Every self respecting guitarist should have one of these!

What's Hot
DJH83004DJH83004 Frets: 196
It looks like an ordinary guitar case, but wait.....
All I have to do now is get it working :o  

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• AlexCAlexC Frets: 2396
    Ah, one of those Silvertone things (early Danelectro)... It came with a guitar. (Obviously) I've read about them but never actually seen one. Bet it sounds fantastic...ahem.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30289
    Must really guzzle batteries.
  • Shark_EyesShark_Eyes Frets: 377
    edited September 2017
    Looks like this might be right up @HarrySeven 's street, he may even already have one or two.

Did it come with the guitar?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I believe the owner does have the guitar, but just dropped the case off with me to repair, quite looking forward to taking it apart :)  
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72227
    What does the 'speaker control' knob do - some sort of attenuator? I'm assuming it's non-original since photos of other ones don't show it.

Slightly concerning that the power cable has clearly been nipped in the hinge too!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Have managed to find a schematic IC, so looking forward to getting to grips with it, and yes the mains cable does look a bit worse for wear!
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7332
    I thought is was a wallpapering table... that would have been more useful...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    I thought is was a wallpapering table... that would have been more useful...
    An ALL VALVE wallpapering table, which we all know is superior.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Interesting 
    I bet it sounds truly truly shit though
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • By modern standards, it is actually a very dangerous piece of equipment, first of all it is a two core mains cable, which would be OK if it was double insulated but it isn't. secondly, whilst the heater circuit is derived from an isolating transformer, the main HT (B+) volts are derived straight from the mains via a dropper resistor. So you may think that's OK because I'm using a step down transformer, but the vast majority are actually auto transformers, with no primary / secondary isolation. One for IC, the speaker fader control operates between the internal speaker and a plug in external speaker (via a phono socket). It's also got the famous 'death cap' isolating the mains from the chassis (which is actually some silver foil on a piece of hardboard.    

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72227
    Wow. That's even more primitive and dangerous than I was expecting! Even after having worked on a Danelectro spring reverb unit a while ago.

I assume you will be insisting on rebuilding it with a proper UK-voltage isolating power transformer… which would solve a lot of the problems at once.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30289
    No matter how dangerous it is, I'd still like one.
  • Sassafras said:
    No matter how dangerous it is, I'd still like one.

Darwinism in action.  ;-)
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I've got the 1484 champ type combo, Silvertone Amps are great. despite the cheap build. Great sounds. Mines the best overdrive pedal I've ever owned 
  • MartinBMartinB Frets: 186
    Ooft, that looks terrifying!  I'm sure it'll be trashy sounding in a fun way once it's sorted though.  
  • jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2734

I refuse to work on those.