Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

backup amp? yes/no

What's Hot
nickpnickp Frets: 183
we gig - maybe 18 times a year.

use a engl screamer but am shifting to a blackstar head and cab.

would you keep the engl screamer combo as a reserve amp or flog it?

flog it is good as will aid GAS (more guitars!)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72256
    edited September 2017
    What model of Blackstar?

If it's an ID series, no need to bother. If it's a valve one, keep the Engl unless you're confident about changing valves and fuses at a gig. Or replace it with a cheaper head, preferably solid-state... in fact an ID60 would probably be ideal. Or just get some sort of DI-able solution.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Backup amp - yes - what can go wrong will! I'd probably get something DI or board mounted rather than lugging the Engl :)
  • paulphoenixpaulphoenix Frets: 141
    edited September 2017
    Back up for your amp at gigs = absolutely always yes.

But, your back up option doesn't necessarily have to be another amp. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12663
    Rather than lunk another amp to gigs, I always took something that would allow me to DI the pedalboard if the amp went down. Initially I took a Line6 Pod but until recently I was using the H&K Redbox. I now have a Sansamp FlyRig5 - and in fact, for a couple of small gigs I didn't bother setting the amp up!
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10398
    These days with PA's and a mic you can get away with using some pretty small stuff. I use this little Fender Champion 110 for backup but also for a lot of gigs in it's own right. Here it is on the stage at Portsmouth Guildhall ...... looks stupidly small but it's fine once mic'ed up

www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11446
    If you have a PA you can get one of the Joyo/Harley Benton knockoffs of the Sansamp pedals second hand for around £20.  Plugging that in will be good enough to get your through a gig without having to lug a second amp.
  • nickpnickp Frets: 183
    ICBM said:
    What model of Blackstar?

If it's an ID series, no need to bother. If it's a valve one, keep the Engl unless you're confident about changing valves and fuses at a gig. Or replace it with a cheaper head, preferably solid-state... in fact an ID60 would probably be ideal. Or just get some sort of DI-able solution.
    its a series one 100w head 6l6.

me - electrics - nah
    Danny1969 said:
    These days with PA's and a mic you can get away with using some pretty small stuff. I use this little Fender Champion 110 for backup but also for a lot of gigs in it's own right. Here it is on the stage at Portsmouth Guildhall ...... looks stupidly small but it's fine once mic'ed up

that's tiny :)  we only mike up the vocal although I guess I could DI :)
    edited September 2017
    actually I've got one of those marshall avt 50w combo things in the garage for my son - maybe that will do run clean with a pedal in front to get through a gig - i've got a thorpy gunshot and also an ocd which make nice noises so maybe i'll try that out

and an id core 20 practice amp  which maybe if miked up would give me something - esp as we have two guitarists so it's not like my sound has to be perfecto :)  I'll have a fiddle

• I had so many blackstar S1s fail on me while I was still a guitar tech for bands, to the point where I'd actually turn down work if they had blackstar backline.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    timmysoft said:
    I had so many blackstar S1s fail on me while I was still a guitar tech for bands, to the point where I'd actually turn down work if they had blackstar backline.
    don't say that :( . boo hoo etc
    ICBM said:
    What model of Blackstar?

so is it easy to change fuses and valves - if so I'll get some spares (s) as long as I now how to find out what's ferked

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6386
    edited September 2017
    nickp said:
    ICBM said:
    What model of Blackstar?

so is it easy to change fuses and valves - if so I'll get some spares (s) as long as I now how to find out what's ferked

While the mob is baying and the drummer practicing paradiddles at full volume next to your ear ....... (as they do ....)

Get a spare or a DI box ...
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10398
    nickp said:
    timmysoft said:
    I had so many blackstar S1s fail on me while I was still a guitar tech for bands, to the point where I'd actually turn down work if they had blackstar backline.
    don't say that :( . boo hoo etc
    Take it on a model specific basis, some Blackstars are incredibly reliable, my 2 HT5's have done hundreds of gigs with no probs at all except half a  heater failing in a valve .... which is still broke but who needs a whole heater :)

With amps it's a good idea to be model specific rather than just tarnish every amp a manufacturer built on the reliability of another ..... unless it's Ashdown of course :)

www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • A backup something definitely although not necessarily an amp, some kind of pedal / preamp with emulated out that you can put into the PA and can stay in your bag or box is a good one. A 'lunchbox' head like the Tiny Terror is a good one too and be hooked up to speakers in a combo. Also it gives you a good reason to own two flavours of amp. :-)
    This is the truth from hillbilly guitars!
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2894
    edited September 2017
    I've never gigged with a backup or even spare fuses or valves - maybe foolish but I didn't have one issue in 4-5 years of cover gigs most weekends. I'll probably start taking something I can DI from the pedalboard in the future though - originals sets are much shorter so less time to faff with trying to fix an amp! The mooer jcm900 one will probably do the job for me.
  • vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3671
    edited September 2017
    I have a Zoom G3 which, when DI'd into the PA will get me through  a gig perfectly well, as long as I take care to set the  patches up properly. I tested it out for half a set at the last gig and  no-one in the audience even noticed I'd changed my gear out during the interval.
    edited September 2017
    or maybe one of those old boss ME pdeals - nice n simple? - whatever it is it has to be nice n cheap so there are more GAS funds available :)
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72256
    nickp said:

You need to remove the back panel of the amp, pull the power valves (it's almost always a power valve that dies), fit new ones, and change whatever fuse has blown - usually the HT. If you're not confident about it I would allow 5 mins. If it's a preamp valve it might take a bit longer since you really need to replace one at a time, unless you want to carry a full set. They don't blow fuses though.

If you don't normally mic up and would prefer a backup to use with your cab, an ID100 head would probably be a good match for the S1. You can pick them up for £250-£300 second hand quite easily.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• I take an overdrive pedal with me to gigs in case my main amp goes down, usually we know one of the other bands on the bill and they'd understand if something went down and we'd have to borrow an amp. I can easily get through the show with it.
    But ideally I would like to take a second amp there so I have all angles covered, or some kind of DI modeller thing.