SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

FS/FT: Handwired Friedman/JCM800 style head... Now with video demo.

What's Hot
4114Effects4114Effects Frets: 3131
edited October 2017 in Amps £ tFB Trader
Here's my take on a JCM800/Friedman head. Designed for straightforward rock it's a simple single input that's based on the high-gain input of an 800. I've made a couple of tweaks to the preamp to tame down the harsh treble, resulting in a much smoother and fuller drive but still able to cut through if you need it to. Probably closer in tone to a Friedman Dirty Shirley now, at a guess.

I've also kept the EL34 power section but decided to cathode bias, again I think this makes the drive a little less harsh and more pleasant, albeit at the expense of a few watts. 30ish seems plenty loud enough anyway, plus you can just pop whichever EL34 pair you like in there and not worry about bias. 

Master volume is now  PPIMV so you can turn down but still get phase-inverter distortion in there. Works very well for playing at bedroom levels (obviously comes into it's own when cranked though!).

Since the photos I've added three toggle switches for mods - Friedman C45, Fat and three-position gain switch for even more preamp saturation. Amp is off having a video demo filmed so I'll take photos of the switches when I have it back. 

Lot of fun to play - just plug in and turn up, control the gain with your guitar and you're off. Old school rock goodness. 

I'd like £700 for this, which is somewhat of a bargain for a handwired amp of this nature. 

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Looks the nutts!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ricorico Frets: 1220
    If you added a half power option I bet it would fly at £700. 
  • 4114Effects4114Effects Frets: 3131
    tFB Trader
    rico said:
    If you added a half power option I bet it would fly at £700. 
    Easy enough to add and happy to do that for any potential purchaser. :-)
    tFB Trader
    Bump for trades/offers ...
  • Where about you based?? Chris 
    tFB Trader
    Kinioo said:
    Where about you based?? Chris 
    Hi Chris, I'm in Queensbury, near Halifax, West Yorkshire

• Kinioo said:
    Where about you based?? Chris 
    Hi Chris, I'm in Queensbury, near Halifax, West Yorkshire

Thanks. Bit too far from where we are :(
  • Very cool-looking :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • westwest Frets: 996
    edited September 2017
    That is a thing of beauty ! .... just a ? can it only run on el34 's
    and whats the clean headroom like ...;)   ive thought about getting a suhr badger 18 el84's to add to my carr rambler , in the faint hope of ever playing live again ( very doubtfull) ... cheers west ,,

tFB Trader
    west said:
    That is a thing of beauty ! .... just a ? can it only run on el34 's
    and whats the clean headroom like ...;)   ive thought about getting a suhr badger 18 el84's to add to my carr rambler , in the faint hope of ever playing live again ( very doubtfull) ... cheers west ,,

It should be able to run 6L6 without a problem. The sound will change slightly due to the impedance mismatch but that's all. 

It's not too bad on the clean headroom, despite it being geared for gain. Run the master wide open and adjust the preamp gain and there are some lovely clean tones to be had. 6L6 will give it even more headroom though. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • westwest Frets: 996
    thanks for the info !  very tempting indeed , could you give any ideas of trades ? cheers west ..

tFB Trader
    west said:
    thanks for the info !  very tempting indeed , could you give any ideas of trades ? cheers west ..

PM me - I'll happily listen to any trades. :)
  • robmac5150robmac5150 Frets: 178
    edited September 2017
    Very cool. Our of sheer curiosity is this a hobby or a business ? Im assuming business but couldn't see u on a quick 'google'.....! Looks very professional!

tFB Trader
    Very cool. Our of sheer curiosity is this a hobby or a business ? Im assuming business but couldn't see u on a quick 'google'.....! Looks very professional!

Hobby that's slowly developing into a business. Just set up a Facebook page, website is next. Facebook.com/danplifier
  • Any updated photos following the toggle-switch installation, and any chance of sharing the demo video with us.

I think you could be onto something here ... :)

tFB Trader

Any updated photos following the toggle-switch installation, and any chance of sharing the demo video with us.

I think you could be onto something here ... :)

Vid will be share just as soon as I get hold of it ... guitarist that's doing it is quite a busy guy :)
  • will u be doing cabs?

tFB Trader
    will u be doing cabs?

I can make cabs yeah. Just had an order for a vertical 2x12 with angled top speaker, should be an interesting build. 
    tFB Trader
    Bump ... any offers? Even silly ones by PM is fine. Just sat here at the moment and I'd  rather it was a pile of cash instead. Or a guitar. 
  • Don't suppose you have sound clips you could share?