Need a block of wood in the neck pocket...

What's Hot
So, I picked up an all-aluminium guitar, more as a work of art than a real instrument.

The neck is held on with bolts, but the heel is at a slight angle, so it soesn't sit quite right; also the headstock is thin and so the tuner posts stand a bit tall.

I've decided I'd like to try out a wooden neck on it and I've got a cheap one I don't mind drilling into (the two body-end screw holes are in a different place to a standard Fender/etc.

I could build it up by stacking washers, but that would be a bit naff. I could try making a bespoke aluminium gasket/sub-frame to fit, but I'm no metal worker.

I'm no wood-worker either, but I reckon I could manage hacking a block of wood to fit. Where might I get a block of wood from though - maybe maple like the neck - any pointers?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WezVWezV Frets: 16665
    How big a block do you need?
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4916
    WezV said:
    How big a block do you need?
    Just the size of a neck pocket and maybe 0.5 cm thick.
    The neck pocket is a bit uneven and drops away a bit on one side.
    I'm sure it could have been made to the right size, but ho-hum...
  • You can buy a random bit of maple on ebay and cut it to size but to do this right it will require very careful cutting and planing ( or sanding but you'll be there a while ), any slightly wrong angle will throw the action completely off.
  • RavenousRavenous Frets: 1484
    edited September 2017

Could get a 2 inch or three inch sycamore "spindle blank" from Stiles & Bates perhaps?

https://www.stilesandbates.co.uk/browse.php/section/58/level/2

edit: these are much bigger than you need. Could browse around for some smaller bowl blanks though and cut one of those down. Also check the postage before ordering just one piece :)

• RavenousRavenous Frets: 1484
    edited September 2017

I think Stew Mac do (or used to do) neck pocket shims, just flat bits of wood. These might be drilled for Fender pattern holes though, but you might be able to find a UK supplier...

Another possibility is you could look around and see if you can find some modeller's plywood. A thin sheet and build it up in sections.  (No idea if this is soft enough to affect the sound though.)

By the way stacking up washers as you mentioned might lead to dents in the neck or the aluminium, so you're right that's a bit messy.

• Alternatively you could just buy some decent quality pine ( make sure it's hard, straight and has no knots or weird grain in the way ) from most DIY stores and use that.
    I recently made a small neck shim using pine and it worked very nicely, I really doubt anyone would hear a supposed sound difference that you might get from a using one wood or another for the shim.
  • I've got a block of maple I can cut you a slice off and pop it in a jiffy bag to you.  PM me the dimensions you are after (max width, length and thickness) and your address and I'll have it in the post tomorrow morning.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I've got a block of maple I can cut you a slice off and pop it in a jiffy bag to you.  PM me the dimensions you are after (max width, length and thickness) and your address and I'll have it in the post tomorrow morning.
    Fantastic - thanks very much!
    I'll get my tape measure out later on...
  • "Need to get wood in my pocket"

Missed opportunity for an amusing / clickbait thread title there.
    Trading feedback | FS: Nothing right now
    JM build | Pedalboard plans
    "Need to get wood in my pocket"

Yes, I did consider other wordings... :)
  • Two pieces (an extra one for good luck...) will be on their way to you first thing in the morning :)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    What a gent!
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054
    edited September 2017
    Just a thought @prowla Would it ge easier to try to flatten the neck pocket with a nice sharp chisel to square it up, then make a simpler flat shim to make up the difference rather than trying to make an odd tapered one?
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• Personally, and until I have more confidence in my skills, I would go for the tapered shim too - at least if I screw it up I can make another one, not so much if I screw up the neck pocket.
    paulnb57 said:
    Just a thought @prowla Would it ge easier to try to flatten the neck pocket with a nice sharp chisel to square it up, then make a simpler flat shim to make up the difference rather than trying to make an odd tapered one?
    It's aluminium!
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054
    prowla said
    It's aluminium!
    Ah!.......
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• aord43aord43 Frets: 287
    prowla said:
    "Need to get wood in my pocket"

Yes, I did consider other wordings... :)
    No he's just pleased to see you!