Rolling Stones last night

stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26960
Hadn't seen them before, and they're getting on a bit, so I thought I should finally go to their show when it came to Abu Dhabi. They were excellent. It's obvious that Keef's arthritis means it's harder to play the twiddly bits but he's just about getting away with it for now at least. 

Most importantly the guitars on show were awesome. Telecasters everywhere, LP Jrs and Specials, but the best sounding guitars by far were Ron's LP (probably an R9 rather than an old one), bizarrely enough an ESP (I think!) double-humbucker Tele with B-bender and Keef's black ES-355. I'm not a big fan of RW's playing usually, but his solo at the end of You Can't Always Get What You Want was absolutely fantastic- up there with the best Les Paul sounds I've heard. 

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Great stuff. Good to hear they can still put on a good show, but I do wonder how long they can keep going.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9662
    edited February 2014
    I recently watched their latest Hyde Park concert on DVD. I know what you mean about Keef - definitely more economical with his playing these days. I've always been a fan of Ronnie Wood's playing - he's always sympathetic to the song rather than being particularly showy (same goes for Keef, but not in quite the same way). And of course they've created lots of memorable and instantly recognisable songs, and are great entertainers.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13568
    edited February 2014
    one of the few bands where going to see them and listening to their albums  are equally rewarding.

Saw them at Wembly 1990,  when they were still 'active'   :D    -    were "lucky" enough to be in the middle, about 10 back from the front - outstanding show, you couldnt help but get caught up in it.
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • bertie said:

Saw them at Wembly 1990,  
    Me too. Not a bad show - but I remember how it all went flat on songs when Jagger wasn't singing.
  • I went to Hyde Park, great show.
  • I was at Wembley in 1990 too. I thought they rocked for a bunch of old guys but they were around the same age then that I am now! I went on the day that there was an England football match on and there was a huge cheer when we scored. I think we lost in the end. It is interesting that Ronnie Wood was the sloppy player in those days but now he holds it all together much more.
    Link to my trading feedback
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13568
    edited February 2014
    I was at Wembley in 1990 too. I thought they rocked for a bunch of old guys but they were around the same age then that I am now! I went on the day that there was an England football match on and there was a huge cheer when we scored. I think we lost in the end. 
    thats the one, v Germany  - we lost on penalties, for a change

Gun were the support band,  late coming on, and were IMHO, rubbish
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9662
    It is interesting that Ronnie Wood was the sloppy player in those days but now he holds it all together much more.
    I nearly mentioned that in my earlier post. There have always been moments listening to Ronnie Wood when it all sounds like it's going to fall apart in a very bad way but somehow it never does. I suspect he's actually much more in control than he sounds.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • NPPNPP Frets: 236
    Wood was a very tight rhythm player with Rod Stewart, there are some good live clips on Youtube (as you all will know), he can really get your foot stomping and other bits swaying