Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Peeve of the day

What's Hot
ricorico Frets: 1220
Browsing evilbay for a black LP Standard and the amount of adverts stating that a 90's guitar is 'vintage' - really? 

Made me more pissed off than it should.
2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Even the 90's Korean Epiphones are getting talked up.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12645
    rico said:
    Browsing evilbay for a black LP Standard and the amount of adverts stating that a 90's guitar is 'vintage' - really? 

According to the antique definition, a vintage item has to be at least 20 years old... and to be honest, most of the 90s were more than 20 years ago!
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • impmann said:
    According to the antique definition, a vintage item has to be at least 20 years old... and to be honest, most of the 90s were more than 20 years ago!
    1998s are likely to be the next 'big thing' - best to get one now, while they're still cheap....
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30273
    If that's vintage, I must be prehistoric.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • We're closer to 2040 than 1990...I'm not sure that describing a guitar from the 90s as vintage is inaccurate! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • 'Vintage' means something which is at least 20 years old so yeah, most 90s stuff is vintage like it or not
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14032
    tFB Trader
    impmann said:
    rico said:

I've heard that it is 20 or 30 years old - either way I don't see how anything that is effectively a 'regular' guitar, can on its 20th, or 30th birthday, can suddenly become 'vintage' - In my eyes it is not a true reflection of a vintage guitar - I'm not sure how exactly you determine what is the true definition of vintage as a few factors come into play - But age alone does not mean vintage in my eyes

You can't just label vintage as rare - or indeed collectible - yet these factors come into play - It is linked to an era both regarding archive and ownership at the time - it is linked to desirable - Certainly with guitars it is linked to a history of use by artists on certain recordings and live performances - I dare say someone with a better use of words might be able to define it far better than I can - But I can certainly state that age alone is not vintage - 100% fact
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • I suppose vintage is in the eyes of the beholder.To old timers like me or as they call us now "Baby Boomers" the 90's seem like last year. 
      I don't think we ever thought of "Vintage gear" .It was just considered old,out of fashion and normally knackered!Perhaps some more learned members like  Guitars4you can correct me if I am wrong.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • AlexCAlexC Frets: 2396
    May I suggest that the term 'vintage' is often used to describe all sorts of goods in order to ramp the price up.
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10357
    In the mid eighties we lusted after early sixties Strats and they were only 20 years old at the time but still fetched a fortune. I have an 83 Tokia and an 85 Ibanez I consider vintage but I think technically vintage means from a particular era rather than simply more than 20 years old as the term is derived from the wine world .... an early  sixties Strat is a good era 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    Lozboy said:
    I suppose vintage is in the eyes of the beholder.To old timers like me or as they call us now "Baby Boomers" the 90's seem like last year. 
      I don't think we ever thought of "Vintage gear" .It was just considered old,out of fashion and normally knackered!Perhaps some more learned members like  Guitars4you can correct me if I am wrong.
    don't know about correcting - but in 1963, a 1959 LP was not vintage, nor desirable and only acquired a certain value - Clapton and the Beano album certainly created a new demand for such a guitar - If I stick to the 59 LP on its own for now, then a demand started to set in for 50's LP as the 60's progressed - remember that until the late 60's came into play you could not buy a new LP - Then when more new LP's became available in the early 70's, players started to pick up on this 'old is better than new' tag and started hunting down late 50's pieces in reference to new LP's - Dealers would pick up on this and then sometime in the mid late 70's the term 'vintage guitar' came into play - Obviously a marketing term created by certain dealers who had picked up on this trend - I was aware as an 18 year old in 1978 that there was a market, term and tag called vintage, yet at this stage a 59 LP was only 19 years old

Today the term Vintage can mean so many things - It is not just about the finer qualities that a 59 LP can offer, as a 'budget' guitar from the Sears catalogue like Silvertone and Dan Electro are now both desirable, fairly rare and collectible - certainly vintage when talking about an era - But not particularly great guitars with regard to build quality and playing performance, yet equally weird and wonderful and right up @HarrySeven 's street

I'm not sure I can define vintage in an easy term, phrase or sentence - I can certainly state that 20 or 30 years alone doesn't make it vintage IMO, yet certain guitars from this 'non vintage era' are still collectible and desirable and represent many qualities that suit today's players  - I think I can help to define what isn't vintage
    tFB Trader
    AlexC said:
    May I suggest that the term 'vintage' is often used to describe all sorts of goods in order to ramp the price up.
    but there still has to be a demand in order for the goods to sell at this 'inflated price', no matter what that price is - I might not agree that a 58 Strat is worth 20/30/40K and I'm not wanting to be part of that market, yet if buyers want to pay that, then that alone will continue to create rising prices - as soon as that demand disappears then prices fall - equally I don't think vintage alone equates to quality regarding playing performance, tonal character or build quality but there is some magical mojo in many vintage guitars for some reason or another
  • Jack_Jack_ Frets: 3175
    edited September 2017
    I've got condoms in my wallet older than some of these so called vintage guitars.

Does anyone want some vintage rubber? They don't make 'em like they used to.
    tFB Trader
    Jack_ said:
    I've got condoms in my wallet older than some of these so called vintage guitars.

more info required - are they clean, used, original - any comments on wear and tear - any known history - original packaging etc
  • Jack_ said:

more info required - are they clean, used, original - any comments on wear and tear - any known history - original packaging etc
    If they are relic then I'm out...
  • RavenousRavenous Frets: 1484
    Jack_ said:

<studiously avoiding the term "Wang Bar">
  • Jack_Jack_ Frets: 3175
    Jack_ said:

The only pictures I have are of me using them live, will they suffice?
    tFB Trader
    Jack_ said:

seriously going off tangent here, but with you mentioning relic are we talking masterbuilt or master ?
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30273
    I suppose in this case vintage is technically accurate whereas if the term classic is used for a 90s guitar of which there are millions then that would annoy me.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22516

To me "vintage" still means 1950s and 1960s and (according to received wisdom) any guitar made in the 1970s is shit.

And I'd have said exactly the same in 1983.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom