Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Talk me out of buying a firebird

What's Hot

Comments

• Actually, man up and get a Thunderbird.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Borrow one get the cool picture of you playing it and give the bloody thing back. They are only cool to pose with
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    Do it. Do it now.
    Sell a kidney if necessary. Not yours obviously, that'd hurt. 

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    It's a Gibson and a Firebird.
    2 reasons not to get one.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • If you play small pub stages, no. If you want to look awesome in any space, yes. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • adamm82adamm82 Frets: 448
    WezV said:
    adamm82 said:
    CHRISB50 said:
    I really want a Firebird, but I'm left handed so can't get one. 

Get one! Get one now! 
    What if you buy a reverse firebird and turn it upside down would that work?
    No, he would need a right handed non-reverse ;)
    :+1: I am glad I don't have this problem I would think I would have it all sussed out. only to end up with the strings facing my body.
  • adamm82adamm82 Frets: 448
    adamm82 said:

grungebob said:
    i don't need another guitar, I've just moved house. Yet after listening to some demos and having a go on a friend of a friends firebird the other day I can't help but want one. 
    Now I did use to gig a firebird late 90's so I'm not a stranger to them, but I am only 5'9" so look a bit daft with one. 
    I turn 40 in january and keep thinking this is my chance to buy a really good grown up guitar that will last me.... yet I still want a damn firebird! 
    Go on tell me their shit. 
    Get the new slash signature firebird.

Those look horrible.. 
    Slash is very famous for playing a firebird. well since about a month ago after doing the deal with Gibson. 
  • grungebob said:
    I am only 5'9" so look a bit daft with one. 
    Polly Harvey is 5'4" and looks fine with a Firebird V.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4723
    edited September 2017
    grungebob said:
    I am only 5'9" so look a bit daft with one. 
    Polly Harvey is 5'4" and looks fine with a Firebird V.
    It's not quite what you think.  Polly Harvey loved the look of the Firebird but struggled with its size and weight so she spoke with Gibson who made her two custom versions that were 7/8 size.  If you look carefully at the pictures and compare it to a full-size Firebird you'll see that some of the spacings around the pickups and controls are slightly different.  
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • AlexCAlexC Frets: 2396
    Get a car sticker that says: My Other Guitar Is A Firebird. Cheaper than actually buying one. Job done.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8823
    tFB Trader
    I wanted one after seeing Gem Archer playing them with Oasis. Then I got the chance to play one a friend had bought...

I couldn't reach the first fret wanting to fall over. Needless to say, they're not for me unfortunately :(
  • I've always wanted one. And being 5'6 and seeing the op still think they are to short for one... It's very upsetting! 
  • PVO_DavePVO_Dave Frets: 2375
    Sort of awkward to play and the stock pickups are awful, kept mine for less than 6 months. 
  • RavenousRavenous Frets: 1484
    grungebob said:
    ...but I am only 5'9" so look a bit daft with one. 

And if anyone says you look daft, you have the perfect bit of wood close by to correct them :)

You've already had one, you know what they're like, so why the hell not?

• ha ha thanks guys, certainly some polarising opinions out there.

My avatar pic is actually of me back in the day as it where with my firebird. I did gig it for 3 years and it never let me down. Well a tuner bushing broke and I snapped a bit off the nut but other than that it was just fine.  I used flatwound strings tuned to D with a bucket load of fuzz, happy days.

part of me thinks its nostalgia me wanting another but I do remember being happy with that guitar for ages and ages until money and the internet convinced me there where better instruments out there.

like I said I turn 40 soon and have permission from Mrs bob to buy a relatively expensive guitar for it but I cant decide what to do. I keep thinking i should buy a proper grown up guitar like a strat or something but to be honest I cant tell the difference between a MIM and CS variety when I play them.  
    I currently have 2 PRS S2 guitars a Standard 24 and a Vela.  The 24 covers most of my heavier needs and the Vela does some chime but I've been thinking lately of letting it go and getting either mini hums or P90's, it does play very well though.

first world problems eh
  • kjdowdkjdowd Frets: 852
    Had one. Traded it. Shouldn't have. Buy one. 
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    If it's any help in your avatar the guitar looks like it fits you just fine, which is often not the case with a firebird
  • I had one, I had Klein firebird pickups put in (instead of the awful IMHO hot ceramics Gibson put in) and it sounded sublime, It didn't sustain quite as much as I thought it would, I half regret selling it... the shape didn't bother me at all. I'd have another if it was a good one, but would probably put Kleins in again, they really sounded incredible. I do, however, like the look of the 2018's with P90's... I had sold a Tele, and the firebird at around the same time, I missed the Tele more..
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6059
    adamm82 said:
    adamm82 said:

grungebob said:
    i don't need another guitar, I've just moved house. Yet after listening to some demos and having a go on a friend of a friends firebird the other day I can't help but want one. 
    Now I did use to gig a firebird late 90's so I'm not a stranger to them, but I am only 5'9" so look a bit daft with one. 
    I turn 40 in january and keep thinking this is my chance to buy a really good grown up guitar that will last me.... yet I still want a damn firebird! 
    Go on tell me their shit. 
    Get the new slash signature firebird.

Those look horrible.. 
    Slash is very famous for playing a firebird. well since about a month ago after doing the deal with Gibson. 
    Must have seen him coming. Those both look cheap and horrible.
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10343
    tFB Trader
    PVO_Dave said:
    Sort of awkward to play and the stock pickups are awful, kept mine for less than 6 months. 
    The stock modern pickups are awful ... largely because Gibson refuses to reproduce the correct 1960s design and output ones!
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message