Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Chibson thoughts.....

What's Hot
Got my hands on a Gibson Chibson fake Gibson es335.... Upgraded it..... Its really good.... discuss.....
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• GuitarseGuitarse Frets: 165
    What have you upgraded it with?
    Never ever bloody anything, ever!
  • Iron gear rolling Mills..... Epiphone circuit/pots.....
    Its really good intonated perfectly.... Sounds and most importantly feels great!
  • I've watched a few Chinese copy videos on youtube over the past couple of weeks and the consensus seems to be that materials and construction are okay to good but the electrics and some of the hardware is poor.  People seem to have had little trouble sending back complete dogs.

Moral issues aside it's starting to seem like a viable way of getting a decent guitar at a budget price provided you know enough to do the necessary upgrades.  Unfortunately there still seems to be quite a bit of risk involved with the actual transaction, IMO, so I doubt I'd order one unless I was feeling flush.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12663
    I've seen a piccie and it looks nice.

Trouble is, fake Gibbos seem to have a stigma about them - far more than Partcaster Fenders. Its almost impossible to sell them on eBay and everyone I know seems very negative about them. 

Therefore resale tends to be a bit hit and miss - its probably a better guitar than *some* Epiphone Dots, but because its pretending to be something its not, it's probably worth the same or less.

Just my opinion
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• AdolfhipsterAdolfhipster Frets: 172
    edited February 2014
    It was a gamble Guitar for me me there are 2 in my local guitar shop and they are soooooo popular everyone wants them.... Of course they aren't as good as a Gibson but I tell you what you are welcome to come around my house and try it! It's Shockingly good!

I agree about gear and electrics, they have to be upgraded instantly.... And it's a gamble as there is no consistent build quality.
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    To be fair they are probably made along side Epiphones or some other well known names anyway. I love a cheap guitar, even more so because you have to change lots of bits
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Must be a pretty dodgy shop if they're openly selling counterfeit goods.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • I have always thought the Les Pauls look off but would be interested to see what the 335s look like.  The DG335s and Trini Lopez models look way better than the LPs.
  • Its not. It's a trade/2nd hand shop and it's fantastic
  • JDEJDE Frets: 1092
    I don't really have a "moral" standpoint on it (I've played Peerless, Tokai and partscaster guitars for years). I don't personally care for copies with branded logos on them, but that's a different matter. Knowing what I know from my trade (import/export/wholesale ironmonger) they are all probably made in the same, or very similar, factories. I think if they work for you with upgrades - or stock, some of the finest guitars I've played have been bone stock Tokais - then great.

Personally, I don't like Gibson as a company, but that doesn't mean I'd intentionally forgo one of their models. I think their QC Dept smokes too much weed, though. If I was a dealer and getting in guitars that I was supposed to sell for >2K and they had wonky nuts (every recent 335 I've played) then I'd probably start stocking Tokai and Peerless tbh.
  • Then the shop sells them, then they get sold to someone unsuspecting as real.

They are fake counterfeit goods. I wounldnt wear fake Puma trainers and I wont play a counterfeit guitar built to deceive.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • No he isn't dishonest....
  • Just to reiterate.....
    I dont condone selling fakes as real..... But I see no difference between a Gibson rip off tokai et al and a fake Gibson.
    If I sell/swap this 335, and I probably will I'll be totally honest.... As always.
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Its always the guys that have shelled out 2k for an OK quality les Paul that have such huge issues with fakes.....
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    Adolfhipster;168491" said:
    Just to reiterate.....
    I dont condone selling fakes as real..... But I see no difference between a Gibson rip off tokai et al and a fake Gibson.
    If I sell/swap this 335, and I probably will I'll be totally honest.... As always.
    The difference is a Tokai is honest about what it is.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • What does that actually mean..... Honest.... You are telling me that real gibsons are made honestly?
    Biggest fucking scam in years, gibsons!
    They cost pennies to make in a crap factory and are called boutique! THATs dishonest!
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JDEJDE Frets: 1092
    A factory in Nashville couldn't make machine screws for pennies, that's not how labour and manufacturing work. They are undoubtedly overpriced but any product that sells for the sum total of the cost of its parts ain't gonna make any money for the company who make it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7130
    The issue is the 'Gibson' logo they put on the headstock as down the line some poor unsuspecting kid will shell out a lot of money for it.

I think the whole Chibson thing is fine if you plan to 'keep it forever' or remove the logo with a chisel.

Counterfeit goods are what they are. Fake.

Not a problem as long as everyone knows its a copy pretending to be something it is not.

Otherwise if you move it on it, you are selling counterfeit goods knowingly and that is not a great idea.

I'd rather buy a Tokai, Orville, Edwards or Burny as then I know exactly what I'm buying.

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    Adolfhipster;168505" said:
    What does that actually mean..... Honest.... You are telling me that real gibsons are made honestly?
    They cost pennies to make in a crap factory and are called boutique! THATs dishonest!
    Have you actually read your own post? Pennies to make! Whatever your thoughts on Gibson as a company they're at least putting their own logo on their goods and not someone else's.
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31470
    Adolfhipster;168505" said:
    What does that actually mean..... Honest.... You are telling me that real gibsons are made honestly?
    So why are you pretending you bought one? :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom