Focus 90% Of Your Practise Time On SKILLS and only 10% On Songs... Here's Why

What's Hot
tomhalliwell93tomhalliwell93 Frets: 16
edited August 2017 in Technique

Here's a podcast on why is a skill set and you should put 90% of your time on skills not songs -

5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7763
    I want to find out about these one finger chords, please explain.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • tomhalliwell93tomhalliwell93 Frets: 16
    edited August 2017
    I want to find out about these one finger chords, please explain.
    Hey Winny.. Usually i start my students off with C maj, G7 and G maj.. All of these are 1 finger chords.. Its hard to put in writing but on this video i show you at about the 6 min mark..
  • DanjiDanji Frets: 225
    I've had a listen to the podcast, I understand what you mean. For me, music is a language with the end result being able to play and express yourself within certain parameters.  Working on 'skills' rather than songs is not going to get you far. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Danji said:
    I've had a listen to the podcast, I understand what you mean. For me, music is a language with the end result being able to play and express yourself within certain parameters.  Working on 'skills' rather than songs is not going to get you far. 
    I agree with you.. However for the complete beginner who has no skill level.. playing songs is frustrating.. Of course Guitar is an ART but you defiantly need to have the skills before you can 'express yourself' ... just like poetry, if i don't have the skill to  speak 'English' then i can't express myself and write a poem using that language... Guitar is the same thing :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Learning about form is incredibly important. I can't tell you the amount of people I've jammed with are unable to understand where the sections are, play additional bars, drop beats etc. 

To further your analogy, the only way to speak English is to get engrossed in it. Repeating arbitrary words without an understanding of syntax and grammar would get you nowhere fast. 
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1372
    If you want to gig, nobody wants to hear skills. They do want to hear songs. The people paying you or looking to scout bands want to hear songs.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4169
    No rules. No 90/10 this or that. Do what you like, play what you like. Have a good time, all the time.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
    Philtre said:
     Have a good time, all the time.
    You can't beat a bit of Nigel logic! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Danji said:
    Philtre said:
    You can't beat a bit of Nigel logic! 
    In fact, I play 100% songs and 10% skills. I mean, that's 10% louder, right?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 27986
    90% skills and 10% songs is how stunt guitar happens.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33782

Here's a podcast on why is a skill set and you should put 90% of your time on skills not songs -

Other than that I disagree with your basic premise, we don't look that kindly on forum non-participants joining up purely to spam the forum with their wares.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • LooseMooseLooseMoose Frets: 908
    Or you could my approach:  96% buying guitar tat that I don't need in the hope it'll make me a better player.  3% getting cross that I'm not a better player. 1% playing Sweet Home Alabama for the billionth time.

It's effective.
    10reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5141
    Or you could my approach:  96% buying guitar tat that I don't need in the hope it'll make me a better player.  3% getting cross that I'm not a better player. 1% playing Sweet Home Alabama for the billionth time.

It's effective.
    Yep... mines much the same but the song's 'Wind Cries Mary'  :)
  • PlectrumPlectrum Frets: 494
    Practice? No that would take all the fun out of it when I mess up royally in front of an audience :) Playing guitar might be art to a few people but most importanly it has to be fun. Happy spamming :)
    One day I'm going to make a guitar out of butter to experience just how well it actually plays.
  • bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    Philtre said:
    Viv Savage!!

Anyway, I disagree with the premise of your video.  That is going to get boring really fast and will do nothing to improve the player's vocabulary.  A player could learn songs that call for certain techniques, like alternate picking, and they could build up their skills works on a particular song.  For example, learning a Fear Factory song is going to give a good alternate picking work out and will beat the hell out of spending hours on scales and patterns against an unmusical click.

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33782
    edited August 2017
    Philtre said:
    Viv Savage!!

Anyway, I disagree with the premise of your video.  That is going to get boring really fast and will do nothing to improve the player's vocabulary.  A player could learn songs that call for certain techniques, like alternate picking, and they could build up their skills works on a particular song.  For example, learning a Fear Factory song is going to give a good alternate picking work out and will beat the hell out of spending hours on scales and patterns against an unmusical click.
    Exactly.
    And I'm someone who spent years in a room running all the permutations of finger exercises, arpeggios, scales and such.
    That is all good stuff to do but learning songs is more important.

The OP comes across as a recent graduate of a music school- that is all well and good and there is a place for the sort of playing you get taught at music college.
    I'd be interested if he thinks the same thing 10 years from now.

Having a fixed idea of what players should spend their time on is a mistake because you don't know the goal of that player.

I probably spend 50% on learning songs and 50% on technique and I consider myself to be a very technique heavy kinda player.

The OP also fails to acknowledge that the most useful skill for a musician is transcription.
    If you want to be a shredder then running scales and arpeggios is only part of the work.
    The next, more important bit is to find ways to apply that learning and the most efficient way to do this is by transcribing solos.
    You learn how to apply thing things you've learned by studying the greats who have come before you.
    There is no better way.
  • antifashantifash Frets: 603

WHY IS A SKILL SET?
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6118
    tFB Trader

It's effective.
    I'd give you a wisdom and a lol for this if I could 
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
  • cruxiformcruxiform Frets: 2545
    What happened to learning 3 chords, writing a few songs and forming a band?
    edited August 2017
    Here's my podcast on how to put 110% into music. OP is full of shirt.