Musicman Axis - owner opinions

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• ElwoodElwood Frets: 452
    I have an original EBMM EVH and love it. I have normal sized hands and whilst I notice a difference in neck size, it doesn't hamper anything.

Stunning necks to play on and overall great quality.
    Is that the one with the switch almost under the neck pickup? Very nice, got any pictures?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • It is indeed. I bought it from Chandlers back in 93(ish) from new and immediately had the trem routed. Probably killed resale, but that's not really a consideration!

The purple stain has faded which was a recognised issue, but I love it. Oddly, no pics of it but will get some
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22516
    I find the necks impossible to get on with. 

Lots of people love them though so I'd say try before you buy.
    I didn't mind the narrow nut width or the asymmetric shape of the neck (with a slightly fuller, rounder feel on the bass side than the treble).  The workmanship is fantastic, the oil/wax finish feels really good and the fretboard edges are nicely rounded.  On the maple-board necks, they slice off the entire fingerboard to insert the trussrod then glue it back in place - and the join is almost invisible.

I just wish Music Man guitars in general had the option of a fatter neck.  If they did, I would definitely still own one.
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2326
    Elwood said:
    Interesting - i'd not seen that. I know the nut changed at some point. They were bolted through, like an Ibanez, and are now surface mounted (I guess glued on).

Any idea when the change was?
    I'm not sure. I looked into it a while back and I'm sure I got a more or less definitive answer, but I forget. I think there's probably info on the Music Man official forums, or even just a google search might bring it up. Off the top of my head (but this is just a guess, it could well be wrong), I'd guess around 2012.
  • prlgmnrprlgmnr Frets: 3964
    About 2010 by the looks of it. Around when they did the Axis "Tribute" model, I think.

I've looked at a lot of these online over the last year but still haven't found one at the right price in the right colour with a nicely figured neck.
    What would you say is the right price?

I like the transgold.
  • KrisGeeKrisGee Frets: 1264
    Elwood said:
    Thanks for the help guys. Just to finish the thread off, any pictures?
    https://s5.postimg.org/yo55ahs2f/DSC05215.jpg

Had one in the past, but switched to super sports shortly after. More fun with trem and pretty much same tuning stability.
    Anyway best necks ever for me. And the build quality is top notch too.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

I've been trying to decide - I prefer a hard tail to a floyd but the Musicman is lovely. Talk about first world problems.
  • bazxkrbazxkr Frets: 610

What about the EBMM 25th anni/Reflex ? If you don't like a Floyd. With the parallel/series switching big sounding beast too.

Similar shape to the axis but they are a different in size. as the chambered body too.

• spark240spark240 Frets: 2073

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
    very nice, contrasts well with the maple neck.
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2326
    prlgmnr said:
    About 2010 by the looks of it. Around when they did the Axis "Tribute" model, I think.
    Yeah that might be more like the right time. it's fairly recently, but not that recently, kind of thing.
    It's a quiet sunday. Any more pics out there?
  • prlgmnrprlgmnr Frets: 3964
    edited September 2017
    Elwood said:
    What would you say is the right price?

I like the transgold.
    I've seen a few go on Ebay for 900-1000; given that, I don't want to go past 1200 just so I don't feel too shafted if I end up trying to move it on.
  • DavusPGDavusPG Frets: 446
    It's pretty much been covered but here goes...

I've had half a dozen MM guitars over the years, 2 of which were Axii...the necks are indeed the biggest selling point and I've yet to play anything quite so slick. 

I've recently returned to the MM fold with an L3 after 6 months of playing my LP & Suhr Modern and initially the neck felt so claustrophobic the L3 almost went back. I persevered and within a short time it wasn't and issue and i can swiutch guitars no problem. YMMV of course.

I had one of the Tribute models and a regular Axis. Both had the Musicman Floyd after they switched and both had issues when I fitted a D-Tuna...could have been user error of course!

As has been mentioned the clean tones were a bit Meh. I had a push/push pot fitted to one for coil splits and it worked surprisingly well, but these guitars are designed for gain!

I'd love another one and I'm sure it's only a matter of time, but it'll definitely be a Super Sport. Way more versatile with the 5 way selector and the MM trem is rock solid.

My band mate bought one the same time that I had my last Axis and I was quite envious of the tones he was getting from it. 

Resale value of MM in my experience isn't great, although I've done v well with them by buying 2nd hand, so if you're patient a bargain should turn up. The last Axis I had was bought mint from EBay for £675 in 2015, but I was v lucky. My band mate paid £750 for his Super Sport in June last year. He's sold it since but still says it's the most comfortable neck he's ever played....well he did until he tried the roasted maple neck on my L3.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom