Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Northampton Jam Session - Sunday 3rd December - 1 to 5pm

What's Hot

Comments

• AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    I'll quite happily jump up and play 'Stay with me' in open E.
    It's 2 minutes to retune the Tele and it will be great to play on that guitar.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BroccoBrocco Frets: 88
    In terms of the instructional practice idea I would really appreciate being shown the lead overdubs for Fortunate Son and some of the lead embellishments on Wishing Well. Would also welcome some instruction on slide (although attempting any slide on Tush or Stay With Me is likely way beyond me!).
    Brocco said:
    In terms of the instructional practice idea I would really appreciate being shown the lead overdubs for Fortunate Son and some of the lead embellishments on Wishing Well. Would also welcome some instruction on slide (although attempting any slide on Tush or Stay With Me is likely way beyond me!).
    I cant help with slide but the other two things I can.

I'll brush up on it all over the next week or so and see if I can put something together to help you in another room before you play it.

None of that is *very* hard to play but I understand it's unfamiliar.
    Where do you live?

While I'm doing this......... @pablo .........are you free one day next week?

I'll be more or less free all next week running up to the Jam.
    If anyone who's Jamming with us wants to bolt to my place and jam for a few hours of learning and running over all this, I'll have backing tracks, tea, coffee and all the noise friendliness you need.
    This week is sketchy but next week I've kept free for you lot to do this if you need to.

An open offer to anyone that is within feasible distance and thinks that a few hours of 1 - 1 will help them on the day.
    Let me know beforehand what you want to focus on.

There's plenty of guitars and amps here but I would suggest you bring the guitar you're going to play on the day.
    I can do basic tech jobs here as well if you need that doing,.......bring a set of strings with you if you want to do that.
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12663
    I’ll gladly teach anyone the slide part of Tush as it’s pretty simple. 
    Bring your bottlenecks - I’ll show you. :-)
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

Thanks @Alnico, really appreciate your very kind offer. I'm based in Gloucestetshire but work in London, so with those logistics am very inlikely to be able to meet up before the jam. It would be great to learn from you on the day ahead of the performances though.
  • Alnico said:
    Brocco said:

I cant help with slide but the other two things I can.

I'll brush up on it all over the next week or so and see if I can put something together to help you in another room before you play it.

None of that is *very* hard to play but I understand it's unfamiliar.
    Where do you live?

While I'm doing this......... @pablo .........are you free one day next week?

I'll be more or less free all next week running up to the Jam.
    If anyone who's Jamming with us wants to bolt to my place and jam for a few hours of learning and running over all this, I'll have backing tracks, tea, coffee and all the noise friendliness you need.
    This week is sketchy but next week I've kept free for you lot to do this if you need to.

An open offer to anyone that is within feasible distance and thinks that a few hours of 1 - 1 will help them on the day.
    Let me know beforehand what you want to focus on.

There's plenty of guitars and amps here but I would suggest you bring the guitar you're going to play on the day.
    I can do basic tech jobs here as well if you need that doing,.......bring a set of strings with you if you want to do that.
    That's very kind mate, i would be very interested in popping over for a jam and run through
    Brocco said:
    Thanks @Alnico, really appreciate your very kind offer. I'm based in Gloucestetshire but work in London, so with those logistics am very inlikely to be able to meet up before the jam. It would be great to learn from you on the day ahead of the performances though.
    No problem,

There is a small glimmer of hope of a webcam thing being possible BUT it's not guaranteed at all.
    If I can make that happen for you, I'll set something up through skype.
    Leave it with me for a few days.

Otherwise, before or during the jam is fine.

@adampeter
    Let me know when next week.
    Anytime except Thursday from 2 pm - 8 pm.
  • Alnico said:

@adampeter
    Thanks @Alnico ;, i'm off next week so very flexible, shall i pm you?
    adampeter said:
    Alnico said:

@adampeter
    Thanks @Alnico ;, i'm off next week so very flexible, shall i pm you?
    Sure.
    No problem.
  • NikkoNikko Frets: 1803

Just popped in to catch up on this thread (even though im not able to attend this one...boo.... :(), and thought id add my 2p worth regarding playing in front of/with strangers for the first time.

Before the Quad Jam, I had actually played some basic rhythm guitar a few times, Live, in front of an audience, on a stage (check me out), but it was always an audience made up of fellow students of the music school I was getting lessons at, and their Wives/Girlfriends etc, and a few random punters of the venue. The other band members were always people that I had jammed with on numerous occasions prior to the Student Gigs. The prospect of playing alongside some VERY talented people/strangers at the jam was a whole new ball game!!

When I saw that I would be playing on the second song of the day at the Quad Jam, my stomach did this weird empty feeling growly thing, and I felt instantly sick with nerves, which didn't really get any better the closer I got to the day. So my first song was 'Beat it' which I had practised quite a lot in the weeks prior to the jam. @bigjon asked me what I knew and we confirmed what I would be doing and we just got on with it. I took a deep breath as the song intro was played, and then just played what I knew as best as I could. It was over in a flash, and I didn't die!! I was probably a little too nervous to actually enjoy it at the time, but I can look back and be chuffed that I did it. There was a friendly applause at the end, and I definitely didn't notice any negativity towards the less experienced players at any point during the day. It was all very encouraging, and id have no hesitation in attending another jam day.

My second song was 'Anarchy in the UK'...

...and that's all im saying about that one ;)

Have fun chaps :)

**Signature space available for a reasonable fee. Enquire within**
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ellwoodellwood Frets: 1113
    I'm proper late to the party on this one....but would it be ok to come over and hang around? You probably have more than enough players but it would be great to meet a few people. Happy to bring a guitar or two if there is anything in the herd anyone wants to try.
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11746
    Nikko said:

My second song was 'Anarchy in the UK'...

...and that's all im saying about that one ;)

Have fun chaps :)

Did something go wrong there...?

I don't clearly recall, I guess as long as we didn't forget how it went half way through or anything like that! :lol:
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TADodgerTADodger Frets: 211
    I like the idea of the 'tuition' style as for me the idea is to learn and improve so working towards a better performance of each song makes sense. 

I guess we all bring something and I am equally happy a song to play in the practice room if someone wants to show the chords like we did in Leicester.
    Here's how it's supposed to be done.

This is just 5 guys with instruments.
    Enjoy, this is class...

• darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11746
    Alnico said:
    Here's how it's supposed to be done.

This is just 5 guys with instruments.
    Enjoy, this is class...

Never understood why people think that's a bad song.

Great movie as well.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    It's a fantastic song.

"Arm yourself because no one else here will save you.."

Sounds like our house!
    :)
    This reminds me...Be Yourself by Audioslave is a great track and could be one we could try in the practice room if there is enough interest?
  • aord43aord43 Frets: 287
    By the way...Leicester taught me that I need to get some earplugs for the next time.  I am going to order some now.
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    aord43 said:
    By the way...Leicester taught me that I need to get some earplugs for the next time.  I am going to order some now.
    Pardon?
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27435
    will send the special file to you later to your email. 

Draw the curtains first...
    @Bridgehouse ;

*is* there a track, or is this a jokey that flew well over my head??
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.