Speaker recommendation please!

Hi guys. I recently bought a Bad Cat Bobcat 100r which sounds superb... but... I'd like a bit of a warmer clean sound out of it, it's pretty bright even with the tone knob fully down.

The stock speaker is a Bad Cat branded Celestion Vintage 30. What speaker is similar but fuller in the low end? Perhaps the v30 just needs to be played in?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• what about either a G12H? or a G12M Creamback
    The answer was never 42 - it's 1/137 (..ish)
  • +1 for Creamback
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72298
    edited September 2017
    I assumed from the model name that this is a 100W amp... wrong .

If it's only a 5-watter then the V30 is entirely the wrong choice in my opinion - at low power input they can sound quite harsh, as well as stiff - they're one of the few speakers that really does need a bit more of a 'push' to make it sound good… even after breaking in.

I would split the difference with SunDevil and suggest the G12H-75 Creamback - it's fuller in the low end than the G12M, and although it's also brighter at the top end it's not at all the same as the upper-mid spike which makes the V30 sound so aggressive. Both the Creambacks are great speakers though.

The G12H-30 is also great if you're worried about a 75W speaker not being driven hard enough by the amp - it's a bit looser and more open-sounding than the Creamback.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Thanks everyone. @ICBM will the G12H-75 give me roughly the same headroom/perceived volume as the v30? It was perfect at my last gig (mic'd up).
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72298
    Thanks everyone. @ICBM will the G12H-75 give me roughly the same headroom/perceived volume as the v30? It was perfect at my last gig (mic'd up).
    Yes - in theory! They are both 100dB speakers. In practice the V30 does sound a little louder though, exactly because it has that aggressive/cutting tone. Probably not enough for it to be a problem.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein