GAS has hit for the 1st time in years - Nik huber krautster !

What's Hot
anyone played one ??!!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• No but i've played one of these and it is stunning!  Would be my choice for that style of guitar.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1948
    I believe @Treewig had nice one 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11590
    tFB Trader
    CHrisP86 said:
    No but i've played one of these and it is stunning!  Would be my choice for that style of guitar.

That is one of our 25th Anniversary of which there will be 5 (to go with the 5 arch top Lions that complete the limited edition)
    All are still available at this point. 
    Confession : they may be some of my favourite guitars that we have made to date.

I may make a few less lavish versions once the 25th builds are all done as I really like the form of these guitars.

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• I've owned three.  Terrific guitars.  I just prefer the longer scale length of the Huber Dolphin (and Krautsters tend to have thick necks - but they are comfortable).  Had a Krautster with a Bigsby.  Should never have sold it.  Krautsters used to be the cheaper Hubers.   Really pricey now. Worth it though!
  • Yes, Ive owned one, and played two only a few weeks ago at World Guitars...

Lovely guitars, with an amazing balance between neck and bridge pickups. There are two rare colours and specs at World Guitars at the moment... but they are strong money.

With a big wodge of cash to spend, I liked em, but penultimately, didnt love them.

• RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13938
    edited September 2017
    I had a Krautster II for a while. Lovely satin neck, very well finished and played very nicely. The body was in Petrol Blue and the finish was weird, I've never come across it before, kind of a cross between gloss and satin and really showed up fingerprints and was hard to clean them off, very smeary. I couldn't tell what type of finish it was, definitely not nitro and nothing like Fender poly.

The pickups sounded good but the control knobs felt cheap Allparts Gibson copies and the push pull coil split pot meant that the tone knob sat higher off the guitar body than the volume knob and was really slack to turn, making it feel a bit cheap.

Overall the guitar felt a little characterless, which was disappointing for the money paid so I sold it and got a Gibson R8 which feels much more like home. 

• DominicDominic Frets: 16089
    ^ spot on about the knobs and finish but the sound is spectacular -I certainly wouldn't call it characterless............in fact I would say it has amazing bite and sting
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5410
    Love 'em. Very hot pickups but controllable and tone monsters as such. They are now available with two different neck carves too so you can go old school fat neck or a slimmer "60's" carve too. 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22768
    I had a Krautster II for a while. Lovely satin neck, very well finished and played very nicely. The body was in Petrol Blue and the finish was weird, I've never come across it before, kind of a cross between gloss and satin and really showed up fingerprints and was hard to clean them off, very smeary. I couldn't tell what type of finish it was, definitely not nitro and nothing like Fender poly.

The pickups sounded good but the control knobs felt cheap Allparts Gibson copies and the push pull coil split pot meant that the tone knob sat higher off the guitar body than the volume knob and was really slack to turn, making it feel a bit cheap.

Overall the guitar felt a little characterless, which was disappointing for the money paid so I sold it and got a Gibson R8 which feels much more like home. 
    I had one of the single-humbucker ones (with just a push-pull volume control) and I agree with your comments about the finish and the pots.

I'm not sure if it was characterless, but there was something a bit clinical about it (strangely it reminded me of a Lakewood acoustic I had, although I don't want to invoke stereotypes of "German efficiency").  I think ultimately I felt it was a bit out of my league, although I've owned more expensive guitars.

The big fat flame maple neck was lovely to look at, though!
  • Treewig1Treewig1 Frets: 445
    edited September 2017
    So many high end guitars use plastic knobs.  I don't know why luthiers don't pay attention to this small, but important (to me), detail.
  • jimmyguitarjimmyguitar Frets: 2464
    edited September 2017
  • GV's Dolphin has been there a while.  Really keen pricing!
  • I doubt I'll ever be able to afford or justify one, but they do seem fantastic.
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5410
    edited September 2017
    The pricing on Hubers has skyrocketed over the past few years. No doubt he's charging more simply because he can - rarely do they last more than about a week at World Guitars, for example. 

They are exceptional, but I can understand how you'd want to do a little comparison shopping for that kind of coin. 
  • hoopshoops Frets: 224
    Had one for about six months now - absolutely love it.
  • Hubert is expensive, but compared to the way Gibson prices have been going recently, maybe not so much considering the quality of the guitars.
    Link to my trading feedback: http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58787/
  • I had a Frank Hartung Junico which is basically the same guitar and are generally a bit cheaper when they come up second hand....great guitars though...haussel pick ups... top quality build... I regret selling mine.
    here's a link to one that sold recently

https://reverb.com/uk/item/2891906-frank-hartung-junico-les-paul-junior-2016-gold-top

• “To play a wrong note is insignificant; to play without passion is inexcusable.”
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    skaguitar said:
    I had a Frank Hartung Junico which is basically the same guitar and are generally a bit cheaper when they come up second hand....great guitars though...haussel pick ups... top quality build... I regret selling mine.
    here's a link to one that sold recently

https://reverb.com/uk/item/2891906-frank-hartung-junico-les-paul-junior-2016-gold-top

I really like the look of those, and that gold top is lush - although being "better than mint" is some sales pitch!
  • Krautsters are one of my favourite guitars, light, resonant, "alive feeling" and sound amazing, I have two of them.. The necks on them are some of the best out there. For me its the perfect carve.  I'd say they are one of the three most underrated guitars out there, along with Knaggs Steve Stevens models, and Yamaha SG's.