Best modern strat saddles?

What's Hot
As title.  I have 6 callaham saddles, but I know that vintage style ones with the screws pointing out are going to draw blood...

So I'll likely sell the callaham ones on, they're great looking but I just know they're going to slaughter my palm.  

As it's going to be my 'ultimate' guitar, I am totally game for paying a bit of a premium for the best, but only if it's worth it.  Key points - must be well made to help stop the strings catching for tuning stability, and no sharp edges.  I play pretty hard.  
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72250
    Just set the guitar up with the screws not sticking out. The correct setup on a Strat is almost always like that anyway.

If absolutely necessary - it may be on the A and B saddles, even when the others are set right - you can file off a small amount from the bottom of the screws so the top becomes flush with the saddle.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • @ICBM thanks.  I'll give them a go then, see how they are.  

If they don't work out, do modern saddles offer anything vintage style don't, or vice versa?  A couple of the screws that came with the saddles are fairly long... Presumably for the A and D strings which are the highest?

It's only got a 12" radius though, so not exactly the 7.25" they were really made for...
  • Just buy some proper grub screws of the correct height!
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    I'm a big fan of graphtechs stuff, i used to always have them in my strats as i also play very hard.

• Get the new Highwood saddles.
    I've got a set and they're unbelievably good.
  • Cool, highwood and graphtech seem like reasonable options.  I like the look of the graphtech ones - perversely, I think they will suit the Wudtone bridge really nicely.  

But I'll see how I get on with boggo callahams first

• The Raw Vintage ones are meant to be superb and have shorter screws. They aren't that easy to get over here but reputed well worth the effort.
  • Graphtech saddles are unnecessary on a strat, and tbh sound a bit shitty (They work well on tunomatics though)
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    Graphtech saddles are unnecessary on a strat, and tbh sound a bit shitty (They work well on tunomatics though)
    I dont find that at all! i find it adds a little to the low end attack of a strat and they certainly cut down on my string breakages, infact i've never broken a string on a graphtech loaded guitar. I'm going to drop some into my Godin as soon as i get the chance to.

• Just buy some proper grub screws of the correct height!
    ^^^  This. I'm surprised there isn't some enterprising seller on eBay offering a range of shorter grub screws for Strat owners with lacerated hands. Years ago before the internet I went to a shop called Clerkenwell Screws and got some for an ESP I had. They had every screw and bolt type you could think of, as I recall. A quick google shows the shop still exists, and they have a website. 

Contrary to @ICBM when I set up my Strats the grub screws are nearly always protruding too far - maybe I'm doing it wrong. Anyone know what size and thread Fender CS saddle screws are, as I might try the Clerkenwell boys for some replacements?
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
    edited February 2014
    Contrary to @ICBM when I set up my Strats the grub screws are nearly always protruding too far - maybe I'm doing it wrong. Anyone know what size and thread Fender CS saddle screws are, as I might try the Clerkenwell boys for some replacements?
    Just put a thin shim in the neck pocket. That will fix it straight away without needing to change the screws.

The screws are an American thread (#4-40) that's difficult to get in the UK - the usual guitar parts suppliers carry them if you really need to change them.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• I'll see how I get on, but I rely on heavy palm muting for percussive stuff.  So I reckon it'll kill me 'and if there are screws sticking out.

But maybe I can just file them down.

Or maybe it'll be a total non issue! I'll ask for further advice when it's all set up :)
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7137
    Mine don't come anywhere near the tops of the saddles.

This is a Callaham bridge on my own build Strat. 

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 

• stonevibe said:

If mine turn out like that, I'm dead chuffed :)
    Whatever you do, don't do what a friend of mine did years ago and file the tops of the screws down :).

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM said:
    Whatever you do, don't do what a friend of mine did years ago and file the tops of the screws down :).
    LOL

That is actually the kind of thing I'd rush in and do, even knowing what I should do.
    stonevibe said:

Dirty guitar is dirty
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM said:
    Just put a thin shim in the neck pocket. That will fix it straight away without needing to change the screws.

The screws are an American thread (#4-40) that's difficult to get in the UK - the usual guitar parts suppliers carry them if you really need to change them.
    Thanks @ICBM. Does the shim affect the ability to get a low action? I currently find that with a 9.5 radius and 6105s I can't get the action as low as I'd like without choking when bending on the top two strings above the 12th fret.
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
    Thanks @ICBM. Does the shim affect the ability to get a low action? I currently find that with a 9.5 radius and 6105s I can't get the action as low as I'd like without choking when bending on the top two strings above the 12th fret.
    Have you checked the nut height and the relief?

If you have and they're good, and you can't lower the saddles without choking, shimming the neck won't help. All it does is tilt the neck relative to the body and so change the effective height of the saddles above the body.