Do all Vibe pedals add loads of treble?

shaunmshaunm Frets: 1596
I recently got a Deja Vibe pedal and I do love the sound of them I am surprised by the amount of top end it adds in. 

I have mine after my Fuzz and Wah but before my OD pedals. I find that if I put it first it seems to lose the effect somewhat. If I put it after all OD's it adds way too much top end. 

Is this normal? How do you set yours?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• OctafishOctafish Frets: 1937
    Depends on the pedal in my experience. I've found the TC Electronics Viscous Vibe to be quite bright/toppy whereas I found the Digitech Ventura Vibe to be almost too dark, even with with tone up max. My current favourite is the Mojohand Villanova Vibe and this has a tone control which can add/remove quite a bit of top end, very handy. I've not tried/owned a Deja Vibe, but I have heard some complain it's a bit bright/thin sounding.

I prefer vibes before any dirt/drive/fuzz, find they sound too toppy/grainy if after. This can be a bit of an issue with germanium fuzzes as they sound best first in line
  • Voodoo Vibe didn't. 
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1373
    shaunm said:
    I have mine after my Fuzz and Wah but before my OD pedals. I find that if I put it first it seems to lose the effect somewhat. If I put it after all OD's it adds way too much top end. 

Is this normal? How do you set yours?
    Put it first, before everything. An OD/dirty amp can warm it up a bit. Don't use it with wah coz it sounds silly and OTT.

Vibe > fuzz > wah > OD
  • JDEJDE Frets: 1092
    Yeah, I treat them like a phaser, which has a Sweep like a wah, so I stick them first. I find any phasers/vibes/Wahs almost unusable after any gain, personally. 
  • shaunmshaunm Frets: 1596
    Superb shout guys. I've just changed it over so it's first before the wah and it's just miles better in that position.
  • OctafishOctafish Frets: 1937
    Yeah the earlier in the order the better in my experience. Mine goes after my Ge Fuzz and EHX Pitchfork, which is also my buffer, but before the OD, Si fuzz, trem, delay, reverb
  • shaunmshaunm Frets: 1596
    @Octafish it was good advice. I put it right at the front and as a result I get much more of the effect and less of the treble. 

I watched a video or two on it after and it seems that's what Trower does too. Hasn't worked out too badly for him I guess.
  • Ro_SRo_S Frets: 929
    edited September 2017
    Octafish said
    I've found the TC Electronics Viscous Vibe to be quite bright/toppy whereas I found the Digitech Ventura Vibe to be almost too dark, even with with tone up max
    but they're both digital,  so in the context of the topic I don't see how they're a relevant comparator.

i infer the OP to be enquiring about a proper univibe type pedal with the same type of tech as his. (bulbs etc)
    over 20 effects pedals FOR SALE, click here to see my classifieds thread.   My trading feedback

Effects for Me & my Monkey    
    YouTube channel     Facebook         Fretboard's "resident pedal supremo" - mgaw

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33783
    antifash said:
    Voodoo Vibe didn't. 
    Voodoo Labs Microvibe takes loads of it off.
  • markr76markr76 Frets: 360
    I have the Deja vibe but the custom shop version. I have it after all of my drive pedals and it works well. I run it into a badcat hotcat, which is quite a dark amp. So maybe that's why it sounds so good. 
    I did try it at the front of the pedal chain also. But it messed with my fuzz pedal a little. I think the cs Deja vibe us true bypass but a buffer is switched on when the pedal is active.
    I have a mojo hand fx Villanova vibe also. That has more scope for tailoring the sound with the tone contol. But i prefer the more authentic sound of the deja. Hence the villanova for sale on ebay ay the minute.
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7332
    is why the best sounds are usually the Vibe with Fuzz / Distorion

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

I think it does add some top end in though. It’s less noticeable with an amp that is overdriving (not pedal driven)