Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Quiet enough for home but loud enough for jams.

What's Hot

Comments

• TADodger said:
    If you can find one, how about a s/h Vox Pathfinder 15r.

Light, compact and absolutely craps on the ac4tv I had. Goes bloody loud with its own 10" speaker but also has a speaker output which can give even more volume.  Not suitable for metal type stuff though.
    Thanks, but still a bit big. I suppose my original feeling is slowly being answered, you can't have a small transportable amp plus jamming volume / tone in one amp. Closest so far for size, weight and performance seems to be the Code 25.
    If that's too big then the next thing I would say is the ZT lunchbox (or lunchbox junior). Tiny and monstrously loud if you want it. You'll probably want a pedal or two with it though.

I've not tried a Code yet but it does sound like it might be suitable too.
    That ZT Lunchbox junior looks interesting. 

TADodger said:
    Adamski said:
    I doubt the Code 25 can hang with a drummer. Could always mic it I guess 

I think that there was a Roland Microcube in the practice room at the Leicester Jam that was audible over the drums.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12665
    The amp I played through (and I think you did too) at the Jam in Leicester was 15w and it wasn't flat out - the master was maxed but the volume wasn't right up. That was more than capable of cutting over a drummer with a single 12in driver.

Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• impmann said:
    The amp I played through (and I think you did too) at the Jam in Leicester was 15w and it wasn't flat out - the master was maxed but the volume wasn't right up. That was more than capable of cutting over a drummer with a single 12in driver.

The Matchless was lovely but as a combo it is too large for my travel amp requirement unfortunately. I did look at the SC Mini as a small valve amp, but even that is quite large. I need to play some.
  • aord43aord43 Frets: 287
    TADodger said:
    TADodger said:

Light, compact and absolutely craps on the ac4tv I had. Goes bloody loud with its own 10" speaker but also has a speaker output which can give even more volume.  Not suitable for metal type stuff though.
    Thanks, but still a bit big. I suppose my original feeling is slowly being answered, you can't have a small transportable amp plus jamming volume / tone in one amp. Closest so far for size, weight and performance seems to be the Code 25.
    If that's too big then the next thing I would say is the ZT lunchbox (or lunchbox junior). Tiny and monstrously loud if you want it. You'll probably want a pedal or two with it though.

TADodger said:
    Adamski said:

I think that there was a Roland Microcube in the practice room at the Leicester Jam that was audible over the drums.
    That was mine.  It was just good enough but I wouldn't have chosen it for that scenario.
  • 2nd hand marshall valvestate combo
    https://www.gbmusic.co.uk/

PA Hire and Event Management
  • What about one of those blu guitar amp 1s? 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
  • 2nd hand marshall valvestate combo
    Even the 20w Valvestate combos are bigger than the Vox Pathfinder, and that's too big for the OP.

Actually I just remembered, that Pathfinder has an 8" speaker, not a 10".

• The DV Mark Jazz is a really nice tiny amp, not just for Jazz, would be great for blues as well, but would need a pedal for any gainier styles.

• aord43 said:
    TADodger said:
    TADodger said:

TADodger said:
    Adamski said:

That was mine.  It was just good enough but I wouldn't have chosen it for that scenario.
    Thanks @aord43, I guess my question is if the microbe just about cut it, shouldn't the Code 25 do somewhat better?
  • aord43aord43 Frets: 287
    TADodger said:
    aord43 said:
    TADodger said:
    TADodger said:

TADodger said:
    Adamski said:

Thanks @aord43, I guess my question is if the microbe just about cut it, shouldn't the Code 25 do somewhat better?
    It should do, the speaker is twice as big and the power is vastly more!

• The DV Mark Jazz is a really nice tiny amp, not just for Jazz, would be great for blues as well, but would need a pedal for any gainier styles.

Both the Mark Jazz and the, even smaller, Little Jazz sound great clean. With a pedal the Little Jazz could be an option.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72299
    The ZT Lunchbox probably has the highest volume/size ratio. I found the single tone control too limiting though. The painted MDF cabinet also chips very easily at the corners, if that matters to you.

I haven't tried the Jr, but on the bigger one the 'Ambience' control (which is not 'reverb' in the usual sense but adds an impression of space) makes a huge difference to the quality of the tone, so as the Jr doesn't have that it's a major disadvantage.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ICBM said:
    The ZT Lunchbox probably has the highest volume/size ratio. I found the single tone control too limiting though. The painted MDF cabinet also chips very easily at the corners, if that matters to you.

I haven't tried the Jr, but on the bigger one the 'Ambience' control (which is not 'reverb' in the usual sense but adds an impression of space) makes a huge difference to the quality of the tone, so as the Jr doesn't have that it's a major disadvantage.
    How is the ZT at low volumes?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72299
    It seems OK, but I've only tried it in the shop and not at home, so not at really low volume. It seemed to have a sensible taper on the volume control though.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• If your AV30 has proven loud enough for the jams then you'll be fine with a CODE 25.
    One day I'm going to make a guitar out of butter to experience just how well it actually plays.
  • ICBM said:
    It seems OK, but I've only tried it in the shop and not at home, so not at really low volume. It seemed to have a sensible taper on the volume control though.
    Thanks, I think this and the DV Mark Little Jazz are tempting choices.
  • I find the CODE 25 quite boomy, it's farking loud for an 8" speaker but to try and compensate that cab boxiness it felt like the bass dominated, a bit like the Mustang 1's did.  

Though as people said, if an amp model was above 5 on the volume and the actual channel master was at 2 it was *loud* in the room.  

What about one of those THR100 heads?  I've not tried one myself but I remember hearing good things.
  • Actually the CODE 25 has a 10 inch speaker not an 8 inch.
    One day I'm going to make a guitar out of butter to experience just how well it actually plays.
  • Plectrum said:
    Actually the CODE 25 has a 10 inch speaker not an 8 inch.
    I think that I also need to try a CODE 25 - I think That @Alnico might have one and can advise?
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2896
    Code 25 is a 10" and it's a great amp. The master is quite touchy at the lower end of the scale though so you'd have to be careful for late night practices. Or have a set of quiet presets with the channel volume right down - afaik the channel volume doesn't affect anything other than volume (ie doesn't act/distort like a valve power section would).