Northampton Jam Session - Sunday 3rd December - 1 to 5pm

What's Hot

Comments

• aord43 said:
    spark240 said:
    Anyone fancy doing an acoustic number....Del Amitri Nothing ever happens, Crowded house Weather with you, Travis Rain on me?....just a thought, 
    I'd play Why Does It Always Rain on Me? with you, give the acoustic amp bit of my Katana a try!
    I'd be happy to strum a bit to any of those.  At lease the first two.  Rain on me might be a bit more tricky.
    It does have a lot of chords in it, but can probably be simplified a bit for the second/third guitar.  I'd probably need to simplify it a bit to sing and play it!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • aord43 said:
    spark240 said:
    Anyone fancy doing an acoustic number....Del Amitri Nothing ever happens, Crowded house Weather with you, Travis Rain on me?....just a thought, 
    I'd play Why Does It Always Rain on Me? with you, give the acoustic amp bit of my Katana a try!
    I'd be happy to strum a bit to any of those.  At lease the first two.  Rain on me might be a bit more tricky.
    It does have a lot of chords in it, but can probably be simplified a bit for the second/third guitar.  I'd probably need to simplify it a bit to sing and play it!
    I'm going to have a practice at singing Rain On Me, know it roughly but never sang it properly
    Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.....

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • Im away for a few days, then I will post the whole thing with all the chords....its dead easy. 

Mac Mini i7, 2.3Ghz.
    Presonus Studio One Pro.
  • The Travis songs I've always wanted to play to people that mean something to me are "More Than Us" and "Flowers In The Window" - not really suggesting them for the jam, but they are my two favourites from the band.  "Re-Offender" is great as well, IMHO of course.
  • bigjonbigjon Frets: 573
    I've done a jam-specific version of my master setlist so it doesn't alter depending on my next gig, you can view it here - 

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1YFJ-oacjZM_hJLxz68Q52utfBWKeJES5whClrcSs2Nw/edit?usp=sharing

300 songs with the top 190 or so very easy to jam to (column J), arranged in order of popularity at my gigs (column K), and the next 70 possible to jam to with a bit of preparation, also arranged in order of popularity at gigs. Here's the top few to give you a flavour

TitleKeyStructureChord progression
    Uptown FunkDmAd libDm G
    Another BrickDmI VBC VBC SoloOnDm VBC VBC I (diff from orig)V: Dmx16 ... Br: Gx4 Dmx2 ... Ch: ||F C Dmx2 || x2
    SuperstitionE (orig Eb)I VC VC [ExtraSoloVs] VC OutroOnE (diff from orig)V: Ex16 ... Ch: |B C|B Bb|A B . Ex4
    Happy BirthdayEOnce through? or VV SoloVs VE B B E . E A B E
    Way You Make Me FeelFI VC VC SoloVC[s] CCV: Fx8 . Bbx3.5 Cx0.5 Fx4 . . . Ch: Fx8
    HaloC (orig Bb)Ad LibC Dm Am F
    Should I Stay Or Should I GoDVVC 4barsD[or SoloV(s)] VCCDx4 . Gx2 Dx2 . Ax2 Dx2 (12bar)
    Johnny B GoodeG (orig in Bb)I VC VC SoloVV VCC (or Ad Lib)Gx4 . Cx2 Gx2 . Dx2 G D (12bar but plays V chord 2 bars instead of V IV)
    Welcome To The JungleAI VC VC SoloVC VC SoloCs (not as orig)V: Ax4 Ex4 ... Ch: ||C D Emx2 ||x2 (not as orig)
    Get LuckyBmAd lib||Bm D F#m E || throughout (not as orig)
    Hard To HandleC (orig B)I VV SoloV (V) SoloVV: Cx8 Gx2 C! ... ||Bb F C || x4 (play link following v2 at 1:19 after every verse, not as orig)
    Mustang SallyCI V V V [SoloVs?] V (diff from orig)12bar in C
    SummertimeAmIntroV VV IntroV SoloV(s) VV IntroV (or ad lib)Amx4 . Dm F Ex2 ... Amx4 . C E Amx2
    Sweet Home AlabamaDVaries according to whimD C G G
    Aint No SunshineAmIntroV VV C V SoloVs V repeatLastLinex3Amx4 . Em Dm Amx2
    I Feel GoodDVV B V [Solos?] B VV repeatLastLine repeatLastLineAndExtendRiffAtEndV(12bar): Dx4 . Gx2 Dx2 . A G Dx2 .. Br: Dx4 . Gx2 Dx2 . Gx2 Ax2
    I Will SurviveAmslowV VCC SoloV VVCC Solos Cs adlib (not as orig)Am Dm G C . F Bm7b5 E4 E
    JambalayaC (orig G)I VC VC SoloCs C lastlinex3C G G C
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • Thanks @bigjon !
  • It's gone a bit quiet in here - is everyone still coming...?
  • I hope so - its still 2 months away so don't expect a lot of activity at the moment! Still haven't worked out what songs people want to play and who's Bassing, Drumming, Singing. Will post an updated status at the weekend.
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 6164
    Assuming I'm breathing properly/not dead, I'll be there. :-) 

I take it you'll want me to bring the Goldtop? ;-)

• impmann said:

Im sure you can wear what you like..

Mac Mini i7, 2.3Ghz.
    Presonus Studio One Pro.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 3714
    spark240 said:
    impmann said:

Im sure you can wear what you like..
    Brilliant.
    :)

Keep breathing Tim.

I've got COPD, it's emphysema.
    I also had CLD (google it) but for now that's dormant.
    It's fucking frightening.
    Good to hear you're beating it and you can even think of playing.

See you there Pal.
    I'll be there. Thanks chap!
  • Will be great to see all of you again, even better if it means you are all fit and healthy :)
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 12398
    impmann said:

It'd save me a trip over to your place to pick it up.
    ;)

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 10174
    TTony said:
    impmann said:

It'd save me a trip over to your place to pick it up.
    ;)

That's fighting talk, that is!!
    I'm in a mental health minefield right now, there's no mental space for practice yet.
    8 weeks to go, maybe things will change but if not I might be turning up all 'Ad Hock' and that might not be pretty.

You've been warned.
    ;)
    Alnico said:
    I'm in a mental health minefield right now, there's no mental space for practice yet.
    8 weeks to go, maybe things will change but if not I might be turning up all 'Ad Hock' and that might not be pretty.

You've been warned.
    ;)
    Don't worry man. It would just be good to see you there. :-)
  • impmann said:
    Alnico said:

You've been warned.
    ;)
    Don't worry man. It would just be good to see you there. :-)
    Seconded :)
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 757
    "Thats entertainment" anyone?

Mac Mini i7, 2.3Ghz.
    Presonus Studio One Pro.
  • HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 2386
    spark240 said:
    "Thats entertainment" anyone?

And "Butterfly Collector"?

HarrySeven - searching for sh*t guitars so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2

Update.....

Life is as close to normal as it's going to get so put me down as definitely going.
    I'll make a start into those 4 songs next week and see what else I can remember before December.

That place where all this comes from for me is like a platform I stand on to play and to whatever degree, it taps into my emotions. That platform has looked like a war zone for the last couple of months but now it's looking clearer and more like a stage again.

Looking forward to it now.

• markblagdonmarkblagdon Frets: 263
    edited October 2017

That's good to hear @alnico

Im a bit disappointed at the lack of input on what people want to play - Im happy to just meet up and jam, but my learning from the Leicester one was that it works better if people come prepared for a few songs and the others can help backing on them. Current list is:-

https://i.imgur.com/Cc6ckXN.jpg

So theres plenty of places for others to fill. Im not sure if @octatonic will be there to help out on drums as he's on a hiatus and I don't have any other contact detais for him.

So the challenge to the others is get me a list of the songs you want to play and we can start filling in the drums/bass/vocal slots.

• Just a quick reminder to @markblagdon, @bridgehouse, @Octatonic, @Flink_Poyd, @Alnico, @TTBZ, @mike_l
    @spark240, @strumjoughlamps, @Pablo, @aord43, @darthed1981, @TADodger, @impman, @adampeter, @thorpyfx

Let us know if you are still interested in the Jam on Dec 3rd, and what instruments you want to play on what songs.

Im planning 3 x 30 mins slots of proper songs mixed with 3x30 min sets of jam along songs. I will probably have to play drums (unless we have other volunteers) so will need some notice to get the songs structure learnt.

• TTonyTTony Frets: 12398

Im a bit disappointed at the lack of input on what people want to play

Looking at this thread quickly, it's not easy to see who's coming (maybe and committed) and what's being played (suggested and committed).

@BridgeHouse organised the Quad session really tightly and got people into the slots quickly so that there could be some pre-session practising.  And it worked well.  If there's a song suggested, but no-one wants to commit to playing it (which is what it looks like in the s/sheet) then perhaps it's not popular/attractive enough, so bin it and move on to something else.

@Flink_Poyd - can I commandeer your second post in this thread to maintain an updated list of who & what?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • Flink_PoydFlink_Poyd Frets: 2015
    @TTony commandeer away. 

Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.....

• Just a quick reminder to @markblagdon, @bridgehouse, @Octatonic, @Flink_Poyd, @Alnico, @TTBZ, @mike_l
    @spark240, @strumjoughlamps, @Pablo, @aord43, @darthed1981, @TADodger, @impman, @adampeter, @thorpyfx

Let us know if you are still interested in the Jam on Dec 3rd, and what instruments you want to play on what songs.

Im planning 3 x 30 mins slots of proper songs mixed with 3x30 min sets of jam along songs. I will probably have to play drums (unless we have other volunteers) so will need some notice to get the songs structure learnt.

@markblagdon ;

Still very interested and a definite unless life gets in the way! 

In terms of songs, I'm happy to play any bit of Champagne Supernova, and the jam songs look fun, though I'm no Hendrix so some of those might be rather beyond me.

In terms of songs, I'll happily join in on Sunshine apart from the two I'm down for anyway.  I'm hesitant to suggest any more songs myself until some of the others have been dropped or filled up.  

With @octatonic potentially not available maybe we need some more strummy acoustic songs, or tunes where we can get by without a drummer, give you a bit of a break?

You are right time is getting along - I was sort of waiting for the videos to see where I did OK and where not from Leicester, but I'd assume with @digitalscream having a hiatus we won't get them for a bit.

Hopefully see everyone back on here soon.  My "jacking it in" thread proved to me what a great community this is.
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 757
    I’m still in ....

Mac Mini i7, 2.3Ghz.
    Presonus Studio One Pro.
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 10174
    Yes, I'll be there.

Now. A song list? I reckon me and @Alnico could kickstart that.

I need to do it for the Northern Jam soon anyway ;)
    Yes, I'll be there.

Now. A song list? I reckon me and @Alnico could kickstart that.

I need to do it for the Northern Jam soon anyway ;)
    I'm in,

• Yes, I'm very much still in. I've been contemplating, if not adequately practicing,  Ever fallen in love and Basket case, for the 'proper' songs.

But, can i suggest that some of us non gigging people might like a pre 'proper' song session to rehearse with the more experienced in the group to actually learn something, or, possibly a rehearsed group song at some point in the day perhaps..