Glenn Fricker/Spectre Sound Studios

What's Hot
digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26561
edited September 2017 in Studio & Recording
Hey all...

OK, so this is a bit of a promotion thing, but bear with me. If any of you guys are getting into recording, the Spectre Sound Studios YouTube channel might be very useful. No, it's not mine - it's Glenn Fricker's channel (aka The Shouty Canadian). He's got a lot of great guides to recording (including tracking and mixing drums, which I've found to be a goldmine), and as a bonus he uses Reaper (a lot of people are starting out with it these days) and shows how he mixes drums and guitars using only free plugins.

You can find him here:

Spectre Sound Studios

Helpfully, he's put together a bunch of playlists for his tutorial videos too:

Playlists here

He also runs competitions and giveaways, which are generally only for people who've signed up to his newsletter (which also has bonus unlisted videos). You can sign up here:

http://www.spectremedia.ca/newsletter-signup/

In case anyone's wondering why I'm posting this...well, I think it's going to be useful for quite a few people, and he's been kind enough to give us a shout out a few times too so it only seems fair to return the favour.
<space for hire>
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2243
    Agreed - A lot of people (bassists ;) ) don't agree with him but his tutorials are very clear and useful. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6123
    tFB Trader
    Is it good for total recording beginners?
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
  • Plus you got a namecheck and a guest star spot in his Helix Plugin review  ;)
  • ThorpyFX said:
    Is it good for total recording beginners?
    I'd say so, yes. Certainly helped me a lot when I was getting a bit more into it.

Plus you got a namecheck and a guest star spot in his Helix Plugin review  ;)
    Heh...I think I'm going to be on Viewers' Comments this week too, and probably not in a good way :D
    <space for hire>
  • I like his channel it's entertaining but I do feel he can be a bit old school ... he's a funny chap and his hate on line 6 is hilarious 
  • mrleon83 said:
    I like his channel it's entertaining but I do feel he can be a bit old school ... he's a funny chap and his hate on line 6 is hilarious 
    Old school - how, out of curiosity?

I do find that he's very insistent on the older ways of doing things ie focusing on getting the setup right so less has to be done in post. Which is great, because that's what I don't know :)

On the subject of that, he's writing up some guides for tracking/mixing/etc over the next few months, which will be available for free to all newsletter subscribers.
    <space for hire>
  • mrleon83 said:
    I like his channel it's entertaining but I do feel he can be a bit old school ... he's a funny chap and his hate on line 6 is hilarious 

I do find that he's very insistent on the older ways of doing things ie focusing on getting the setup right so less has to be done in post. Which is great, because that's what I don't know :)

On the subject of that, he's writing up some guides for tracking/mixing/etc over the next few months, which will be available for free to all newsletter subscribers.
    I mean in exactly the way you say, that things need to be done in a certain way, he seems to specialize in old school metal so it's all good and I'm sure he's awesome at those mixes 

as I say, I'm a fan it's just the 'my way or the highway' thing kinda pangs  .. my personal favorite is the recording revolution oh and warren huarts channel is awesome too ...
  • mrleon83 said:
    mrleon83 said:

I mean in exactly the way you say, that things need to be done in a certain way, he seems to specialize in old school metal so it's all good and I'm sure he's awesome at those mixes 

as I say, I'm a fan it's just the 'my way or the highway' thing kinda pangs  .. my personal favorite is the recording revolution oh and warren huarts channel is awesome too ...
    Yup. I've found that a lot of the better engineers are very much like that - get it right up-front - partly because it usually results in a better end-result, and partly because that's where the real skill in their profession lies. A lot of the newer guys rely more on the tools and plugins to fix mistakes made early on, which is basically program knowledge over skill.

The best results are probably going to come from applying both. Personally, I have neither, which is why I always end up paying somebody else to do it for me ;)
    <space for hire>
  • He's probably right in  that. It's difficult to polish a turd...
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 1993
    Plus you got a namecheck and a guest star spot in his Helix Plugin review  ;)

I did wonder who that was. Now I know.

Not sure what to do with this new found information.

• sgosden said:

Not sure what to do with this new found information.

How about "Be very very nice about it, for he wields the banhammer"?

:D
    <space for hire>
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
     which is why I always end up paying somebody else to do it for me ;)
    GIVE ME MOAR MONUEYY!!
  • I watch Glenn's channel every now and then, he strikes me as someone that'd be fun to hang out with.  He posted on webforums for years prior to doing his channel and I've read several useful posts of his over the years IIRC.

---

Regarding learning - If you're serious about learning I'd suggest recording a song from start to finish with a producer who has done stuff you like.  I reckon I've spent about a decade trying to teach myself to not suck at music and I've learned more in less than a week's worth of time spread out with a few knowledgeable people than I learned on my own with books and YouTube.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2243
    Just saw it! Thin stringed princess :) Made me chuckle ;]