Cornish Buffer

What's Hot
So I can knock up a Cornish Buffer for about £20 (shhh don't tell Gassage!) but I already have some other buffers in my chain (EHX POG, VOX Delaylab, BlueSky, H9, RV5). Is adding a (presumably) quality buffer going to make any difference?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Jonathanthomas83Jonathanthomas83 Frets: 3469
    edited August 2017
    For £20 it's worth a punt!

At the very least you can tell us all that we're talking shit and it's all in our heads.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9526
    Yep.... I've extensively tested the Cornish buffer... and I can tell you, it really does make a difference.

Always adds a little something to the sound.

Cornish stuff IS expensive, there is no doubt, but it stands up imho and is totally silent.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8491
    I made the fuzzdog (or Pedal Poodly as it was at the time) DIY version and I did think it was a pretty fantastic buffer - some get too bright, this one didn't and also did something nice to the mids, at least to my ears in my rig.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72304
    I haven't seen the schematic, but isn't the key feature of this that it duplicates the characteristics of a typical amp valve input stage perfectly, so it maintains exactly the 'right' sound of a guitar plugged straight in?

By the way, I keep reading the thread title as 'Cornish butter' :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • clarkefanclarkefan Frets: 808
    There's a layout for that on the net, can't remember the site, they do loads of reverse engineering of stuff.  Didn't look too difficult to put together.  Course you only have someone's word it is actually that buffer...
  • ruomaruoma Frets: 67
    Yes the buffer really is that good!
  • OctafishOctafish Frets: 1937
    clarkefan said:
    There's a layout for that on the net, can't remember the site, they do loads of reverse engineering of stuff.  Didn't look too difficult to put together.  Course you only have someone's word it is actually that buffer...
    There's a layout here... http://tagboardeffects.blogspot.co.uk/2012/02/cornish-buffer.html for building it on vero, a couple of quid max to build. Got me intrigued, might have to build one now. 

• clarkefanclarkefan Frets: 808
    Yeah that's the one.  The comments could be useful as well.  Shame the site had a couple of photos which might have been important but they're gone. Least the layout's still up.
  • Ordered the kit from FuzzDog, will build it this week and report back.

Any tips on placement?
  • I liked it after my compressor but before everything else.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9526
    I liked it after my compressor but before everything else.
    Ordered the kit from FuzzDog, will build it this week and report back.

Any tips on placement?
    I'm going to build the tagboard one on vero. Just waiting for a transistor and a few resistors I haven't got to turn up. Be interesting to see what components/values the fuzzdog has in comparison
  • mburekengemburekenge Frets: 1058
    Isn't the Cornish buffer the river Tamar?
    8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11446
    I built myself one.  It does seem to add something to the sound.
    edited October 2017

Reviving this old thread as I finally got around to knocking up a Cornish buffer on vero. I also made a germanium buffer as well and stuck the two in a box with a toggle switch to flip between the two. I've tested the two against the buffer in my EHX Pitchfork, using an effects loop pedal to remove them totally form the signal chain, there were no other buffers in the chain.

https://i.imgur.com/ruCL0Ts.jpg

Straight away it's obvious that the Cornish, Ge and EHX all make a difference as you would expect. However, I'd be pushed to say I could hear any difference at all between the three different buffers with a clean sound. There was a just about perceivable bit of extra top end on the Cornish compared to the Ge if I ran them into a Fuzz face style fuzz, which i would not normally do anyway, but was useful way of exaggerating the effect of the buffers. Maybe if I ran longer cables I might notice more, although I was running through 15 or true bypass pedals and patches

Anyway it was an intersting exercise for £10 of bits and I now have a buffer I can use independent of the Pitchfork.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13939
    It's lovely on toast

• ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3586
    It's lovely on toast
    Yeth.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • aord43aord43 Frets: 287
    Does anyone know how it compares to the Klon buffer?
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1631
    edited October 2017

The circuit is a bipolar emitter follower with a boot -strapped bias supply to keep the input Z high.

I built several such circuits for front ends to ceramic PU cartridges (discos) but gave up such a complex design when the ubiquitous 28319 jfet became available!

Neither devices actually satisfy one of the definitions of a 'buffer' in that it should be 'transparent' . A TL072 or better IC will.

Dave.

ecc83 said:

The circuit is a bipolar emitter follower with a boot -strapped bias supply to keep the input Z high.

I built several such circuits for front ends to ceramic PU cartridges (discos) but gave up such a complex design when the ubiquitous 28319 jfet became available!

Neither devices actually satisfy one of the definitions of a 'buffer' in that it should be 'transparent' . A TL072 or better IC will.

Dave.

Are you refering to the Cornish or Klon buffer?