Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

That new Slash Firebird

What's Hot
RabsRabs Frets: 2607
edited September 2017 in Guitar tFB Trader

Arrrggg, whyd they have to relic them..  

"Everybody loves the Firebirds," says Slash about his two new signature Gibson Custom models, the prototypes of which he used on tour for the last year. They are a radical departure from the Les Pauls he is known for, yet Slash wanted many Les Paul elements included on this model including humbuckers, historic Les Paul wiring and pickup spacing, and a solid figured maple cap. Per Slash's request, the Custom Shop hand-aged these with vintage-accurate checking and wear to the thin nitrocellulose lacquer finish. Each features Slash's custom specs throughout as well as exclusive hot-stamped Slash pickguard artwork. With only 25 of each being made, these Slash Firebirds are instantly some of the most collectible artist models Gibson Custom has ever created.

http://www.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/2017/Custom/Slash-Firebird.aspx

https://i.imgur.com/lInaAcU.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/Ua13saJ.jpg

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    Only 25 of each colour? Jesus I bet these are going to be cheap :D
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • underdog said:
    You won't see him playing one again come the end of the tour 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16651
    I think the relic on the white is okay, it's a believable old finish even if it never existed.   

The trans black would have looked better with an as new finish
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    underdog said:
    You won't see him playing one again come the end of the tour 

Seems to have taken the place of his explorer and his Les Paul access on the tour, so maybe they will be wheeled back out.

With him and his new Gibson deal i fear we are going to see lots of non Les Paul signature models, which I always find weird as hell.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6838
    tFB Trader
    "Nurse, Rabs's out of bed again and not been talking his anti-Gibson pills...."
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Wow, solid maple cap, Les Paul pickup spacing, Les Paul wiring...

Makes you wonder why he's not just playing a Les Paul! ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14411
    edited September 2017
    The maple-capped version is reminiscent of the 1982 Firebird II Artist CMT. 

Slash must consider the first series reverse Firebird to be, primarily, a look. For me, the Firebird is, primarily, a sound.

You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Just a money making exercise for artist and Gibson 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16651
    Just a money making exercise for artist and Gibson 
    How dare they!
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30289
    Just a money making exercise for artist and Gibson 
    It's not like Gibson need the money.
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8491
    I actually really like the crazy silvery finish, but it'd be better if it had silver mini 'buckers.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30289
    I'm not too keen on Firebirds but that translucent black one is especially horrible.
  • That black flamed one is horrible, a real shitpiece
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16080
    Just waiting for the SLASH Jazz box ..........he'll be using it on the next Tour or I may wait for the Justin Beiber Junior which comes with a great pair of Gibson branded trainers apparently
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1372
    The uncovered pickups look tacky and 80s, so perfect for Slash/GnR fans. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10257
    tFB Trader
    The maple-capped version is reminiscent of the 1982 Firebird II Artist CMT. 

Slash must consider the first series reverse Firebird to be, primarily, a look. For me, the Firebird is, primarily, a sound.

Sounds nowt like a firebird :-)
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• antonyivantonyiv Frets: 300
    edited September 2017

Great, now Slash will have to take this guitar on stage and play it because the marketing should be justified. 

I don't get this guitar, as I don't get Eric Clapton's 335. Sure, he played that model once, but for the past two decades he is using only his Blackie (and he says that strats are the best guitars in the world). 

A couple of proposals for signature series of famous musicians:

1. B.B King's Esquire:

2. David Gilmour's Duo Jet:

3. And finally, a package deal - Queen series telecasters:

4. Eddie Van Halen's Les Paul model:

I wouldn't be surprised if Gibson actually make such model
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Gibson did build Edward a special LP, finished in his trademark stripes and with a Floyd Rose. He gracefully accepted the thing and promptly stashed it in the vault. It's probably displayed at a branch of Hard Rock Cafe.

Edward wannabes would probably pay good money for a replica of either the vintage Explorer from which he sawed off one point or the 335 into which he attempted to chamfer a forearm contour.

Which is why I drew the comparison. 

Who, other me or HarrySeven, would be sick enough to want a Gibson RD dressed in Firebird clothing?

You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10257
    tFB Trader
    Gibson did build Edward a special LP, finished in his trademark stripes and with a Floyd Rose. He gracefully accepted the thing and promptly stashed it in the vault. It's probably displayed at a branch of Hard Rock Cafe.

Edward wannabes would probably pay good money for a replica of either the vintage Explorer from which he sawed off one point or the 335 into which he attempted to chamfer a forearm contour.

Which is why I drew the comparison. 

Who, other me or HarrySeven, would be sick enough to want a Gibson RD dressed in Firebird clothing?

I rather like RDs :-) 
    I built my own replica RD bass years ago 
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72245
    This reminds me of some time in the late 80s when I phoned up about a '64 Firebird which was listed in the Edinburgh Advertiser (remember when people used to sell gear that way?)…

Seller: "Yes, it's a great guitar, it used to belong to Bruce Watson of Big Country… he had Jimmy Moon fit it with a Kahler and two Seymour Duncan JBs".

Me: "Oh. Bye."

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

9reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom