Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Boss and JHS - Angry Driver

What's Hot

Comments

• OctafishOctafish Frets: 1937
    What style of OD is the Angry Charlie?
    It's a modified Mk1 Guv'nor I think. 
      It's a slightly modified MI Crunch Box apparently http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=13922.0 . JHS were intially just using the Madbean layouts, until he was found out.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BBBluesBBBlues Frets: 635
    Just watched the video. I am 150% sure I won't buy this pedal.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • I love Boss but I hate JHS. I won't be buying one because I refuse to line the pockets of that guy, although I bet he's already been paid by Roland for his input.

so he rips off the CB from the Madbean, then sells it to Boss?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2346
    Vaiai said:
    Thought it was April for a minute there:
    https://www.boss.info/us/products/jb-2/
    Yep me too.

Shame they didn't collaborate with MI Audio.

Or Marshall, I guess...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • juansolojuansolo Frets: 1773
    edited September 2017
    Octafish said:
    Interesting, what pedal is the JHS bit ripped off from? Obviously moved on from his madbean 'collaboration' days lol 
    "the JB-2 Angry Driver pairs the tones of the iconic BOSS BD-2 Blues Driver with JHS Pedals’ popular Angry Charlie. Working closely together, the two pedal innovators have developed an all-new combined circuit with refined sound and performance perfectly tuned for dual-mode drive operation."

I love marketing...
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • I'm absolutely going to get one of these. 

In 6 months when the s/h market is flooded with em, like it was with the 5150 pedal, the BE-OD etc etc. 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I spent a couple of hours with one the other day. I'll definitely be getting one!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 4114Effects4114Effects Frets: 3131
    tFB Trader
    juansolo said:
    Octafish said:
    Interesting, what pedal is the JHS bit ripped off from? Obviously moved on from his madbean 'collaboration' days lol 
    "the JB-2 Angry Driver pairs the tones of the iconic BOSS BD-2 Blues Driver with JHS Pedals’ popular Angry Charlie. Working closely together, the two pedal innovators have developed an all-new combined circuit with refined sound and performance perfectly tuned for dual-mode drive operation."

I love marketing...
    It's the "pedal innovators" thing that gets me ... since when has JHS been an innovator? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • It's a shame because it's probably brilliant- I love the crunch box and I love the blues driver and all in the best designed pedal box ever. Plus the stacking and parallel options... Very cool pedal. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • By spec and concept, I think it looks bloody brilliant! Some of the demos sound shocking - but Rabea Masaad seems to have made it sound very good to me. The angry Charlie side doesn't sound quite how my old one did to me however. Great idea though - Boss on a roll at the mo. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I still quite fancy a JHS VCR pedal. As that is essentially based on a Boss chorus (CE2 I think) but costs stupid money perhaps they could do a Boss version of that next. 

Anyway, I watched the PMT demo of this pedal and it sounded like a wet fart in a blanket so not feeling the love yet although the various options are quite clever. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I still quite fancy a JHS VCR pedal. As that is essentially based on a Boss chorus (CE2 I think) but costs stupid money perhaps they could do a Boss version of that next. 

Anyway, I watched the PMT demo of this pedal and it sounded like a wet fart in a blanket so not feeling the love yet although the various options are quite clever. 
    The Rabea demo on page one is the best demo of this pedal.  

The Rabea demo on page one is the best demo of this pedal.  
    I'll have to have a look :smiley: 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • Bizarre, utterly bizarre. Something is wrong, this is further proof that we are in one of the shitty parallels of a better universe. 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I don't want to start an argument but don't quite a lot of pedal companies just copy and slightly modify pedals?

It just seems that JHS get all of the hate when companies like Analogman get away with it. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I don't want to start an argument but don't quite a lot of pedal companies just copy and slightly modify pedals?

It just seems that JHS get all of the hate when companies like Analogman get away with it. 

It wasn't so much that jhs copied other pedals as the way they did it (using madbean layouts - which should be copyright protected as artwork iirc), and the lies they used to cover it up, coupled with (at the time) very shoddy workmanship, high failure rate and a very high asking price. 

They're a different company now. I don't know that I'd bother with them (after all, there are lots of genuinely fantastic hand builders with a cleaner history) but some folk are happy to leave the past in the past. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • juansolojuansolo Frets: 1773
    edited September 2017

To be fair, no one has asked my opinion of Analogman

There are plenty of others that are well deserving of ire. Most are known about; Lovepedal would be next in line for doing things that rub me the wrong way (flowery marketing BS over what is a completely boggo/someone else's circuit built in very half-arsed manner). But there are plenty others. Vertex and Freakish Blues probably took the JHS methodology of selling someone else's work as their own to the next level. They got caught though so everyone knows about those. Veranum or whatever the fuck they're called, another stick it in a fancy box, say how you took four years honing the circuit (it was something like that) when you actually took a timmy and replaced a single resistor with a variable resistor... There are plenty of others.

LOADS of boutique pedals take an existing circuit and modify it slightly. It's very rare to get anything radically new and different these days certainly commercially. There are only so many ways you can do an op-amp/fet-based OD. Now if you're upfront about this, I have absolutely no problem with it. When you try and pass it off as all your own work and yourself a wunderkind innovator, then you're deserving of being on the receiving end of some shit.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30289
    I don't want to start an argument but don't quite a lot of pedal companies just copy and slightly modify pedals?

Analogman never made a secret of his work. He modified existing pedals, he didn't just stick existing circuits in different boxes and call them his own.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5141
    I don't like using using those dual concentric pots.....it's the only reason I don't use the Boss Metalzone more ;)
  • Ro_SRo_S Frets: 929
    simonk said:
    What style of OD is the Angry Charlie?
    It's a modified Mk1 Guv'nor I think. 
    It may be that too but primarily I thought it was a MI Crunchbox ripoff.
    I believe the Crunchbox was a modified Marshall Shredmaster.

Boss should've done a collab with Marshall instead.

Very interesting Boss are doing a design collab; i wonder if they intend to do several - in order to refresh the Boss brand.

Shame the collab was with jhs.

Shame they paired these two pedals.  it sounds sludgy to me.

What use is a high gain distortion with only one one tone control?
    Not interested.

This pedal has a BJ mode.
    over 20 effects pedals FOR SALE, click here to see my classifieds thread.   My trading feedback

Effects for Me & my Monkey    
    YouTube channel     Facebook         Fretboard's "resident pedal supremo" - mgaw

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom