This Makes Me Want To Play The Banjo

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• He's playing it more like a funky bass guitar, it's pretty cool but I would have liked the song better if the singer wasn't doing her "parrot whoop" thing at the end of every line.  I do like her voice.    I remember when the first wave of six string banjos tuned like a guitar hit the market(or at least when they came to my part of the world).  Every guitarist that played one sounded like a guitarist playing the cheapest pressboard solid body electric you could find.  I I came to the conclusion that if you want to sound like a banjo player, learn to play a real banjo, tuning difference and all(something I'm still not prepared to do...).

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6598
    Check out the wonderful Rhiannon Giddens... fretless banjo. 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • merlin said:

That's impressive, I've never heard of a fretless banjo before.  This woman is a force of nature, her voice, poise and skill with both the instrument and her voice gave me the chills.

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

• merlin said:

That's impressive, I've never heard of a fretless banjo before.  This woman is a force of nature, her voice, poise and skill with both the instrument and her voice gave me the chills.
    Couldn't agree more - that for me is just a sound that works. Full of atmosphere and space. I really like it.
  • I  love that we live in a world where people do things that make absolutely no sense to me  =) And I don't just mean the Rhiannon Giddens video coming out of only the left speaker!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30273
    Preaching to the choir here.
    I've got far more banjos than guitars. Love 'em.
  • BGGBGG Frets: 688
    I still love this old clip ... http://https//www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5vfw5f1CZo
    #thebatesmotelband
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6598
    edited September 2017

• RockerRocker Frets: 4947
    Rocker said:
    Rocker said:
    A Stanley knife is the best way to play a banjo. Followed by a perfect pitch into a skip...
    Thanks for that.

I sat beside a banjo player playing trad Irish music.  I can still hear it forty years later.  Horrible sound.
    I don't know, first banjo's now trad Irish music... do you like anything?

I love trad Irish, it is the sound of a banjo playing that grates. Noise is too weak a word to describe the sound of a banjo..
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• Rocker said:
    Rocker said:
    Rocker said:
    A Stanley knife is the best way to play a banjo. Followed by a perfect pitch into a skip...
    Thanks for that.

I sat beside a banjo player playing trad Irish music.  I can still hear it forty years later.  Horrible sound.
    I don't know, first banjo's now trad Irish music... do you like anything?

I love trad Irish, it is the sound of a banjo playing that grates. Noise is too weak a word to describe the sound of a banjo..
    Ha ha - its a shame your so ready to dismiss anything associated with banjo when banjo players around the world speak so highly of your playing.

Ironically they were happy to describe your endless ranting as weak noise.  
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • So I'm on my way home from seeing then.  Awesome. Best gig ive been to of the year. Small bar. Great sound. Packed. Highly recommended.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Glad to hear it.  My  "boss" at the music school where I teach is trying to get me to learn banjo so I can teach it.  Apparently  we're getting more calls for banjo these days.   As much as I like "some" banjo music, it's not in my dna to learn it.

• mgawmgaw Frets: 5239
    love the sound of Romero banjo as played by Martin Simpson...i owned and incredibly was stupid enough to sell it.