Dave Lee Roth you bastard ......

What's Hot
axisusaxisus Frets: 28331
Release them!!!!!

My biggest gig regret was that I didn't see DLR when he played live in the UK to support the 'Eat em and smile' album. I was on holiday at the time so couldn't make it. I recently heard an interview with Billy Sheehan and he said that they did proper pro quality filming of that tour, but Dave has never released it. I would so love to see that!

Also ...... apparently he has another John 5 album in the can that has never been released.

DLR, man up and give this stuff to the fans!!!! We will pay you for it!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• i believe he doesnt release live recordings  (just like Van Halen stuff) because he's often out of pitch when singing live..
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Honestly, DLR at Wembley Arena was the worst gig I've ever been to.

We walked out after six songs and went for a curry in Uxbridge.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Not sure if we will ever see it, bootlegs and YT are the best we have for now.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28331
    RobDavies said:
    Honestly, DLR at Wembley Arena was the worst gig I've ever been to.

We walked out after six songs and went for a curry in Uxbridge.
    Seriously!?!?!?!
  • MegiiMegii Frets: 1670
    I remember seeing DLR with Van Halen - Donnington, 1984. That was, as far as I recall, an excellent performance from all of them. Apparently, they weren't getting on too well behind the scenes at that point, but I'm still glad to have the memory of being there.
  • Megii said:
    I remember seeing DLR with Van Halen - Donnington, 1984. That was, as far as I recall, an excellent performance from all of them. Apparently, they weren't getting on too well behind the scenes at that point, but I'm still glad to have the memory of being there.
    I was there.  T’was a fab performance :)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MegiiMegii Frets: 1670
    TheMarlin said:
    Megii said:
    Yay! I was wondering if any other forumites were in the crowd. AC/DC headlined - and were awesome - I remember that well, because I wasn't a particular AC/DC fan before the gig, but certainly was afterwards. Gary Moore also somewhere on the bill, and Ozzy also. I also remember staggering back in an exuberant state of mind, with a mate, and somehow managing to find our coach in the dark. Happy days :D
  • DLR can't sing live and Van Halen ...truth album was shite.

:) Sorry.
    Music the great communicator, use two sticks to make it in the nature - a music reviews blog: http://usetwosticks.wordpress.com/
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28331
    truth album was shite.

Wrong.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • axisus said:
    truth album was shite.

Wrong.
    wis'd... i enjoyed it too..
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

• DLMDLM Frets: 2513

I think DLR made enough dough with VH and solo to still have "creative control", even now.

I actually think it's a great thing if an artist can still exert creative control. Even from beyond the grave: Pratchett just had his part-done works steamrollered on their hard drives so no one can finish them off. :sunglasses: Who knows what George Michael would have thought about what they've done with his latest posthumous release?

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10402
    I was at the Wembly arena gig, sound was terrible ..... sometimes it was maybe 30 seconds into the song before I could tell what it was ..... a boomy echo -ey arena and double kick drums and hectic guitar is not a good mix to decipher 

DLR is far from the best singer in the world, he's pitchy, off the beat and most of the time doesn't bother singing the chorus but he was a stunning front man so the gig still worked for me. 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • westwest Frets: 996
    TheMarlin said:
    Megii said:
    Me three , accept and  motley and y+ t dave meniketti was fab black tigerrrrr etc , go to sleep while gary moore was on lol many ciders , ozzy with jake e lee nearly got trampled in the crush eek , then what i came for van halen with roth it was great ! .. many bottles in the air  some with piss lol( made the sky darken at one point ) and dave utter the immortal line ... "dont be throwing that shit on stage , or i'll come down there and fuck ALL your girlfriends " the crowed roared , ac dc came on , we left for more cider , such a great day / memory ...
  • westwest Frets: 996
    Also saw DLR in london but it must have been hammersmith odean skyscaper tour , vai had that heart shaped thing , good on the whole was concerned about catching last tube back  to the car .... seemed to remember vai double tapping the outro to jump and thinking ah nice ... at the time ...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6389
    Danny1969 said:
    I was at the Wembly arena gig, sound was terrible .....
    It always is there unless you're near the front. Barn of a place.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • Different Kind of Truth was pretty good.  It had some old VH songs on there and some new recordings.  Eddie's tone was OTT with gain at some points, but I enjoyed it.  They haven't lost it, lots of tight rhythms and you can tell DLR is having fun singing.  
  • I don't think he's a bad singer - at all. Those two albums were nothing but sublime works of art. I don't know if I want the videos: I want those lads - the four of them (Bisonette, Sheehan, Vai and David) - to get together again, make a new and mind-blowing album and get out there and gig.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22774
    i believe he doesnt release live recordings  (just like Van Halen stuff) because he's often out of pitch when singing live..
    Only "often"...?
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11291
    I remember one interview when he referred to himself not as a singer but as an "old-style carnival barker".
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11590
    edited September 2017 tFB Trader

axisus said:
    My biggest gig regret was that I didn't see DLR when he played live in the UK to support the 'Eat em and smile' album. I was on holiday at the time so couldn't make it. 

I don't think that Roth came over to the UK for the Eat Em and Smile tour - all the dates were the USA
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eat_'Em_and_Smile_Tour

I thought he didn't come over till Skyscraper which he did twice - Donnington Monsters Of Rock followed by two nights at Hammersmith (Supported by Great White), then he also played Wembley Arena a few months later. 

I seem to recall seeing him doing the surf board over the audience thing, but that may have been the Little Ain't Enough tour when Joe Holmes stood in for Jason Becker

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!