Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

What's the deal with baja teles?

What's Hot
Everyone seems to rave about them and there's two in the classifieds which I'm seriously struggling not to make advances on. Even though I REALLY shouldn't at the mo! I'm a HUGE tele fan. They literally can do no wrong in my eyes but everyone seems to love the baja. I know about the four position switch and the s1 but is there something else going on here that I should know about? I have a Mexican Classic 60's which cost me about 180 on eBay about 6 years ago and it's the best guitar I own. I also have a custom shop 52 relic tele but I wouldn't put on above the other. I think I'm just tele blind, anyways tell me about the baja
How very rock and roll
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I've had 2 and hated them. Thick Plastic paint, stupid switching and really heavy.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GIJoeGIJoe Frets: 213
    I love it!

The neck is like a baseball bat, so is not for everyone, but is superb.

Really good pickups.  I cannot fault it.

It's my #1 guitar - I know I can depend on it to sound awesome.  I have gigged it several times without a backup.

"Nobody is really researching robot jokes"

• jaygtrjaygtr Frets: 218
    I thought they would be the tele for me, but they weren't .
    Didn't like the neck, didn't like the prehistoric bridge, the first one I played was heavy and poorly built, the second one was a good weight and well built, but I still didn't bond with it.

I will say they both sounded pretty good though .

• Hmmm might be for me then. I like the vintage bridge and heavy teles. It's funny coz I've never heard anyone say anything bad about them! Haha
    How very rock and roll
  • Though debatable, they are suspected of being responsible for the spread of Bovine Telecaster tuberculosis.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
  • thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2320
    edited February 2014
    i've had 3 teles -  a Tokai breezy sound which was awesome, the baja, and now a levinson  blade delta T2.

the blade is so much better than either of the other two in build quality its unbelievable.   

The tokai was a nice guitar, and I didn't like the baja.  Don't understand what the fuss about them is to be honest.  The pickups are good, but they're not as nice as Toneriders or other more pricey ones.

I hated the finish on the baja.  It just looked dirty and not in a christine aquilera way..
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jaygtrjaygtr Frets: 218
    benmurray85;170176" said:
    Hmmm might be for me then. I like the vintage bridge and heavy teles. It's funny coz I've never heard anyone say anything bad about them! Haha

I can understand why people like them and the are reasonable value ( although not as reasonable as they used to be) , their just not my type of tele.

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17588
    tFB Trader
    The main thing about them is the V profile baseball bat neck which is a love or hate thing. 

They also have custom shop pickups which are very good. 

The 4 way is useful, but the out of phase is a bit of a gimmick. 
  • ParkerParker Frets: 960
    Yeah! Buy mine! Lol
  • They're hard work
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3616
    I must admit I liked the couple I looked at but the weight put me off. 
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 3003
    Neil said:
    I must admit I liked the couple I looked at but the weight put me off. 

Exactly this, loved the neck, thought the pickups were great, wondered why they made it as a heavy as a Norlin era Les Paul Custom...
  • siremoonsiremoon Frets: 1524
    When I was buying my Baja I found that the weights varied tremendously.  The one I bought weighed 7 1/2 pounds.  Others I tried were much heavier and one ridiculously so.  As ever try before you buy.

I think the pickups are excellent, the neck is a matter of taste although I wouldn't describe it as a baseball bat, more junior rounders.  I find a use for all 4 "S1 button up" switch positions but never use the extra two "button pressed" S1 options as the tones there don't sound great to me.  I agree they have slapped the glop on a bit thick which many don't like but it doesn't bother me especially.  The neck was a tad sticky until it was played in a bit.  The build quality on mine was pretty good, the only problem I've had was with the jack socket which worked loose after a few months.  That of course is a long standing tele weakness.  Replaced it with an electosocket. Sound wise it is very good imo, it has a wonderfully resonant tele quack to it which I love.  

Would I buy one again?  Yes but only if it was the same sort of weight as the one I already have.  My one man straw poll suggests mine is one of the lighter ones.
    “He is like a man with a fork in a world of soup.” - Noel Gallagher
  • I had one for about 6 months - great guitars...
    Sound fabulous but as others have said, check the weight!
    Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life
  • If you can be arsed going to Dawsons in Stockport (noticed your location is Lancashire), I played the one they have in and it's very nice. Nice neck, pretty light.
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9592
    edited February 2014
    I don't think the weight thing is just a Baja thing, it's typical of ash-bodied MIMs. I found the same thing with the 50s Classic (I ended up with the heavier of the two I tried, but it had a much nicer feeling neck).
  • The weights vary a lot, 7-9lbs. I played one in a local shop that was really light. I like the neck as well, very playable. I've seen a clip on youtube of the Mexican factory and the bodies are, I suspect, a five piece spread with a laminate on the top.
  • martinwmartinw Frets: 2149
    edited February 2014 tFB Trader
    SidNewton said:
     I've seen a clip on youtube of the Mexican factory and the bodies are, I suspect, a five piece spread with a laminate on the top.

This one isn't:

http://juansolo.demon.co.uk/stompage/bajage.html 

• mcsdanmcsdan Frets: 451
    edited February 2014
    Great guitars. Had one and loved it and regret selling but it was a p/x against a reissue LP which is stunning.

Spec is spot on for a vintage tele. Weight can be an issue but try some in store to be sure. The finish is a bit thick but it is what expected with a MIM.

I've been tempted with the ones in the classifieds too.Must resist! ;)
  • JetfireJetfire Frets: 1696
    One of my students has one and they are horrible IMHO. Huge plasticy feeling neck, heavy and the pick ups are VERY weak and quiet.. Could be a Friday one but otherwise, they are all sorts of terrible..