Absolutely fucking livid........

What's Hot
hywelghywelg Frets: 4302
10 yards from home and a car broadsides me coming out of a side road. 

Steering rack broken, two passenger side doors fucked, passenger side airbags all gone off. Car is a write off. And I'll get fuck all from the insurance for a 2003 Ford Galaxy.

Trying to calm down but wondering what the he'll I'm going to do for a replacement.  
0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    The main thing is you are unhurt.
    It is a total bugger and I hope there is a solution but just try to remember that the main thing is you are in one piece.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 13reaction image Wisdom
  • Bloody hell, there must be something in the water...that's the third one I've heard about in a fortnight...all with the same insurance kick in the bollocks.

Glad you're physically ok.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Glad you're OK. So it wasn't your fault. Make sure you seek urgent medical attention for whiplash, shock, and any other ailment you can think of - you obviously can't sleep. Get signed off work and let your insurance company know and get them to sue the arse of whoever did this to you.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • MattBansheeMattBanshee Frets: 1498
    You won't get much for the car, but hopefully you'll get a fair chunk for the whiplash, back pain, sleepless nights and ongoing anxiety that you'll be able to claim for.

As everyone has said, the most important thing is that you are still in one piece.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ourmaninthenorthourmaninthenorth Frets: 3418
    edited August 2017
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4302
    Fretwired said:
    Get signed off work
    Fat chance, I'm self employed. And no whiplash, I'm not playing that fraudulent game.
    1reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 42reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30273
    You might think you haven't got whiplash but I'm sure an ambulance chaser could find you a doctor who will swear you're now confined to a wheelchair.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CarpeDiemCarpeDiem Frets: 275
    Whilst it's no consolation, the good news is that you're unhurt. It may be a long shot, but it may be worth asking if you can get a deal under the new scrappage scheme if you replace it with a new car. Alternatively, there may be more used cars available as trade-ins as a result of new September car registrations.
  • I hope the dumble in the boot is ok..
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • hywelg said:
    Fretwired said:
    Get signed off work
    Fat chance, I'm self employed. And no whiplash, I'm not playing that fraudulent game.
    That's the spirit. 

Have you got a courtesy car option on your policy, whilst the insures are assessing the damage...? it'll buy you a few days to get another runner on the road. 

Been here, it's a right pain in the bloody arse. 

Keep punching. 
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4302
    hywelg said:
    Fretwired said:
    Get signed off work
    That's the spirit. 

Have you got a courtesy car option on your policy, whilst the insures are assessing the damage...? it'll buy you a few days to get another runner on the road. 

Keep punching. 
    Waiting for the insurers to call me. I've lodged a claim with the legal protection people that my policy includes. Not sure what the policy will allow me regarding a loaner. Got a suspicion the other parties' insurance is going to argue the case as the side road has just been resurfaced and there are no stop markings adjacent to the main road.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17485
    edited August 2017 tFB Trader
    hywelg said:
    Fretwired said:
    Get signed off work

Good for you.

Don't play that bullshit game.

Glad you are OK. Hope the insurance is more than you expect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • hywelg said:
    hywelg said:
    Fretwired said:
    Get signed off work
    That's the spirit. 

Keep punching. 
    Waiting for the insurers to call me. I've lodged a claim with the legal protection people that my policy includes. Not sure what the policy will allow me regarding a loaner. Got a suspicion the other parties' insurance is going to argue the case as the side road has just been resurfaced and there are no stop markings adjacent to the main road.
    Hope the call brings some good news. 

You've done all you can for the time being...can I suggest you switch off for 20 minutes and have a cup of tea? It often helps me when I'm pissed off to the DNA. 

Take it easy, best. 
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4028
    edited August 2017
    [EDIT]  glad you're okay physically.  That is actually the most important thing.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30273
    hywelg said:
    hywelg said:
    Fretwired said:
    Get signed off work
    That's the spirit. 

Keep punching. 
    Can that be an excuse for shooting out onto a main road?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71960
    hywelg said:

No excuse. Where there are no road markings you must always give way to traffic on the major road, and if you can't tell which is the major road then you must proceed with caution, so the other driver is still in the wrong whatever.

The good news is that they did hit you from the side so you're less likely to have been injured, rather than crossing in front of you too close to stop so you hit them side-on instead.

The bad news is that you'll get next to nothing for the Galaxy - they'll base it on the market value, multiply by 2/3, and take off the excess… for a 14-year-old MPV that will leave about £3.50. You'll then have to fight the other insurance company to get your excess back even if they don't contest the fault.

I worry about my old Renault Scenic for something like this happening - it's worth much more to me than it is as a car, and if I had to replace it I'd struggle to get anything worth having without paying a lot more.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7350
    hywelg said:
    . And no whiplash, I'm not playing that fraudulent game. 
    Good on you mate.

Sorry to hear about it :-( 
    Red ones are better. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17136
    I know where there's a Ford Ka going for £1,500. Head gasket might be fucked, though.

5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • oafoaf Frets: 300
    Sorry to hear your news. Having had something similar happen to me I understand your frustration. A load of hassle and none of it is your fault.

Hope your insurance look after you. When some numpty went into me my insurers were very helpful and it wasn't anything like the nightmare I'd feared.

Good luck and glad you're still in one piece.
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6021
    Fingers crossed your insurers come through for you. You're okay, that's the main thing, could have been a lot worse.