Put this little experiment together - Helix Floor vs Helix Native

PJHPJH Frets: 25
I put this track together using the Helix Floor Hardware version plugged into the DAW (Sonar Platinum) and then created the same track using Helix Native.

I used my Plexi Crunch Patch and played the parts separately. I've tried to match the levels as best as I can but other than that there was no post processing.

I brought my patch into Helix Native and tracked the parts. I set up my audio interface so that there was no latency and played as though I was using the hardware Helix.

I then re tracked the parts with the same patch in the Helix Floor and recorded them again.

I'm really impressed with how close these tones are (I know that Line 6 has said that they're supposed to be identical but I just had to see for myself)

Cheers

Peter.

Helix Native
https://soundcloud.com/peter-john-hanmer/helix-native-plexi-crunch-1

Helix Floor
https://soundcloud.com/peter-john-hanmer/helix-plexi-crunch
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Jonathanthomas83Jonathanthomas83 Frets: 3469
    edited September 2017
    Good comparison, to my ears the floor unit sounds tighter and more defined. But that could be a placebo effect. Pretty certain I prefer it though.

EDIT: Ah, I dunno, there's not much in it at all is there really! Maybe my ears are playing up! Either way, good job!
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • FezFez Frets: 522
    Fair dom the difference is minuscule, sounds great too.
    Don't touch that dial.
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    Just listened on my monitors and they sound near as the same.  I actually liked the native clip better :). Sounds great
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28138
    Presumably the sums are the same for both, so any differences will be in the interfaces.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • Sporky said:
    Presumably the sums are the same for both, so any differences will be in the interfaces.
    In theory if you capture the DI digitally from the Helix to your computer there should be no colour added and then using Helix should sound the same as Native.

I've not listened to the clips yet but I'd be surprised if there was enough difference to care about, if there's even any difference at all
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28138
    I missed that bit!

Yes. Should be identical then. Same input and output stages and the same sums being done in the middle.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • PJHPJH Frets: 25
    Yep, summing them won't be ideal as the two tracks were physically replayed for each recording. I decided to do it this way instead of just doing an extra DI from the Helix floor for the user who doesn't have the hardware version. I was able to setup the DAW with next to zero latency and play through Native as though I was using the hardware version.