Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Tubescreamer Scrapheap challenge

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7329
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
  • Love it @Danny1969 - lets hear a demo

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10357
    I used this last night at band rehearsal, plugged into a Hotrod deluxe. This circuit really comes alive into a valve amp ..... I mean it works fine into my little solid state champ but it's really good in a valve amp for such a simple circuit. My tone control is actually more sensitive than the original I copied as I had intended to use 2 x 100n in parallel caps in the tone circuit which I scavenged from the computer speaker (never had any 200n's) but got sidetracked and only fitted one, so my tone control can get a bit fierce, which isn't a bad thing as I got a pretty good Stones "Satisfaction" riff tone out of it last night  by whacking the tone control on full ..... turned the other way it gets nice and mellow for a bluesy sound .... maybe I've accidentally invented a Tubescreamer mod there ?

Other pedals will follow ..... the other guy has an MXR compressor that sounds really good, so I'm gonna have a gander at that when I get a chance

www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • I challenge you to do a helix
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Coolest thing I've ever seen! I'm gonna start hunting for some components. I've got loads of old broken gear lying around! :D 
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30273
    Maybe you could do a collaboration with JHS. Cleanliness is next to Godliness.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Love it @Danny1969 - lets hear a demo

Just some licks through it in my workshop, Tokia Strat into a solidstate Fender champion ...recorded on phone so not great quality ... sounds better through a valve amp but I don't have one indoors 

www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2329
    ^ nice, great playing too
  • That's cool... it's a slippery soap (slope)....building pedals.... ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FezFez Frets: 499
    Sounds excellent.
    Don't touch that dial.
    This little thing got me out of trouble last night. I was doing a gig with a friends AC30 and the amp just hated my EMG equipped guitar .... no matter what I did it was a harsh rarspy sound with no bottom end at all and not enough gain for some of the classic rock stuff. So Soap Screamer to the rescue, used the tone control to tame some of the treble and the thing had enough drive for Living on a Prayer and Hotel California and other classic rock stuff 

I would be interested to know why the AC30 sounded so bad with EMG's as I use these amps with normal passive Strats and they normally sound ace .... something about the input impedence maybe ? @ICBM ;
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71963
    Shouldn't be, an AC30 has the same input configuration as most classic valve amps.

Are you sure this particular AC30 was working right? That's usually the biggest variable, especially with vintage ones. A lot of them are total basket cases if they've been badly 'repaired' over the years.

Just as an example I have a 70s one to work on this week which has one replaced (non-Celestion) speaker, and it's wired in parallel, giving a 4-ohm load instead of 16. I haven't plugged it in yet or checked what else might be wrong, but I bet it sounds terrible!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

It was a brand new AC30 head so a modern one with a purple metal finish. Even with the treble completely off and the bass whacked up full it sounded thin and harsh. 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • ricorico Frets: 1220
    Danny1969 said:
    It was a brand new AC30 head so a modern one with a purple metal finish. Even with the treble completely off and the bass whacked up full it sounded thin and harsh. 
    Was it the AC30VR?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71963
    Danny1969 said:
    Not sure what model that is, but if it's anything like the 'Heritage Handwired' series of a few years back, that will be a design feature...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• RockerRocker Frets: 4947
    Very impressive work there @Danny1969. Wow! Awarded.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4896
    simonk said:
    Awesome! Next up has to be a 'multi fx' in something like this surely...

Well that takes the biscuit!
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom