A question about 3/4 scale guitars

Greetings folks,
After a trip into GuitarGuitarGlasgow today with our two boys (5&7), Id really quite like to make them a shorter scale guitar each. They held a mini Strat (lovely apart from dreadful finishing on tbe frets) and an Ibanez mikro in mega pink (so utterly awesome I might have to get one myself). Both were very taken by the idea. And if i could get them involved in the making that would be icing on the cake.

So, my questions are - should i be using the same bridge and pickups as on a full size guitar? Will the neck still need a trussrod? And for the frets, could i use one of the scale templates i already have (say a 25" PRS) and start my nut/1st fret a few notches further down?

Many thanks,
Adam
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3044
    Yes, yes and erm, yes!
    I was given a 3/4 size guitar ages ago and all the harware was full size.
    I still have the neck off it somewhere, if you need any dimensions (Strat style)
    Might be worth going with one pickup = less routing!
    If I did it I would put a truss rod in or perhaps a carbon fibre rod to stiffen it...
    Ive done shorter scale cigar box guitars by cutting a fret or two off the nut end of the fingerboard.
    I have a feeling the neck heel and pocket are full size....

Might be an idea to draw it out on the back of some wallpaper to visualise it and get an idea of the neck taper....

Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• WezVWezV Frets: 16543
    Yeah, removing it the first two frets is a good way to go.  You can capo a guitar to get an idea of how that feels.

you should find an acoustic truss rod that fits... but CF bars will work well.  You need some support
  • KalimnaKalimna Frets: 1534
    Cheers for the advice chaps. I know it was a slightly daft question, just wasnt sure if the hardware needed to be reduced in size too.
    I will certainly draw up plans first (i find lining paper for decorating good for this)

and whilst a single pickup makes a degree of sense, one boy had his eye on a mini black strat, the other wanted a metallic red offset Fender. So more than one it is.
    And the thing is, i want them to be usable and not just 'a toy'. In case my boys decide they prefer druns or something :)
    I may try the CF, but havent used it yet.
    Regarding the taper, i have a 'jig' i use to trim the neck with a bearing guided bit on the router, so will just use that. The  angle of taper will be greater, given the shorter neck, but i dont see it as a problem.

I have some qs ash i may use for the body, some hornbeam maybe for the neck and laburnum for the fingerboard. But that might change :)

Cheers again,
    Adam
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3044
    Please share the build, I'd be interested to see it evolve...
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• KalimnaKalimna Frets: 1534
    Cheers - i shall do. I find the hardest part is picking up that first bit of wood and making a cut. Anyway, ive also 3 acoustics started (3 years ago and havent been touched sibce) and plans for a 6+12 double neck and several other electrics (including a semi hollow in rosewood). I need more days in the week!

Adam