Nice 2013 Historic with a neck repair

What's Hot
SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
After praising Coda on the forum today I think they have got the price a little bit wrong on this one. A second hand premium R9 (it's a 2013), and aged,  is worth, I reckon, Maybe £3500 retail. Something like that. Some say 50% for a headstock break, but this is a beautiful repair. Just look at it!  So maybe £2k to £2.5k if it plays like a keeper.
But not £3k.  Anybody tempted by this?

http://www.coda-music.com/gibson-custom-select-aged-paul-secondhand-p-18165.html

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    I don't know if I could ever be truly "tempted" by (as in seriously considering buying) a £3k guitar...

It's a great repair, although if your estimates are in the right ballpark it's definitely too much. Knock about £500 off it.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • 50% cheaper seems to be what happens in usa, but not here. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • If I were ever going to be truly tempted by a 3k guitar, it would have to be a proper custom build from Feline or similar, which would get me a lot more guitar than any Gibson would.  And they might even be happy to put a couple of small rods in the neck to stop it ever breaking.

That said, the repair looks good, although whether it is structurally sound or (fingers crossed) improved in strength, I don't know.  

• Van_HaydenVan_Hayden Frets: 437
    edited February 2014
    Well it's close to 1/2 price. You'll be looking around £5k for one of those new aged like that. Guitar Village are asking well over £4k for a used 2011 aged 59, so this doesn't look so bad given it's the 2013 spec. Still wouldn't buy it though!
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72298
    A repair as good as that should only knock 10% or so off the price, so if an unrepaired one is worth £3.5K, £3K for it sounds fine to me if you want the guitar.

If you don't think so you can always buy an unbroken one and break it yourself later…

(Personally, I'd prefer to see the break reinforced, but that would make it more visible not less, and worth less even though it would be stronger.)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • jaygtrjaygtr Frets: 218
    As guitars that are reliced cost more to buy. An authentic neck break should increase its value. ;)

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Good point!
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72298
    jaygtr said:
    As guitars that are reliced cost more to buy. An authentic neck break should increase its value. ;)

No… fake wear increases the value, but real wear and damage decreases the value :).

A genuinely worn modern reissue guitar is worth less than the same guitar in new condition, but a factory-worn one costs more!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom