Recording live music onto a laptop - quite urgent!

What's Hot
vizviz Frets: 10681
edited February 2014 in Guitar

My wife did a recital today that I was supposed to record. I was using this:

http://i865.photobucket.com/albums/ab217/Vizzage/condensermic_zps4a96eda8.jpg

and this:

http://i865.photobucket.com/albums/ab217/Vizzage/cakewalk25EXUSB_zpsaac8a98e.png

into software called Sonar.

The sound was excellent but the bloody thing crashed after 15 minutes, so we lost most of it. She's doing it again tomorrow so I'm going to buy some more robust software - any recommendations please???

Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    Which version of sonar were you using?  It's a pretty robust DAW as it is.  The crash is more likely down to how it was setup rather than the software itself.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13566
    what he said
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9583
    edited February 2014
    A better laptop?

I think Sonar is quite highly regarded, certainly no worse than any comparable recording application. I'd guess the problem is with the OS, or the drivers or something.
  • vizviz Frets: 10681

OK cheers - it's on a friends laptop so I don't know anything about it, what do you mean, how it was setup?

Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13566
    TBH you could record a single voice  straight into windows
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    It's piano and voice. But what program would I use to record directly into Windows?
    Actually it crashed twice - once during test beforehand the program just froze and I had to close it in task manager; then during the recital it froze and said "audio engine went wrong" or something.
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2926
    Something like Audacity might be what you want? As robust (and simple) as it gets, but would be ideal just for recording minimal tracks.
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11884
    try reaper too
  • I'd say grab something like the iRig Pre and download the iRig Recorder (if you have an iPhone or Android device). They work a treat, and they're rock solid.
    <space for hire>
    It's for a 1 hour clip - will audacity and reaper be ok for that?
    Aaaargh der-brain. Problem solved. The clip I actually managed to record was exactly 15 minutes long. The hibernation on the laptop was set to 15 minutes!! Bloody microsoft.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • maltingsaudiomaltingsaudio Frets: 3116
    edited February 2014
    To be honest use audacity if you use reaper your going to running a hole lot of stuff you don't need which will affect the laps performance and stability. Don't forget to turn off everything on the lap you don't need got a load of rcordings with the bing of an incoming email on it and you don't want it updating half way through Ave Maria!
    PS Audacity is free!
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    wisdom. thanks
  • viz said:
    Aaaargh der-brain. Problem solved. The clip I actually managed to record was exactly 15 minutes long. The hibernation on the laptop was set to 15 minutes!! Bloody microsoft.
    You'd think that if the computer was actually doing something (recording) it wouldn't hibernate... I've always changed the settings on my Mac if I'm doing something like that just in case. But Windows, ah, I'm not surprised. 

Good luck with the next take. I thought Audacity was a stereo (two track) recorder/editor only but it might be all you need anyway.
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5000
    edited February 2014
    "Quite urgent"??!! :D
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
  • How'd you get on?
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

The bastard thing crashed again, this time at 22 minutes. The hibernation problem was a red herring. Never mind, we got it on an ipad, but it's not cd quality :( Oh well.
  • mike257mike257 Frets: 374
    Reaper is great, light on resource usage and can be trialled (fully featured) for free.  I've used it for tracking live shows through a Behringer X32 on a seven year old MacBook without a hitch. Never had it crash on me.