Humbucker sized pickups for Mustang?

What's Hot
I've got one of those Cheapo Squier Bullet Mustangs. 

Really like the guitar so thinking about doing it up a bit: any recommendations for humbucker sized pickups? I want something for the whole punky / alt-rocky / grungy stuff like Nirvana, Dinosaur Jr etc. 

Was thinking perhaps something p90-esque but really not sure...

Bear in mind this guitar costs £115 brand new so custom winds from the usual suspects are probably not going to happen! 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14410
    Measure the pickup cavity. It is a generous rectangular "swimming pool". The critical dimension is the depth. Humbuckers with full length elevator screw lugs might not fit in.

The usual suspects are the DiMarzio Super Distortion and Seymour Duncan SH-4 JB.

Your P90-in-HB-size idea might work. The HS format associated with Kurt Cobain is more versatile.

You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • AlegreeAlegree Frets: 665
    tFB Trader
    JB won't get close to Nirvana. You definitely need something 13k-14k with a ceramic mag for that.
    I've got lots of humbucker winds left in my deal if you can find a colour combination to fit. http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/106698/many-made-to-order-pickups-available-at-discount-see-explanation

My Firestorms are the punky / classic metal go tos in my catalogue.
    Alegree pickups & guitar supplies - www.alegree.co.uk
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3493
    I've got one of those Cheapo Squier Bullet Mustangs. 

Really like the guitar so thinking about doing it up a bit: any recommendations for humbucker sized pickups? I want something for the whole punky / alt-rocky / grungy stuff like Nirvana, Dinosaur Jr etc. 

Was thinking perhaps something p90-esque but really not sure...

Bear in mind this guitar costs £115 brand new so custom winds from the usual suspects are probably not going to happen! 
    I'd go for one decent pickup instead of two if you don't want to spend that much. 

I have a HB sized P90 from @Alegree and it is great.  Works well for fuzz tones and clean.
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3053
    edited August 2017
    Alegree said:
    JB won't get close to Nirvana. You definitely need something 13k-14k with a ceramic mag for that.
    I've got lots of humbucker winds left in my deal if you can find a colour combination to fit. http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/106698/many-made-to-order-pickups-available-at-discount-see-explanation

My Firestorms are the punky / classic metal go tos in my catalogue.
    Interesting point of view
    This post suggests that Cobain used JB in his Mustangs......

http://www.seymourduncan.com/forum/showthread.php?205879-Mustang-with-Cobain-customizations

I have a JB in my Squier Bullet Mustang and it grunges up very nicely just driving the amp...
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• PhilKingPhilKing Frets: 1479
    Was it an original JB or a current one.  I have a really old JB in double cream and it measures 14.1k, which is very different to the current ones.  It also sounds totally different.  The Bare Knuckle Rebel Yell is a lot like it in sounds, but probably outside your budget for this change.  You want an slightly asymmetrical wind, with A5 magnets, wound to about 14k, not the 16.6 of the current JB.
    edited August 2017
    PhilKing said:
    Was it an original JB or a current one.  I have a really old JB in double cream and it measures 14.1k, which is very different to the current ones.  It also sounds totally different.  The Bare Knuckle Rebel Yell is a lot like it in sounds, but probably outside your budget for this change.  You want an slightly asymmetrical wind, with A5 magnets, wound to about 14k, not the 16.6 of the current JB.
    Interesting...
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

edited August 2017
    Based on the previous replies I might try one of these in mine

http://www.irongear.co.uk/irongear_pickups_008.

or one of these

http://www.irongear.co.uk/irongear_pickups_029.htm

Cheap enough for a punt, if a little on the hot side....

tFB Trader
    Or you could buy mine for a fiver more for a lifetime warranty, free swap period, greater resale value and a better sound.
    Alegree said:
    Or you could buy mine for a fiver more for a lifetime warranty, free swap period, greater resale value and a better sound.
    So which pickup from your range would you suggest - black uncovered.......

tFB Trader
    paulnb57 said:
    Alegree said:
    So which pickup from your range would you suggest - black uncovered.......

My suggestion is above. Black uncovered isn't included in my deal though.
    Covered won't fit, or suit the vibe....Iron Gear it is then!

tFB Trader
    paulnb57 said:
    Covered won't fit, or suit the vibe....Iron Gear it is then!
    I've got loads of uncovered combinations left.
    So what do you recommend? Something rude for a short scale mustange bridge?

tFB Trader
    paulnb57 said:
    So what do you recommend? Something rude for a short scale mustange bridge?
    https://www.alegree.co.uk/collections/humbucker-sized-pickups/products/firestorm
    https://www.alegree.co.uk/collections/humbucker-sized-pickups/products/heat-wave

The first is my take on the super distortion, the second is my take on the JB. Either would work for an aggressive rock sound. I've got zebra or white colour combinations left in my deal. Side note: Heat Wave is standard slug/screw format despite the photo that I need to replace.
    Is your JB like the "old JB or the "new JB"?

tFB Trader
    paulnb57 said:
    It's based on the new one, but I wouldn't say it's 'like' it. I've improved the original design a lot.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14410
    paulnb57 said:
    Alegree said:
    I've improved the original design a lot.
    Even amongst the fanbois on the Seymour Duncan User Group forum, the SH-4 JB was often a bone of contention. 

People seeking to sell older specimens would have you believe that older is better. Some seem in awe of examples of this model that have been wound on a machine under the guiding hand of long-term employee, Maricela Juarez.

Over the years, I have owned a couple of SH-4 humbuckers with the JBJ model identification label on the baseplate. How different these sound to examples with the current Duncan production sticker, I could not really say.

Does the output cable type change the sound? Does the length of the elevator screw lugs make any difference? Does direct mounting into the guitar body à la Edward Van Halen make any difference? 

Some pickup experimenters demonstrated that changing the polepieces and/or the magnet formulation made a difference. The JB with an Alnico 2 bar magnet sounds not a million miles away from the old SHAH-1 Allan Holdsworth model.

Does any of this matter? Probably not. Does it matter what Kurt, Eric or Yngwie use? Probably not. Create your own sound.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    tFB Trader
    paulnb57 said:
    Alegree said:
    I've improved the original design a lot.
    Even amongst the fanbois on the Seymour Duncan User Group forum, the SH-4 JB was often a bone of contention. 

People seeking to sell older specimens would have you believe that older is better. Some seem in awe of examples of this model that have been wound on a machine under the guiding hand of long-term employee, Maricela Juarez.

Over the years, I have owned a couple of SH-4 humbuckers with the JBJ model identification label on the baseplate. How different these sound to examples with the current Duncan production sticker, I could not really say.

Does the output cable type change the sound? Does the length of the elevator screw lugs make any difference? Does direct mounting into the guitar body à la Edward Van Halen make any difference? 

Some pickup experimenters demonstrated that changing the polepieces and/or the magnet formulation made a difference. The JB with an Alnico 2 bar magnet sounds not a million miles away from the old SHAH-1 Allan Holdsworth model.

Does any of this matter? Probably not. Does it matter what Kurt, Eric or Yngwie use? Probably not. Create your own sound.
    Agreed. It seems to be a real marmite pickup. I know which side of the fence I sit on with it. As much as I tried I just couldn't get past that horrible high mid whine, which made it impossible to dial in any decent tones at all.

So I wound a similar pickup differently to keep the general characteristics of it, but get rid of that horrible high mid hump. I suppose that's probably one of the key characteristics itself, but I certainly find mine more usable. 

I think the JB is primarily used at both ends of the distortion spectrum - from pop punk (Green day) to metal (Megadeth). It doesn't really sit well in the middle ground in my opinion. That middle ground is my main interest, so that's perhaps why I detest it so much.
  • Thanks for the advice guys. 

I'm having some work done on another guitar is just now so need to see what the damage is on that before deciding what to do with this one. I think that I might just replace the bridge pickup and then wire it just for volume and tone, it will cut down on the expense and hassle a bit. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom