been using Wudtone 'Black Magic Woman' to do a Guitarbuild ash strat. Nowhere near black
    I had a similar issue with one of the reds that I tried to use.  Eventually got there, but it was a lot of effort.  You really have to push the product into the wood, small area at a time.  

I found the Crimson stains a *lot* easier to use with more reliable outcomes.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • John_A said:
    Never tried to do a solid finish, but the pics on the site look good and have obviously been done with Wudtone.  I think patience is the key, the solid finishes maybe need 20+ coats

The orange peel effect will probably never go though.

As I say, the transparent kits look good and his neck kits are great, it's just the solid ones that are a bit misleading I feel.
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10264
    tFB Trader
    My approach to oil/die is to use water based dies easily available online, and Birchwood and Casey gun stock oil. The red demo strat was done like that and is really vibrant 
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GSPBASSESGSPBASSES Frets: 2339
    tFB Trader
    It's a good job you know who's not on hear now, or world war 3 would be breaking out by now.

Your life will improve when you realise it’s better to be alone than chase people who do not really care about you. Saying YES to happiness means learning to say NO to things and people that stress you out.

https://www.facebook.com/grahame.pollard.39/

• OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10264
    edited August 2017 tFB Trader
    GSPBASSES said:
    It's a good job you know who's not on hear now, or world war 3 would be breaking out by now.
    Departed ... but his spirit remains :-)
    Regards .......
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• Jez6345789Jez6345789 Frets: 1783
    I think the better way to do solid colour is to use the  Osmo Poly Ox  original product and then use oil paint pigments that way you can load the colours up a lot stronger so needing less coats.  For most solid finishes I used a Windsor Newton white as a base and then the colour over that it. The White if mixed heavy will quickly block out the grain and stuff. And makes it easier to get the solid colour to take on. If you add a  small amount of oil based varnish you can get it to an almost wipe on finish rather than the stippling and dabbing effect. The fun with Poly-ox is you can fiddle with it and tune it to how you like. You probably need to leave it a month to get gloss hard but it will harden off and you can then buff or burnish it out. Also if you buy a small can 250ml or whatever you can afford to be more generous in coats than the small amounts from Wudtone.  Osmo is 15 quid for  375ml for that price you can afford to experiment. 
    edited September 2017
    I had the advice from Wudtone to mix the colour with the clear topcoat so the black sits on top of the wood, making it more opaque. 

Darkened it a little, but still nowhere near the translucent black I was after. Wudtone's repeated 'I think it looks awesome' really didn't help.

https://imgur.com/gallery/hdPjv
    I think it looks great, but if it wasn't what you were expecting that's disappointing 
    I'm definitely thinking it looks good, just not what I was after! I want to exhaust the possibilities of blackening it more first