Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Pedalboard planning

What's Hot
stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26923
After my recent decision to go back to a regular board I've been on my usual MS Powerpoint strategy to work out layouts and what size board I'll need, but I'm wondering how other people plan boards. 

I've used pedalboardplanner.com before, but that's not been updated in a while so there are a lot of pedals not on there. I've just come across www.pedalplayground.com which looks very good and has a lot more pedals. 

What does everyone else do? Meticulously plan with paper cutouts? Throw everything onto the board and hope for the best? 3D CAD models? 
The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JDEJDE Frets: 1092
    I used to use pedalboard planner, but since I ditched having a pc at home, I've not bothered because trying to use it on a phone or a tablet was like being kicked in the balls over and over again. Never heard of Pedal Playground but just had a quick look - works on a phone, therefore I love it!
    I think these sites tend to make me get obsessive and buy more stuff, though, so the best option for me is just laying it all out and measuring it.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    I useually do a rough scale drawing in excel then build a board to suit (natch!). But this way you could get your absolute minimum dimensions then there will be a Pedaltrain (or similar) to suit. 

Other way is lay out the pedals (or cut outs if you don't yet have the pedals) and then masking tape around the parameter to get board dims.

Ive never used an internet board planner, don't know why, just never trusted them.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I put my pedals on the board then try to figure out how to wire them up and then get cross and grumpy. 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30289
    I normally form a committee which reports back to central planning before seeking approval in Parliament.
    If I'm in a rush, I just stick them all on a board and hope for the best.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • cbellangacbellanga Frets: 572
    I use omnigraffle and have a library of pedal sizes and boards to play with:

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2749
    I still use pedalboardplanner,   it had an update recently to include a few more modern pedals but if the one I want isn't there then there is usually a box the same size I can use to check it will fit. 
    Seeing how well organised some of you are has been an education.
    Of course, I had to do all this before computers and the internet when all this were fields and you could go for a night out, a fish supper and a hansom cab home and still have change from a sovereign.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7802
    pedalplayground for me. Dead easy.
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26561
    I put my pedals on the board then try to figure out how to wire them up and then get cross and grumpy. 
    This, but with a small preparatory step of getting the tape measure out.

Eventually, I get tired of the merry-go-round and buy a modeller, then we all go round again.
    <space for hire>
  • GavRichListGavRichList Frets: 7155
    I use pedalboard planner, but I'm also a massive nerd about it and do separate power and midi maps. What a Melvin. It has allowed me to use every last mm of space effectively on my board though, and it makes the assembly job far easier as it removes any kind of thought. 
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7281

What does everyone else do? 
    Run my wah off board because my board is about 2cm too narrow to have it on with the jack plugs in (even pancake ones).

I feel it may not be the optimal solution.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • the_jaffathe_jaffa Frets: 1795
    Mine's kinda built the other way round. I built myself a board that fits in a case I was given. Then I fit my pedals on to the board. I don't have a massive board though so it's not too bad. I have used some CAD (cardboard-aided-design)though to help
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ewalewal Frets: 2582
    I take an agile iterative approach to pedalboard construction - slap all the pedals on - try it - adjust - try it - etc
    The Scrambler-EE Walk soundcloud experience
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26923
    ewal said:
    I take an agile iterative approach to pedalboard construction - slap all the pedals on - try it - adjust - try it - etc
    If that's working for you I can only assume you don't have enough pedals..!
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8491
    ewal said:
    Me too. For all the planning in the world, at some point you're going to have an empty board and a pile of pedals next to it. If the pedals you want on the board don't fit, you'll need a bigger board. If there's space left over after you've got what you need on there... victory! You have the moral right to go and buy a new pedal!
    Can those pedalboard planners tell you how it will all sound as well?
  • PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4171
    Is it just me or does http://pedalboardplanner.com just not work? Adding a pedal does diddly squat.

• Maybe try out:-

http://www.pedalplayground.com/

Personally I think its actually better to use 
  • SlimbertSlimbert Frets: 335
    MrMusic said:
    Maybe try out:-

http://www.pedalplayground.com/

Personally I think its actually better to use 
    That site was mentioned in the first post but it's definitely a good shout.

I've had a bit of fun with it today. Dead easy to use and worked fine on my phone.

I'd never even thought of mapping out a pedal board but this really has made my next build easier. Certainly beats ripping pedals off the board time and time again trying to get it right!
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4525
    Mine is the same system as @the_jaffa . Made a board to fit the case I had. It was no good me using a planner as I could only work out which order they went in by trial and error of the sounds they make together. Oh and thinking about it every waking second : )