NGD

I've been on the lookout for a cheap acoustic to string up in 'nashville tuning' for recording doubled guitar parts and today I picked up this:

Its a hohner mw600n, needs a clean and new strings but its lovely!  the previous owner told me it was made in 1969 but i'm not so sure of that - it was made in korea and that seems a little early to be outsourcing work to the far east; I will have to look into it.

The fingerboard is a great fit and profile for me and it sounds wonderful - very full and rich.  Only problem is I'm now doubting whether I should string it up nashville style or keep it normal - i think with a little attention it might be nicer than my main acoustic!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15485
    is that solid RW for the back and side?

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• midiglitchmidiglitch Frets: 172
    not sure tbh - how would I tell?

Looks like it dates from about 1988.
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15485
    well, I'd guess it's solid, mostly cos I've never seen laminate being arranged like that, ala a D35 etc. It could be RW, though I am hopeless at recognising it sometimes.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3127
    Looks great - I've always had a soft spot for Hohners
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9611
    VimFuego said:
    well, I'd guess it's solid, mostly cos I've never seen laminate being arranged like that, ala a D35 etc. It could be RW, though I am hopeless at recognising it sometimes.
    Looks like there could be a centre seam in the central piece there? If so, I'd guess it's only made to look like a 3-piece back.
  • rprrpr Frets: 309
    not sure tbh - how would I tell?

Check if the grain on the outside matches the grain inside, esp any distinguishing figuring