Faulty dyna comp

revsorgrevsorg Frets: 880
My MXR dyna comp is around 5 years old and has started making an annoying intermittent background noise.  Doesn't matter if it's powered by battery or a 9V supply, and I've discounted the possibility that the problem is elsewhere in the signal chain.

https://soundcloud.com/revsorg/faulty-mxr-dyna-comp

^ This is a 51 second MP3 where I turn on the dyna comp after 10 seconds.

One possible cause of the problem is that my son had it on his pedal board all last year in his student accommodation and it was plugged in all day every day for that time with power coming in from the 9V power supply.  I think his pedalboard served the secondary purpose of being a night light  :s

It wouldn't surprise me if it has simply been fried in that time.

I'm hoping one of the gurus here will be able to point me in the right direction please.

Can someone repair it? Should I contact MXR? Just buy a new pedal? Fix it myself?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• revsorgrevsorg Frets: 880
    I didn't get any response from this call for help...  any thoughts, anyone please?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72305
    Are you sure it isn't just amplifying some external noise? Compressors do that, especially with no signal going in.

It's unlikely that leaving it running even indefinitely would cause it any harm.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein