NGD (x3) & NAD (x1)

What's Hot
HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8030

Well, look what arrived last night...

A rather battered, but utterly butterly MIJ Tele/Partscaster

A (very) project Gibson Sonex 180 Deluxe

One of my favourite old Hohners - a JT-60

Aand finally, another Phoenix PHA-1 (#3 of 3 of these now)

Errr...that's it for now... ;)

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

0reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• slackerslacker Frets: 2236
    The sonex  will look great back in black (sic) not sure about the sound. A bandmate had one year's ago. You might want to try changing pickups.

I'm sure you'll have one or two thousand humbuckers somewhere.

Cool project..
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8030
    I've actually got a nice Sonex somewhere - must dig it out. :)

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72298
    I've actually got a nice Sonex somewhere
     I have a unicorn in my back garden too.

:)

I hope you didn't pay more than about £35 for that lot… if the Phoenix is working ;).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    ICBM said:
    I've actually got a nice Sonex somewhere
     I hope you didn't pay more than about £35 for that lot… if the Phoenix is working ;).
    Cheek! :)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7765
    Fallen off the wagon again eh :)
    I like the Hohner, the Tele looks like a solid gigging guitar. 
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12664
    edited August 2017
    An old band mate had a near identical Tele back in the mid 90s.

Started off life as a mij Fender Tele (I think they were called "Pop" Teles for some reason), with a six saddle top loading bridge. A local luthier chopped the bridge down and routed it for the bridge humbucker. His one retained the original white pickguard and standard Tele neck pickup. I don't think he ever used the neck pickup!!!

Fantastic necks iirc and his one sounded huge.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14422
    Winny_Pooh said:
    Fallen off the wagon again, eh :)
    I notice that the neck pocket of the Sonex has storage capacity for up to twenty cigarette papers. ;)

ICBM said:
    I hope you didn't pay
    Don't be daft.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • jdbwalesjdbwales Frets: 309
    JT60s are amazing guitars, great necks and versatile tone circuits - good find!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SeshSesh Frets: 1841
    Your JT60 is in much better condition than mine.
    Can't sing, can't dance, can handle a guitar a little.
    Dammit, Mr. FF, that's looking mighty fine!

The odd thing is that the quality of the guitars is probably the opposite of what you'd expect from the names on them.

The Hohner actually isn't bad - but it always annoyed me that they put generic Strat electrics in them (even with that tone circuit). At the time it seemed that *everything* had to sound like a Strat...

The Teles are tolerable, but desperately need a better bridge - or at least those horrible tone-killing flip-over saddles need to go.

Sonex... hmmm. Probably the worst guitar Gibson have ever made, and there is some stiff competition there!

Do the coloured graphics on the Phoenix light up? I thought they did, but I might be wrong.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

The pic was partly to illustrate that there is space in the pickup cavity for three P90s without recourse to woodworking tools. 

I cannot decide whether to go with three budget single coils or two American stacked-coil pickups and a dummy in the middle for show. The third alternative involves converting Gibson P100s into, er, "P50s" - if you catch my drift. ;)
    ICBM said:

Do the coloured graphics on the Phoenix light up? I thought they did, but I might be wrong.

They do indeed! :)

Shiny, shiny! :)
  • JDEJDE Frets: 1092
    I really like the look of that Hohner. Very Urusei Yatsura, if anyone remembers them.
    The pic was partly to illustrate that there is space in the pickup cavity for three P90s without recourse to woodworking tools. 

I cannot decide whether to go with three budget single coils or two American stacked-coil pickups and a dummy in the middle for show. The third alternative involves converting Gibson P100s into, er, "P50s" - if you catch my drift. ;)
    I have to say it looks brilliant with the P90s. I would definitely go for three proper pickups, based on the PRS Custom 22 I used to have - which I rewired with a standard 5-way lever switch (stock is a superswitch giving neck+bridge in the middle position) and a pull-switch to turn on the bridge pickup, so I could get all 7 sounds - all three pickups on together was the best. A 3-way toggle and a blend for the middle pickup would get you 6...

• SeshSesh Frets: 1841
    Sesh said:
    Your JT60 is in much better condition than mine.
    http://i.imgur.com/xVJFTeg.jpg

Well the photo makes it look better. I got it with a mind to fix it up, but so far I've only replaced a crackly pot and the bridge. There's dozens of knocks, a cheaply and poorly done scratch plate and the metal parts are corroded. None in a tasteful relic way.
    Can't sing, can't dance, can handle a guitar a little.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • adamm82adamm82 Frets: 448
    I like the designs of the sonex never played one and read mixed reviews. I have been tempted to by one as I'd like an older Gibson guitar in my collection that's affordable. 
    ICBM said:

I have to say it looks brilliant with the P90s.
    I agree - love it! :)