Recommend a pickup winding machine

What's Hot
timhuliotimhulio Frets: 1286
Anyone on here bought a decent pickup winding machine? Budget £100-200. All I really need is a counter and a speed control.

Or if you've rigged-up an interesting DIY solution (power drill, rotation counter... it could work?!) post pics.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14410
    timhulio said:
    All I really need is a counter and a speed control.
    You might want some sort of guide for the copper wire.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • timhuliotimhulio Frets: 1286
    tFB Trader
    Indeed.
  • AlegreeAlegree Frets: 665
    tFB Trader
    I buy mine from a guy in the US on ebay. 
    Alegree pickups & guitar supplies - www.alegree.co.uk
    tFB Trader
    Got a link/model? Don't worry, I'm far too busy building pedals to sell pickups, so I'm not competition.
    tFB Trader
    This guy - http://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/roswelld1947eng?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2754

I don't see anyone as competition - I try to differentiate myself to be niche :)
    tFB Trader
    But come to mention it, I do sell pickup building kits ;)
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1372
    timhulio said:
    Got a link/model? Don't worry, I'm far too busy building pedals to sell pickups, so I'm not competition.
    fwiw, I'd be really interested in some fredric pickups. I really love the voicing of your pedals, I imagine your pickups would sound ace too!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10248
    edited August 2017 tFB Trader
    timhulio said:
    Anyone on here bought a decent pickup winding machine? Budget £100-200. All I really need is a counter and a speed control.

Or if you've rigged-up an interesting DIY solution (power drill, rotation counter... it could work?!) post pics.
    Where abouts are you based? I have the old machine I built when we first started ... plus a couple of magnetic counters ... you are welcome to take it away and play if you want. It eats drive belts a bit ... but it did our first couple of years. These days we use a pair of computer programmable or hand wind machines that cost around £800 quid a piece ... so 'Bertha' is a bit sad under a bench!
    PM me if you're interested. 
    PS she's a bit lumpy to post ....
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

tFB Trader
    Wow! Thanks for the offer. I'm based in North London. Where are you? I may well take you up on this once things get underway (I'm hoping to have time to get into other things - like winding some pickups for use in my projects - once my kids start school in Sept).
    tFB Trader
    bbill335 said:
    timhulio said:
    fwiw, I'd be really interested in some fredric pickups. I really love the voicing of your pedals, I imagine your pickups would sound ace too!
    Thanks for the vote of confidence :-) I test all the pedals with either a Jazzmaster with stock AVRI pickups, or a Musima with goldfoil-ish single coils. So I reckon that market for those sorts of things is pretty sewn-up at the moment.
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10248
    tFB Trader
    timhulio said:
    Wow! Thanks for the offer. I'm based in North London. Where are you? I may well take you up on this once things get underway (I'm hoping to have time to get into other things - like winding some pickups for use in my projects - once my kids start school in Sept).
    Leyton East London ... 
    you may have to replace a couple of bolts I looted from the old girl ... but there is a spare, unused drive motor and a rather heath robinson foot controller that probably would fail health and safety ... but It's all there if you want it.
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message