Darkglass, Sansamp, MXR Bass pedal shootout YouTube

What's Hot
guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7953
Just seen this on YT, thought it might be helpful to some.  It's not a blind test.

From the description

- Darkglass Microtubes B7K;
- Darkglass Vintage Deluxe;
- Darkglass Alpha•Omega;
- Tech 21 SansAmp Bass Driver V1;
- MXR Bass DI+.

Other gear used:
- Fender Southern Cross Jazz Bass;
- Warwick LWA 1000 head;
- Two Notes Audio Engineering Torpedo live with an Ampeg 8x10" + Shure Beta 52 impulse;
- Radial J48 direct box;
- Radial X-Amp reamp box;
- Apogee Duet firewire audio interface.

My favourites were the B7K and Vintage Deluexe.  Felt like it might have needed bit more level into the Alpha/Omega to get the most out of it on one of the modes.  Haven't tried one of those yet.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I'd agree that the B7K and Vintage sound best, but also can't help feeling all their stuff is very suited to a particular style and sound. Maybe it's because they're everywhere at the moment, and it can't be denied they obviously put a lot of care into what they make!
  • Yeah a lot of people are using them for the same sounds right now, I know what you mean, but honestly they're very versatile.  They cost a lot, but nothing else quite sounds or works like them currently.

I've owned the following bass drive/preamp pedals (sold many of these now):

Aguilar Tone Hammer DI
    Boss BB1X
    Boss ODB3
    Darkglass B3K
    Darkglass B7K
    Darkglass B7K Ultra
    Darkglass Vintage Ultra
    EHX Bass Big Muff Deluxe
    Hartke VXL Bass attack V1
    MXR M80 DI
    Sansamp RBI (rack version of original bass driver)
    Sansamp VT DI

Genuinely, the most versatile are the Darkglass ones with EQ.  The Vintage with dip switches and EQ is probably the most versatile, but the BxK models can cover a lot of ground too just with how much you blend and how much high end you feed the drive circuit.  Owning the Ultras I'd actually say that it's not as important to have the mid frequency selection switches as I expected - the default EQ positions on the non ultras is well chosen for each pedal as it is, the biggest thing you gain is being able to use the EQ without the distortion if you want.  I mostly play passive basses so this works for me.

I've ordered an Alpha Omega, should get to try it out at the weekend.  I actually don't think it sounded great in this test, but I've heard it sound fantastic in several other demos and a member was kind enough to give me a discount code they weren't going to use for a shop that already had the best price on it, so that helped too.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I'd love to try one out, but not sure I'd put the money down on one just yet - mostly because Ive got enough dirt pedals going on as it is right now!

The Alpha Omega does look/sound really interesting, hope it goes well for you!
  • What pedals are you using now?

Yeah I’ll stick up a thread about the AO when I have a go on it.