Loom fell apart, so need some help...

What's Hot
ThePrettyDamnedThePrettyDamned Frets: 7472
edited February 2014 in Guitar
I have a Shugz loom for my upcoming gspbasses rock machine for Volume, Tone and Blend.  I also have a mini switch for coil tapping the pickups.  

However, thanks to the dog managing to get hold of it while I was working, one of the wires to the blend pot...Er... Came off.  :)

So, I *could* just solder that back together and the job is a goodun, but I have another idea.  

I never use the tone pot.  No, really, it just doesn't get much use at all.  If the coil tap tone is too bright, I could just put a cap on the switch I think for a fixed bit of treble roll off (maybe @ICBM can correct me here?).  So using the switch would tap the pickups and put a cap in series to suck away some treble.  I think.  Maybe.

So, rather than having a tone pot, could I pop this in instead? http://preview.tinyurl.com/nbmpo3w ;

I saw Shadow do some pots with a killswitch, but as I don't use a tone pot anyway... And it'll probably break the pot function knowing me.

I also found this.  Not sure if it's suitable or whether it's latching, but I reckon I could make one of these run off a pretty small battery... Could be wrong?

Or this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Metal-LED-Push-Button-Switch-Blue-Ring-Momentary-/171230940902?pt=UK_BOI_Electrical_Components_Supplies_ET&hash=item27de28cee6

Or how about one of these, with an explanation mark on it? :P http://tinyurl.com/qbp9az9

Basically, are any of these viable alternatives?  Allprats do one, but it's red which will clash horribly.  And that's very, very important.  

And LED's are cool.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Okay, found plenty of switches that would work, but I reckon I might go for replacing the tone pot with a Shadow kill pot.  It'll mean less visible modification, and generally less faff.  

• ICBMICBM Frets: 71955
    You can't put a cap on the same switch as the coil split if it splits both pickups at once, because you would need three poles. You can do it if you're using one switch per pickup.

You want push-to-make, not push-to-break for a killswitch - to short the guitar output to ground. If you use push-to-break you will get a loud hum when you use it with any significant gain.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Okay, cool.  

I think I'll just go for the Shadow pot if I do it anyway - it'll be easier to sort, give me the effect and I don't use the tone control much so I've not really got any worries.  

Thanks for the coil split info - even more reason to not bother with a dedicated switch and keep a tone control!
  • Oh, as usual, here is your wisdom :)