Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Northampton Jam Session - Sunday 3rd December - 1 to 5pm

What's Hot

Comments

• I should come...via Plymouth...just for shits and giggles
    Ensure you stab yourself with a bushcraft knife before setting off.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bigjonbigjon Frets: 680
    mrkb said:

Does anyone have any good links to websites that list suitable jam songs and their chord structure?

My master setlist for my band is at the link below. Copy and paste it into your own spreadsheet, then sort by "Jam?" A-Z (currently column Q) and by "Chance Of Inclusion" Z-A (currently column R). That will give you 80-odd easily jammable songs ordered by popularity at gigs. The chord progressions are currently in column I.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1yCjKJEglc8468JQwEG7fyunIC-bqUEcBYZLXZJhtrZo/edit?usp=sharing
  • aord43aord43 Frets: 287
    I'm still up for it.  Great fun =)
    Maybe as well as playing songs "straight" we could have some more "organic" jams, eg. as we did in the practice room at Leicester, we play the chords to for example Hey Joe, and take turns in playing solos.
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6775
    bigjon said:
    mrkb said:

Does anyone have any good links to websites that list suitable jam songs and their chord structure?

My master setlist for my band is at the link below. Copy and paste it into your own spreadsheet, then sort by "Jam?" A-Z (currently column Q) and by "Chance Of Inclusion" Z-A (currently column R). That will give you 80-odd easily jammable songs ordered by popularity at gigs. The chord progressions are currently in column I.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1yCjKJEglc8468JQwEG7fyunIC-bqUEcBYZLXZJhtrZo/edit?usp=sharing
    Thanks Jon! That will be very useful.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • Wow this thread exploded while I've been away - hope I'm not too late to sign on @mrkb ?

Would be great to meet up with and jam with you guys again :)  
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • bigjon said:
    mrkb said:

There's also this list

http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/285/one-chord-progression-songs-suitable-for-jams-or-encores/p1

Maybe there's one or two useful ones in there.
    One day I'm going to make a guitar out of butter to experience just how well it actually plays.
  • As a room 4 jammer in Leicester, count me in.....
    I'm sure we can fit in everyone who's responded so far. I'll book a second room so there's a place to hang out, acoustic jam and learn from each other in a lower volume room (practice amps only and I'll bring a cajon for rhythms and it doubles as a seat!). Got to work now, so will summarise where we're at this evening.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    Alnico said:
    mike_l said:
    Provisional yes from me.
    @Alnico provided we're both there, I'll let you have  proper play of the Jackson.
    Man I would really like that.
    One of my top 3 guitars of all time.
    Thanks.

I know you'd like it. That's why I said it. 

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

OK, Ive booked a second room for warm up/ acoustic jamming/ chatting/ equipment fondling, etc. So I think we'll cope with the current 13 people OK. Will put any others on the standby list as Im sure the numbers will fluctuate until the day..

Im starting to assemble a songs list - suggest the Jam Sophomores re-do their Leicester tracks so they get another run through under their belts and can then build on that with other songs if they want to. I'd like to do a mix of structured songs and more free form jamming - I found the main room at Leicester inspiring as I had 2 full songs to learn with a great backing band, and the smaller jam room better for learning as I could experiment/fail and try again and no-one noticed/cared. So will probably aim for 30 min sessions of each through out the afternoon.

@spark240 and @bigjon have also supplied lists of good jam songs, so I'll try and compile some of those for any "room 2" play alongs that develop. 

I'd also love to give @Alnico the chance to get that Comfortably Numb solo aired in public.

So please add to the songs list below. 

To add your song it you're committing to:-

A) playing it on the day (please state which bits you want to play - Rhythm or solo, etc)

B) creating/googling a chord/word song sheet before hand so others can follow the same song (I'll compile these and print them out for the event)

Songs:-

Hard to Handle (Second public performance of this for me)

Foxy Lady (Second public performance of this for me)

Comfortably Numb (I'll learn the chord sequence to back up Alnico on rhythm guitar)

Jams:-

Purple Haze (E7#9, G, A)

Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    I'll Take Comfy - Lead Guitar and RW Vocals and also I'll have Rhythm Guitar and Lead Vocals on 'Jolene' by Ray Lamontagne.
    I'm already sure that @Bridgehouse will approve, agree and join in.

Comfy is in Bm
    Jolene is in G
  • Alnico said:
    I'll Take Comfy - Lead Guitar and RW Vocals and also I'll have Rhythm Guitar and Lead Vocals on 'Jolene' by Ray Lamontagne.
    I'm already sure that @Bridgehouse will approve, agree and join in.

Comfy is in Bm
    Jolene is in G
    Yes bass for both for me.

I will see what other bass parts I can conjure up ;)
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12663
    edited September 2017
    mrkb said:

I'd also love to give @Alnico the chance to get that Comfortably Numb solo aired in public.

Amen.

Mark, I'll gladly play rhythm for you on that.

I'd love to be part of this as its fairly local - quite happy to do exactly the same as I did in Leicester and fill in where needed, plus tech/roadie for folks. So stick me on the reserve list, please.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    impmann said:
    mrkb said:

Amen.

Mark, I'll gladly play rhythm for you on that.

I'd love to be part of this as its fairly local - quite happy to do exactly the same as I did in Leicester and fill in where needed, plus tech/roadie for folks. So stick me on the reserve list, please.
    I said to @Bridgehouse yesterday I'm starting to come back to life, slowly though.
    The timeframe of this gives me a chance.
    I had 'Comfy' nailed and then got my head blown off by my now ex-wife so looking at what's ahead of me, there's enough time to find the will to pick the guitar back up again and then hopefully by then, I'll be in the right frame of mind to let it all out while I'm playing.

Thanks for organising this @mrkb and it's local enough for me to be able to cope too.
    I'll only need a couple of guitars and my FX.

Shall I bring the Universe 7 string with me?
    Feline are in the process of making it fit for Steve Vai himself right now. By then I (Hopefully) will have worked out what to do with one (This is my first) and then maybe I can do some practical demo's and teach a little about how to play one.
    Just an idea.

I can get the train with that, the Strat and my FX case.
    (And a fucking good rucksack).

I think it's about 30 minutes from me and I live right next to the train station.

Oh yeah, and as I'm apparently single now it would appear that I'm totally free that day.
  • NikkoNikko Frets: 1803
    Glad to hear the fog is slowly starting to clear mate. Wish I could come to this one, but sadly I will be away with work :(
    **Signature space available for a reasonable fee. Enquire within**
  • Not sure if I should put my jam songs on the list just yet... but I will have a think!

I've learnt a lot from Saturday, still internalising it all!
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    Not sure what song(s) I'd want to do yet, I will re-suggest (rejected from Leicester) the Scissor Sisters "Take Your Mama".  It has easy chords and soloing over it is just minor pentatonic (perhaps with a bit of major in there).
    aord43 said:
    Not sure what song(s) I'd want to do yet, I will re-suggest (rejected from Leicester) the Scissor Sisters "Take Your Mama".  It has easy chords and soloing over it is just minor pentatonic (perhaps with a bit of major in there).

Im open to trying it, but I definitely cant sing that high and it might need some funky guitar to do the keyboard bits. Do you have the song\chord structure documented? 

Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • If im not too late put me down for please @mrkb ;