Oil City Pickups prize winner build

What's Hot
OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 9987
Now we come to the build thread for the 'have your signature pickup designed' prize winning pickups.
This has been a while coming, as the pickups are based on Wide Range covers and baseplates, and require quite a bit of internal design and fabrication ... but here we go with a first look at those lovely, big covers.

Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 9reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Yeeeee haaaaa! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
    Ooooh! I love that look with the offset screws
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 9987
    tFB Trader
    These are proper 1972 repro size covers ... they will have a light relic job done as well
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

tFB Trader

Custom bobbin flatwork laser cut ... loaded with a 'Multiple Grade Magnet Array' of alnico 5 and alnico 2 to fine tune the tone.
    Next the custom reflector plate that fine tunes the pickup's inductance will be cut and tested ... then the pickup wound ... this is the neck unit. 

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14324
    Tidy job. 

I have to confess that, where FWR pickups are concerned, I am a CuNiFe snob. I like Five-Two Stratocaster pickups. How might your custom-build pickups fare with other AlNiCo formulations?
    Be seeing you.
    edited October 2017 tFB Trader
    I use all different grades of alnico in my WRs. CuNiFe is not used in any new WRs I am aware of these days, even the ones with threaded magnets, as it's no longer  manufactured. Most manufacturers use alnico with laser cut threads (you can't mechanically cut threads on alnico, far too hard).    
    https://magnetsim.com/blog/imi-now-offers-cunife-replacement-sintered-alnico-2-or-6

• MegiiMegii Frets: 1670
    Without wishing you to give the plot away too soon, can I ask what kind tone result are you shooting for with these custom pickups @TheGuitarWeasel ?
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1763
    And an idea if price please (just after a neck one) as these seem super exciting
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited November 2017 tFB Trader
    The pickups have been completed, and are in @badlydrawnbanjo s guitar ... he seems to like them :-)

You will soon be able to by similar pickups ... they are to be Oil City Masterwound 'Message' humbuckers. 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • He likes them a lot. Ladies and gentlemen, please meet the message part 1 and the message part 2!
  • RkphilpotRkphilpot Frets: 163
    The pickups have been completed, and are in @badlydrawnbanjo s guitar ... he seems to like them :-)

You will soon be able to by similar pickups ... they are to be Oil City Masterwound 'Message' humbuckers. 
    Hey Ash, I have 3 sets of your pups and love them, will these be available again? Would love a set.
    tFB Trader
    No problem running up a set of wide range 'Masterwounds' for you ... the level of busy I am most of the time (especially in the last three years of pandemic crap) has meant some pickups have taken a back burner - doesn't mean they are dead though!

• I still love these pickups! It’s my go to guitar. 
    tFB Trader
    I still love these pickups! It’s my go to guitar. 
    Comments like this keep me going to work every day :-)

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom