Negative equity Helix ?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• siremoonsiremoon Frets: 1524
    edited September 2017
    I've had mine 18 months and I've saved about £500 in pain killers as a result of not hurting my back from loading amps and cabs in and out of venues and practice rooms ;) .
    “He is like a man with a fork in a world of soup.” - Noel Gallagher
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I've seen examples of it going up in price to £1440. I'm not sure what will happen with it. It might be that they find a way to make it exactly the same but the parts become cheaper....who knows.

Then again at the moment if you look they are a bargain.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 1993
    siraxeman said:
    I'm thinking more in terms of the new price is falling. The market will reach saturation and to keep flogging them they will have to drop the price. They were over £1200 not long ago...perhaps all this EU thing affecting the £ had some bearing but I'd guess now their new price is starting to fall despite that? Methinks 12 months from now they might be under £900..we'll see!

If the market does saturate and second hand prices go down I still wouldn't feel like I'd lost out. more likely I'd get another.

The money I've saved on GASing purchases is already bordering on embarrassing,

whilst I'm currently using the rack (in a 5u with power amp and a couple of pedals) & floor board (with an expression pedal on an old hardcase board) ... The idea of having a single floor unit for times when I know I'll just be plugging into PA, and not a real cab; sounds very tempting for travelling lighter. 

• I wonder if a helix will become the new norm in a couple of years, rather than the Peavey bandits, hot rod deluxes, blues juniors and Marshall dsl's of the world most people will rock up to jam nights with a USB stick of presets. 
  • Nah it's too expensive for that.

There will still be a market for cheap simple amps because that's all a lot of people will ever need.  Digital will probably become the norm for recording (it kind of already is in some circles) and for live with acts that use bigger PA systems and benefit from lower stage volume (again, kind of already is with many acts, especially those that tour internationally)
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    What will happen in 10 years when the AxeFX 12 and Helix 8 comes out is people will talk about how it still doesn't sound like a Vintage Helix and the prices of the old ones will skyrocket
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BeexterBeexter Frets: 598
    John_A said:
    What will happen in 10 years when the AxeFX 12 and Helix 8 comes out is people will talk about how it still doesn't sound like a Vintage Helix and the prices of the old ones will skyrocket
    Not sure about prices skyrocketing but if it sounds good to you today, it should still sound good in 10 years - there's still quite a lot of fondness for the old POD2 but values aren't exactly strong.
  • ^^Even my old Boss GT-5 sounds good today. Just recorded an instrumental tune on my Zoom R24 using the G2 sounds direct from inside the recorder. And that also sounds great. I wouldn't use its amp modelling live though. :)

• John_A said:
    This in exactly the same way IT departments get dewy eyed about Windows Vista. 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
  • So, siraxeman...have you got your negative equity helix yet?
  • No....pre order meant there was going to be a slight delay. I'll be on their back soon though...its been a week now I think.
  • You've probably already lost money on it and you haven't even got it yet!

Fortunately mine is index linked. :)
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4978
    The prices of all electronic gadgets goes down rapidly once a market for the product has been established and mass production of the product has been setup.

As an example, we bought a Sony flat screen TV nine or ten years ago, cost around €1500.  The replacement cost about a quarter of that figure.  We never looked on the Sony as being in negative equity even though a replacement at any time since its purchase would be less than we paid for it.  Products only hit rock bottom price wise immediately before they are to be deemed obsolete and a new model is released.  And the whole cycle starts all over again.

The OP bought the Helix to play through it.  So play through it and forget about the price and ignore too the replacement price which will be lower than he paid.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• i think all gear should come with a disclaimer " the value of your equipment can go up as well as down, usually down"
  • Looks like the deal I got at Richtone was at the right time.......website is showing £1570 now! :o Cheapest a quick search yields PMT @ £1063.....every other bugger seems £1199 and upwards!