AMT SS-11a/Kingsley Squire/Effectrode Blackbird

What's Hot
domforrdomforr Frets: 326
Anyone have experience of these preamps for direct recording into an power amp/cab sim/amp modeller like Amplitube or Scuffham?

I'm currently using the Squire as a platform for playing/recording through Amplitube 4 and it sounds pretty good, but curious if either of the other two offer anything more, or if there are any other alternatives to these that are worth considering?

Definitely looking for a Fender flavour and generally on the lighter side of overdrive.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    I've used the SS-11A a lot,  In to a power-amp/can its fantastic, recorded using IR's it's fantastic too, but the built in speaker emulation isn't really good enough for anything but an emergency.  It's a rocky one though, it's forte is not the lighter side of overdrive, but it does it very well too.

I'd say keep it all in the PC and try Helix Native, or if you want something you can use without the PC Helix.  It's made my recording so much better and easier
  • domforrdomforr Frets: 326
    I tried the Helix Native 15 day free demo and was quite unimpressed on first try. I might need to give it more time but I was preferring Amplitude 4 and Scuffham S-Gear, possible because I've had these for a while and have tweaked them accordingly. Part of me hates the notion of being entirely digital - even if there's no logical reason for it.

Haven't spent a lot of time with S-Gear, but it certainly sounds good, don't think a SS-11A. or any analogue modelling box thingy would really add much sound-wise
    Not sure I agree. Just tried them with and without the Kingsley Squire and it sounds better to me when it's on. It also makes the drive pedal I have before it sound decent, whereas if I play it straight into the software it sounds awful. Tried Helix again and it sounded just as bad :). All subjective of course. 
  • hubobuloushubobulous Frets: 2352

I have used the SS-11a live into a Two Notes CAB and also for recording. Could just have easily used PC based IRs for home recording. I loved the tone and feel of the pedal - cleaned up well, responsive and versatile. I've got it listed now since I've gone Helix, but its a very good preamp pedal IMO.

Its 3 channel and they all work as you'd expect. The clean can crunch up, the crunch can clean up and the boost/solo works very well.

Is that the one with the proper tubes in it? Not the new one with the solid state tubes? Could be interested.
    PM'd
    domforr said:
    Not sure I agree. Just tried them with and without the Kingsley Squire and it sounds better to me when it's on. It also makes the drive pedal I have before it sound decent, whereas if I play it straight into the software it sounds awful. Tried Helix again and it sounded just as bad . All subjective of course. 
    When you say 'straight in to the software' do you mean straight in to the DAW or in to Amplitube ? Don't know why it should sound 'better' but as you say it's subjective, if you like it just go with it.  The SS-11A is great, but if you are using low gain sounds and not bothered about channel switching then the Kingley looks just the job as a nice preamp
  • kjdowdkjdowd Frets: 852
    The blackbird clean channel is immense. My fave clean sound ever. V1 not great DI'd but V2 supposed to be better 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30882
    edited August 2017
    kjdowd said:
    The blackbird clean channel is immense. My fave clean sound ever. V1 not great DI'd but V2 supposed to be better 
    Absolutely couldn't agree more. I've sold 3 Cornish pedals since re-visiting the V2 Blackbird. IMO, the best all round dirt pedal cum preamp money can buy.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

Ok, well that sounds promising. Anyone got one to sell?:)
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30882
    domforr said:
    Ok, well that sounds promising. Anyone got one to sell?:)
    I think they've got new ones in stock

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

Alas, not in stock.