Pedal conundrum!!

What's Hot
Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
Not really a conundrum I suppose.

The FX8 is going at some point over the next month. I can't bond with it.

In the meantime I've been utterly BUMMMING my Timeline, DD-500, and Nemesis... clocking them all together via midi, and getting some glorious sounds. It has made me realise that A - I cannot sell these pedals. And B - I am up shit creek since selling my DC5 to @menamestom LOL!

I'm thinking then, of building a bigger board. A sort of non-Helix Helix... give myself all the options!!

So I'm eyeing up a new board, probably a Pedaltrain Classic 2 or Novo 24, and a Strymon Zuma power supply. Then I'd have:

EB Vol. Jnr
Dunlop 535Q
Timeline
Nemesis
DD500
Big Sky

... so the conundrum is this - I'd need something capable of switching channels on my amp via midi, and hopefully at the same time as switching the pedals on and off.

My shortlist:

Boss MS-3
Source Audio Soleman
Boss ES-8
Boss ES-5

Technically I don't need to put any of the pedals in the loops, as I can toggle their presets and bypass state from midi... really I'm just throwing some words around right now... but is anyone using any of these 4 switchers/midi controllers???

Alternatively.. just sack the midi aspect off and go back to tap dancing... but I would still need something to switch the channels on my Diezel!!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Hi,
    if you're just using midi capable pedals, am I right in thinking you wouldn't need switchable loops. The midi could turn each pedal on/off. If so something really simple like a tech 21 midi mouse would work. You could use one of these to switch the diezel with midi if it doesn't use midi switching itself.
    http://www.nuxefx.com/show-9-243-1.html.

I just got a decibel 11 switch dr from the classifieds and it is ace for switching midi, amp channels and true bypass loops, it also has a built in buffer and didn't break the bank. It can't change the order of the signal chain like the boss though.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • With the ES-5/8 you could still put the pedals in the loops and change pedal order.....and run parallel paths etc. 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
  • Morningstar MC6, without hesitation. 

Will that do the amp channel switching though?

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

Yep can't see why not - you can program it to do whatever you want it to. 
  • vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3667
    edited September 2017
    BOSS ES-5 and ES-8 are amazingly flexible and  does  a lot of stuff for amp switching too. Although you're doing this by MIDI, it might be worthwhile putting stuff in the loops anyway as  you can change the pedal order per patch should  you want to.  You will have to cable them and you're a little limited for choice as it's pretty tight for space at the back. I'm using Lava cables but George Ls also work well. The BOSSs aren't cheap and  the board can end up quite big as well but it can do pretty much everything in terms of amp switching,  MIDI control, pedal order.

Pros: for a switcher, very  flexible, lots of  amp switching and midi control, pedal order
    Cons: lots of extra patch cables and cramped jack space, no USB (PC.Mac editor uses mdi),  idiosyncratic UI

Edit: agree on the Nemesis though. It's bloody awesome.
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 1993

I just got a decibel 11 switch dr from the classifieds and it is ace for switching midi, amp channels and true bypass loops, it also has a built in buffer and didn't break the bank. It can't change the order of the signal chain like the boss though.

fairly sure Drew used to own that very same unit :P

Yep can't see why not - you can program it to do whatever you want it to. 

The Morningstar doesn't have any outputs other than MIDI DIN plugs, so couldn't switch channels on amps that use, say, 1/4" TRS jacks. However, all the Diezel amps allow MIDI control, so it's all good.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.