NanoWriMo

What's Hot
I have wanted to write a novel for years so Im considering trying NoNoWriMo this year, which is a yearly competition where you try to write a novel during the month of November.

Anyone up for it? Or got any tips? Perhaps our existing authors @samzadgan or @Dave_Vader ;

Problem number 1 is Im not sure what to write about, I would say naturally I'm drawn towards dark / deep scifi but I wonder if that might be too ambitious to keep track of everything for a first project so I'm thinking maybe a Philip K Dick style layered reality / drug influenced thing might be fun too.

ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• CabbageCatCabbageCat Frets: 5549
    edited September 2017

I have several friends in Nano. It's not for writing a good novel so much as practising writing. Quantity over quality.

My mother says that authors generally need to write a million words of unpublishable tripe before they can manage a good book and NanoWriMo is perfect for that. Having said that, one of her author friends writes a 50,000 word shell (a grown-up novel is expected to be 80,000 words plus nowadays) during November and then spends the rest of the year turning it into something worthwhile.

It doesn't matter what you write about. Write about why the dude didn't hold the door for you this morning. Words words words.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

My mother says that authors generally need to write a million words of unpublishable tripe before they can manage a good book and NanoWriMo is perfect for that. 

Do posts on here count?
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    edited September 2017

My mother says that authors generally need to write a million words of unpublishable tripe before they can manage a good book and NanoWriMo is perfect for that. 

Do posts on here count?

No. They need to have a beginning, a middle and an end.

...having said that, if you think about varying vocabulary, punctuation and creative style when you are posting then you are polishing a few of the (iirc) ten skills needed for a good book.

• I have an unhealthy prejudice against "amateur" writers, although to be fair the only way to become a professional is to write. ;)

My wife and I met a local "author" recently, and she told us about a group called Concentric that had put on a performance at the local ex-library-now-community-space. She told us we should look up the word "concentric". I understand now why some people become curmudgeonly in their old age. I should have said "Why, has the fucking meaning changed recently?", but I just nodded politely.

Anyway, good luck! :)
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
  • People have an unhealthy prejudice against amateur originals bands too but that hasn't stopped me yet! I have actually been paid to write a book before though but it was a technical book rather than a novel and as such the plot was thin, there was way too much exposition and the characters were woefully under-developed. 
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • People have an unhealthy prejudice against amateur originals bands too but that hasn't stopped me yet! I have actually been paid to write a book before though but it was a technical book rather than a novel and as such the plot was thin, there was way too much exposition and the characters were woefully under-developed. 

There definitely was a heavy prejudice against self-published authors. In the olden days so-called "vanity publishing" cost thousands to get a printer to produce a small run that would then sit in a garage until they got eaten by rats. In order to get to that point an author would have to be pretty desperate (usually delusional as well) - and desperation is never attractive. Plus I think that getting published is so difficult that authors are pretty proud of that achievement - they didn't like it when people bought their way into the club (the Crime Writers Association used to be very picky about membership qualification).

Nowadays it only costs a few hundred quid to get an ebook hosted somewhere and some don't even bother getting a real publisher to look at their stuff (there are self-published folk here who can elaborate on cost) so I think it's seen more as a harmless hobby than an attempt to pay to win.

•  one of her author friends writes a 50,000 word shell (a grown-up novel is expected to be 80,000 words plus nowadays) during November and then spends the rest of the year turning it into something worthwhile.

That's exactly how I wrote my last book. Although not using Nano as a jumpoff point. I scrawl a shell, and then add jokes/descriptive bits/a whole new plot until it works.

• I'm up for it!

I'm a horror author so I'll come up with something depraved lol.

As for tips, I usually set a timer and see what I can write/brainstorm in that time period then reread it next day to see how it looks.

Twisted Imaginings - A Horror And Gore Themed Blog http://bit.ly/2DF1NYi

• Cool. I have the same user name as in here so give me an add if you go for it. Would be good to have some peer pressure from here to help me follow through .
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • Cool. I have the same user name as in here so give me an add if you go for it. Would be good to have some peer pressure from here to help me follow through .
    Ok, I'm using the same name too. Add incoming :)

• holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    I have a rough idea for a sci-fi story. If I could spend a couple of hours a day on it throughout november that would be pretty cool. It probably won't be good enough for publishing, but where's the harm in doing something creative?
    My V key is broken
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I have wanted to write a novel for years so Im considering trying NoNoWriMo this year, which is a yearly competition where you try to write a novel during the month of November.

Anyone up for it? Or got any tips? Perhaps our existing authors @samzadgan or @Dave_Vader ;

Problem number 1 is Im not sure what to write about, I would say naturally I'm drawn towards dark / deep scifi but I wonder if that might be too ambitious to keep track of everything for a first project so I'm thinking maybe a Philip K Dick style layered reality / drug influenced thing might be fun too.

this comes at a good point...I've actually got some ideas festering away in my head...so i'm up for it. I just signed up...samzadgan
  • After casting around a bit I've come up with a good (well a suitably pretentious) concept on the way to work in the car this morning. 
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • I was going to write a book about my wife's family, who are all bunny-boiler-grade nuts.

"Write about what you know", as they say. Hmm, maybe I'll try it in November.
  • Cant see either of you as authors yet...might be a lag.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • @PolarityMan I searched for you and Sam last night but couldn't find you. I'll try again today.

I've been toying with an idea for a ghost story for a while which is what I've chosen for the competition. I'm going to have to tone down the gore though ;)

edited September 2017

I've been toying with an idea for a ghost story for a while which is what I've chosen for the competition. I'm going to have to tone down the gore though

"Be fearless".

Nano is an excuse to write things that you don't expect other people to ever read. You'll be a better writer if you write stuff your own way.

• Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Stephen King says write at least 1000 words a day.
  • I feel like I can handle that for a month
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • I think 1500 as a target is recommended for teh NaNoWriMo? I think Mr King is referring to EVERY day, 365.25 days per year.