Fanned Fret Firebird

What's Hot

Comments

• PhilKingPhilKing Frets: 1479
    It's looking great.  I'm sure that it will sound good, but tbh, I've no idea how that pickup combination will work.  Marc had no worries with it though.   It's funny, but with the Firebird shape, the fanned fret look doesn't stand out at all.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16654
    I was coming here to moan about a new set of fret cutters that didn’t make it through their first fret job.

then I realised I had actually used jescar SS fretwire.

not sure how that’s happened, I was cursing the new cutters all the way through the process.  Not the cutters fault.

@philking let me know your thoughts on SS frets.  It’s pretty much just as easy to refret with NS as it is to finish up a SS job from this point.  Might actually be easier to refret, so I am not against it ;)

• DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3288
    edited January 2018 tFB Trader
    WezV said:
    after i finished working in this the other night i quickly hung it up on the wall on top of my John Birch Les Paul, just because it was as convenient place as any

Every time i walk past it i stop and have a look

I was never a fan of the Bona-Byrd, but there is something about the combination above that is really working for me
    I really like the bona Byrd and something I'd definitely make if I've got enough time
    I'd even try that on a dc junior body or a jazzmaster 
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
  • Any update?
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    It’s all sealed and ready for paint, but the big swings in weather are delaying that
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 3003
    Slightly deranged post alert.
    so last nights dream (don’t panic) concerned me being at college training to be a guitar builder (I am currently doing an evening class on guitar restoration at Anniesland College) and I was being quizzed about the projects on my bench. Two or three of them were things that I am working on but half way through the tutor picks up this piece and says “So tell me about this fan fret Firebird then ?” And I look up and he’s holding the centre section of your guitar ....
    What is going on in my head ? 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2427
    edited February 2018
    For what it's worth I really like the pickups with no mount, they look great by themselves and it gets a little crowded with the mounts.

Also, this guitar needs to be tobacco burst or Pelham blue (like an Elliott Easton SG)
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
    strtdv said:
    For what it's worth I really like the pickups with no mount, they look great by themselves and it gets a little crowded with the mounts.

Also, this guitar needs to be tobacco burst or Pelham blue (like an Elliott Easton SG)
    its going to be white, or off white.  currently its very white primer

the pickup rings will be  the very last job i do so its up in the air until then
    looks like i have jumped ahead a bit.   Finish was delayed due to the weather but colour and clear are now on.... just a few light coats  of nitro.  it will sink and age fairly quickly and relic nicely if I decide to add a bit of age.

still not decided on the plate colour.  It won;t be the one below because the switching will be different - I am considering clear perspex sprayed silver on the back in the gretsch style.   depends on the ring choice really

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27433
    My eyes are saying that the pickups ought to be slanted, getting more slanted from neck towards the bridge?
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    too late for that kind of thing ;)

I don't like angled pickups unless they are shaped to fit, and i don't think anyone makes fitertrons in custom angled parallelograms
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27433
    Yup, I realised that it was a totally impractical (ok, "daft"!) thing to say ... but my eyes insisted.
    ;)
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    I think I prefer the look of that without pickup rings

It's looking great so far
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    I made a quick card guard to try out another colour option.   I reckon that could look pretty good with black reflector knobs... but 5-ply or single...hmm

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26923
    You mentioned a Gretsch-style silver-undersprayed guard earlier. Have you considered that but with a "winged" version of your WV logo where Gibson would normally put the firebird emblem? That would suit the theme very nicely...  

Tho admittedly it’s a little “Van Helen logo”..
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Or maybe wings closer to the firebird style? 
  • DLMDLM Frets: 2513
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    not a bad idea, i am starting to consider how to incorporate a logo but haven't settled on anything yet. 
    DLM said:
    Ha! Stupid autocorrect...
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom