Marshall 'keyboard' ????

What's Hot
flyingvflyingv Frets: 555
edited September 2017 in Amps
Been looking for another Marshall lead 12' and came across the keyboard version on eBay (cheap!) Two inputs with independent volume controls, bass / mid  / Treble .....Just wondering if anyone here has ever tried them with guitar?? Obviously no master volume here, but wondered what they would sound like with an  O/D pedal out front??
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• What are your thoughts on the lead 12?

I've just bagged a red half stack lead 12 but won't be here until next week. 
  • flyingvflyingv Frets: 555
    I've had a few over the years' since they were very first released in the early 80s, always the combo version..I think they are great' very realistic Marshall tone ( JCM 800 ) from  a SS amp.
    the red half stack sounds very cool! Enjoy ;)
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72293
    flyingv said:
    Been looking for another Marshall lead 12' and came across the keyboard version on eBay (cheap!) Two inputs with independent volume controls, bass / mid  / Treble .....Just wondering if anyone here has ever tried them with guitar?? Obviously no master volume here, but wondered what they would sound like with an  O/D pedal out front??
    The keyboard version sounds very like the lead version but with no overdrive, so it should be fine with a pedal in front. As with all these it could do with a better speaker though…

I've just bagged a red half stack lead 12 but won't be here until next week. 
    When you say 'half stack' do you mean it only has one cabinet? If so that's a shame… the full micro-stack is very cool. I had one in the early 90s, and sold it far too cheap really!

If it does only have one cabinet you'd probably be better fitting it with an 8-ohm speaker, since the stock one is not only poor but just one won't give the full power of the amp.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • flyingvflyingv Frets: 555
    @ICBM that's good to know, cheers.
  • @ICBM ;

Yes it only has the one cab with it which is the straight bottom cab. Is a shame as the whole stack would have looked great however i only bought it for the head as I've been after one for a while and they rarely come up unlike the combos which seem to pop up every few weeks. 

It will look nice as a half stack but i wont be running it through the provided cab anyway as i'm looking to run it through my 2x12 cab

Do you know if you can use the line jack to run into the fx return of a valve amp or does it not work that way?

Many thanks
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72293

Do you know if you can use the line jack to run into the fx return of a valve amp or does it not work that way?
    Yes, you should be able to. It will depend on the level the FX loop return is expecting to see, but I would think you should be able to set the head's master volume to something that will work.

Are you planning to sell the cab?

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ICBM said:

Yes, you should be able to. It will depend on the level the FX loop return is expecting to see, but I would think you should be able to set the head's master volume to something that will work.

Are you planning to sell the cab?
    Thats great thanks for the info :)

I may possibly sell the cab yes. it's not arrived yet so will need to work out if i'm selling once its here. 

I've just been offered another full stack in black for £180 so may bag another yet lol