Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

FS: Linn turntable

What's Hot
TTonyTTony Frets: 27455
Bit of a longshot listing it here (and it is on one of the hifi sites too).  This was my father's, but he decided not to take it with him ...

So, in the interests of keeping my mother in tea-bags and digestive biscuits, this is now for sale.

Linn Sondek LP12 turntable with an Ittok LV II arm and an Ortofon Cadenza Red cartridge - £1750.

I've been advised to part it out to maximise the value, but I don't really want to take it apart and sell the components separately, mainly because I don't want the hassle or risk of damaging any of it or being left with something unsold.  

I'm told that the power to the deck is an upgraded "Mose Hercules" unit which probably means more to you (if you're looking at this with any sort of interest) than it does to me!

It does have a box, but I don't really want to entrust it to MyHermes to deliver safely, so collection preferred from South Cheshire.
Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
0reaction image LOL 8reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• vizviz Frets: 10691
    edited September 2017
    Say, that's a nice deck. hope you get what it's worth mate
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Looks like a big deck, too.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27455
    Looks like a big deck, too.
    The chunky bit of perspex that its sitting on isn't physically part of the deck - although whoever buys it is welcome to the perspex too - I'm guessing that he used it to improve the isolation from everything else.
  • WOW !!!!
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12361
    TTony said:
    Looks like a big deck, too.
    The chunky bit of perspex that its sitting on isn't physically part of the deck - although whoever buys it is welcome to the perspex too - I'm guessing that he used it to improve the isolation from everything else.
    That's a pukka deck isolation platform, your dad obviously took his hifi very seriously. Lovely piece of kit, GLWS. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    boogieman said:
    your dad obviously took his hifi very seriously
    He did.
  • GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    I would love this but am unfortunately about a grand short of being able to afford it! GLWTS. :-)
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Lovely deck .. have you tried the main UK Hi-Fi group on Facebook ... guys on there buy stuff like this ... good luck.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    Thanks for the suggestion @Fretwired, but I've stayed resolutely clear of the other FB, and I'm not joining now.

If you're on there and want to point any of those guys in this direction, that'd be appreciated!
  • Doug Brady Warrington - if all else fails?
  • Cymbiosis might be interested in that  https://www.cymbiosis.com/contact/

its a bloody beauty, arm and cart is best part of what you are asking..
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4916
    My kids will have an LP12 with Ittok to dispense with when my time comes...

As far as selling it, it'll go on ebay for sure.

There are also some hi-fi groups and web sites around.
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4980
    @TTony, you could advertise it on www.tirnahifi.org [a friendly Irish hi-fi website that has membership all over Europe].  The LP12 looks great by the way. GLWTS
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• prowlaprowla Frets: 4916
    edited September 2017
    A note on moving it...

The turntable & arm are on a sprung sub-chassis; to move it you have to take the outer ring off the turntable and then slightly raise the inner ring & spindle to rest on a couple of pieces of thick card, or polystyrene foam from the packaging (maybe 0.5-1 cm thick).

If you don't you'll throw the adjustment out and also probably damage the bearing at the bottom of the spindle.

The felt mat is an important part of the unit too, so be careful with that (and don't do anything daft like folding it!).
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Also hifi emporium take 2nd hand stuff. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    I joined theArtofSound forum just to sell some of his stuff.  A lot of it has gone on there already, but they're all suggesting that I part it out rather than sell it as a complete unit, and I'm reluctant to do that for reasons above.

@Rocker - that forum looks (a) pretty Irish and (b) relatively quiet, so I'll keep it to the mainland based sites for now.

@prowla - thanks for the tip - I'm intending to insist on "collection only" so that the buyer can see it working and pack it themselves.  I'm aware of how sensitive it all is!

@viz @strumjoughlamps @trolley - dealers noted, thanks.  I'm going to try to avoid those if I can (presume that they'll have a fair margin to make on it), as there's no great rush to sell - just need to make sure I get it sold before the great vinyl revival comes to its end ...

They will make a markup but I think you've undervalued your deck anyway. 
    viz said:
    They will make a markup but I think you've undervalued your deck anyway. 
    It's been just about impossible to value it.  

There are so many upgrades & mods that can be done to these, that each one ends up being a pretty unique combination, so past sales are of only vaguely similar combinations and so are of little use in establishing a fair price.

But if it gets no bites, a few emails to some dealers would cost nothing I guess ... 
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2409
    With a deck like that, I really think you should get in to vinyl.
    beed84 said:
    With a deck like that, I really think you should get in to vinyl.

Which reminds me of a conversation I had with my old mum a few weeks ago ...

Me:  "I've got rid of the amps, I've go the speakers, just the turntable to go now"

MyMum:  "Oh good, I want rid of all of it"

Me:  "Then we'll have to do something with all his old LPs"

MyMum:  "Oh no, I want to keep those"

Me:  "Errrmmmm, what for?"

MyMum:  "To listen to, silly!"

Me:  "But you wanted rid of all the kit that you needed to play them on ...."

She now wants "one of those old things like we used to have, with the record player and the speakers all in together".

He'd probably be spinning at 78rpm if he weren't cremated ...
    Image2.jpg 67.1K
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom